Leg cramps

Options
I have been getting cramps in my calfs in the middle of the night that almost bring me to tears.
I will wake up between 2and 4 am with a very bad cramp in mr right calf. I will rub it for a while and bring me knee up to me chest to try to releave the pain. But I am wondering what may be causing the pain. I did not workout yesterday , but I did the night before the last one happened. I am drinking about 7 glasses of water every day so I don't think I am dehydrated but I might be wrong, it is very hot here in the deep south.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to prevent more of these in the future?

Replies

• s_sanchez
    s_sanchez Posts: 96
    Options
    I've heard that leg cramps could be due ot a lack of potasium. I got them a lot when I was pregnant and was told to eat bananas and it seemed to help me. And definately keep hydrated, 7 glasses may not be enough if it is really hot.
  • Wishful
    Wishful Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I'm in the south. I don't know if it really helps, but when my sons played football, we kept dill pickles and bananas in the house and they rarely cramped up.
  • suezkue
    suezkue Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I actually had leg cramps that woke me from my sleep when I was pregnant. These are no fun! :noway:

Here is a link to a site that might be helpful to you. They list a few different reason as to why you could be having them. http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/legcramp.htm

Hope this helps!
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I have been getting cramps in my calfs in the middle of the night that almost bring me to tears.
    I will wake up between 2and 4 am with a very bad cramp in mr right calf. I will rub it for a while and bring me knee up to me chest to try to releave the pain. But I am wondering what may be causing the pain. I did not workout yesterday , but I did the night before the last one happened. I am drinking about 7 glasses of water every day so I don't think I am dehydrated but I might be wrong, it is very hot here in the deep south.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to prevent more of these in the future?

I so feel your pain, this used to happen to me all the time when I was working 15 hour days, it hurts so bad! I've found that if I stretch before bed and before getting up it helps a lot. A couple things I do : sit in bed with your legs straight and grab your toes and stretch your calves that way; another thing to do is sit the same way but point your toes and hold it, do this a few times, it stretches the muscles in the other direction I think., then draw circles with your pointed toes to stretch; or stand with your toes on the stairs and bring your heels down until you feel the stretch, hold it a few seconds and repeat a few times. I hope this helps, lots of massaging your calves throughout the day helps too. I don't have the problem as much as I used to, so hopefully you get through this quickly. I would say though that if you don't feel relief after a week or two, go to the doctor, just to make sure that there isn't anything wrong.
    Best of luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I get them too - it's a side effect of the Tamoxifen I take - bananas really help me. Dually - for running I don't cramp as much and if I've been eating them, I dont get the leg cramps at night either.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    When I get them i force myself out of bed aand stand with both feet flat on the floor and it goes away. Oh boy does it hurt. Wish I knew what cause them. Mine usally happen when I stretch my leg out in bed.
    Calie
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I get these too, or used to. Spinach is another good source of potasium. Also strawberries contain a natural anti-inflamatory.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 20
    Options
    Banana's are a good recommendation, but they don't have as much potassium as rumors say they do. A food HIGH in potassium are pistachios! Also, tooooo much protein can also cause cramps. Watch your electrolytes as well, and water intake and you should be great. Feel better!!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 20
    Options
    Oh, also forgot...when you stretch your leg (usually when you get a cramp) you tend to stretch with your toes pointed (this contracts your calf muscle, so to get rid of a leg cramp...do the opposite....flex your foot to stretch the muscle in your calf (Flat foot, toes pointed towards your knee). It hurts like the ****ens to do this, so do it slowly, but as soon as the muscle is stretched back out you will have immediate relief! I would rather have 15 seconds of severe pain than several minutes of moderate pain! Hope this helps!!
  • smadag1
    smadag1 Posts: 1,368
    Options
    The weird thing is my leg is still sore like I ran a marathon yesterday, but it is only my right leg. I will try more water today plus I will have a banana (does banana pudding count:wink: )