Hypothyroidism

Options

Replies

• KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    FYI everyone there is a thyroid disorder group on MFP!
  • alex6971
    alex6971 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    hey all. I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism which seems to be the huge contributer to my 30 lb weight gain. I have an incredibly hard time loosing weight and was wondering if anyone else shares in my same struggles!!!

I feel you pain. I was diagnosed end of 2008 and since then have gained well over 3 stone (although some of this came with stopping smoking too).

I agree with all the other comments that once you get the dosage of medication right then you should be fine. I set off on 50mg of Levothyroxine and am now on 125mg. This seems to work for me. I started MFP in Jan 2012 and have lost 18lbs so far.

Once I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid I hid behind this saying my weight gain was totally down to my disorder and not the "junk" I was eating and lack of exercise.
  • alex6971
    Options
    So, if I can ask, how difficult of a time have any of you that have been officially diagnosed actually getting that diagnosis? My wife exhibits all the symptoms of hypothyrodism (in fact I downloaded a checklist of 124 symptoms, of which she had 64) but the doctors insist that she's "normal" and refuse to do other tests. We demanded a referral to a endocrinologist and he dismissed the checklist and said her blood work was "fine" and that she was just fat and should just try to loose some weight.

I am 100% convinced that she has an issue, but all these doctors seem not to care to even bother doing the additional tests. We have an appointment with a naturopath that specializes in metabolic disorders tomorrow, of which I have high hopes, but still not sure. We've been dieting and she's been exercising more frequently lately but after a year of trying to loose weight while I've gone down about 65lbs now she's lost and regained the same 10-20lbs over and over.

My doctors treated me for depression first before they dug deeper and realised I had this disorder. I didnt really show alot of symptoms apart from being tired all the time so not sure why they thought o test me.

Good luck for tomorrow. Hope your wife gets some answers.
  • vmoyer2002
    vmoyer2002 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. Was taking synthroid. After 2 yrs of taking it Ive recently moved away from my doctor & now have no insurance. I know this will make it harder for me to lose the weight...but I'm not discouraged by it. I'm hoping within a few months I'll be able to afford health insurance again or atleast just spend the out of pocket cost to get blood works done & prescriptions filled.
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    So, if I can ask, how difficult of a time have any of you that have been officially diagnosed actually getting that diagnosis? My wife exhibits all the symptoms of hypothyrodism (in fact I downloaded a checklist of 124 symptoms, of which she had 64) but the doctors insist that she's "normal" and refuse to do other tests. We demanded a referral to a endocrinologist and he dismissed the checklist and said her blood work was "fine" and that she was just fat and should just try to loose some weight.

I am 100% convinced that she has an issue, but all these doctors seem not to care to even bother doing the additional tests. We have an appointment with a naturopath that specializes in metabolic disorders tomorrow, of which I have high hopes, but still not sure. We've been dieting and she's been exercising more frequently lately but after a year of trying to loose weight while I've gone down about 65lbs now she's lost and regained the same 10-20lbs over and over.

My doctors treated me for depression first before they dug deeper and realised I had this disorder. I didnt really show alot of symptoms apart from being tired all the time so not sure why they thought o test me.

Yeah, she's been on anti-depressants for years now and she has 0 energy for anything, doesn't want to get out of bed in the morning (and only does because our 2 year old is very active, otherwise she wouldn't). Other areas such as sex drive have gone off a cliff, she's freezing constantly (I can LITERALLY be dripping sweat and she's wearning sweats and wrapped up in a heating blanket and shivering) and yet the doctors just seem to chalk it up to being fat and lazy (which while a bit chubby, she's never been this overweight and was WAY more active in the past) and if the numbers seem normal on the basic tests they are totally unwilling to dive in further. At 32 she shouldn't have to live like this and I refuse to believe that she's "fine".
  • alex6971
    Options

Yeah, she's been on anti-depressants for years now and she has 0 energy for anything, doesn't want to get out of bed in the morning (and only does because our 2 year old is very active, otherwise she wouldn't). Other areas such as sex drive have gone off a cliff, she's freezing constantly (I can LITERALLY be dripping sweat and she's wearning sweats and wrapped up in a heating blanket and shivering) and yet the doctors just seem to chalk it up to being fat and lazy (which while a bit chubby, she's never been this overweight and was WAY more active in the past) and if the numbers seem normal on the basic tests they are totally unwilling to dive in further. At 32 she shouldn't have to live like this and I refuse to believe that she's "fine".

I can totally sympathise with your wife. I had all the symptoms that you say your wife is experiencing. Hope she gets sorted soon.
  • Marll
    Options
    Saw the naturopath yesterday and talked with her for about 2 hours. Right off the bat from looking at old blood work she decided the following:

1. She DOES have low thyroid. Period. Further tests that other doctors were unwilling to run are going to be run soon.
    2. She has a SEVERE B12 defficiency despite eating a low carb diet high in B12 naturally. The other doctors said nothing of this.
    3. Her insomnia and lack of energy are caused by the fact that her anti depressant and a beta blocking for migraines are highly sedating, but basically destroy the ability to produce melatonin.
    4. Her blood sugar is high, in the pre-diabetic range despite being on a low carb diet for almost a year. That is very common in low thyroid and the other doctors said nothing of it.
    5. Her cholesterol has gone up despite being on a low carb diet. Her ratios are very very good, but the number itself has risen over the course of a year...that again speaks to low thyroid.
    6. She previously tested positive for ANA (Anti Nuclear Antibodies). She is basically attacking her own body. The other doctors said nothing of this.
    7. There are symptoms of gluten intolerance that she will be getting tested for soon.

She has also advised to stay away from soy protein as that can inhibit thyroid function.

At the very least this doctor was willing to sit and listen, actually take the time to interpret blood work and wasn't in the "You're just fat and lazy, loose some weight" camp. I'm hopeful, though my wife is still skeptical of any doctors at this point.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed due to cancer and take 137 of synthroid. As long as I take it every day and exercise I have no problem losing weight. I consumer at least a gallon of water a day.
  • jamiesadler
    Options

If your insurance will pay for it have her go see an endocrinologist, a regular doctor will often miss the signs or discount her issues.
  • Marll
    Options
    We had to fight to see an endo. The endo said her basic bloodwork was fine and refused to look into it any further. He basically told her that her problem was mental (being lazy) and physical (being fat) but CERTAINLY NOT hormonal.
  • jamiesadler
    Options
    We had to fight to see an endo. The endo said her basic bloodwork was fine and refused to look into it any further. He basically told her that her problem was mental (being lazy) and physical (being fat) but CERTAINLY NOT hormonal.

Wow. That sucks. There are some OTC stuff that may help give her some energy. Good luck
  • Marll
    Options
    Yeah, what I've come down to myself is that MOST doctors are quacks. If I was as bad at my job as all the doctors that my wife has seen have been I'd be basically unemployable. They just never listen, only treat a symptom and not the whole person, and are normally just interested in pushing drugs and the same old dietary advice that hasn't worked for most people for the last 40 years.
  • alex6971
    Options
    Saw the naturopath yesterday and talked with her for about 2 hours. Right off the bat from looking at old blood work she decided the following:

1. She DOES have low thyroid. Period. Further tests that other doctors were unwilling to run are going to be run soon.
    2. She has a SEVERE B12 defficiency despite eating a low carb diet high in B12 naturally. The other doctors said nothing of this.
    3. Her insomnia and lack of energy are caused by the fact that her anti depressant and a beta blocking for migraines are highly sedating, but basically destroy the ability to produce melatonin.
    4. Her blood sugar is high, in the pre-diabetic range despite being on a low carb diet for almost a year. That is very common in low thyroid and the other doctors said nothing of it.
    5. Her cholesterol has gone up despite being on a low carb diet. Her ratios are very very good, but the number itself has risen over the course of a year...that again speaks to low thyroid.
    6. She previously tested positive for ANA (Anti Nuclear Antibodies). She is basically attacking her own body. The other doctors said nothing of this.
    7. There are symptoms of gluten intolerance that she will be getting tested for She has also advised to stay away from soy protein as that can inhibit thyroid function.

At the very least this doctor was willing to sit and listen, actually take the time to interpret blood work and wasn't in the "You're just fat and lazy, loose some weight" camp. I'm hopeful, though my wife is still skeptical of any doctors at this point.

Wow me and your wife sound very similar. I too have a severe B12 deficiency which i have B12 injections for every 3 months. I too eat quite alot of foods with B12 but my body just doesnt absorb it in the normal way hence the reason for the injections.

Glad you got some answers and you wife starts to feel better soon.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Have you tried getting Icelandic kelp or tri-iodine in your system? I have hypothyroidism and super supplements suggested I try taking that to help me lose weight. People with hypothyroidism dont always have the iodine they need in there system.
  • AEL79
    AEL79 Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello, I also have hypo thyroidism. Diagnosed almost 10 yrs ago. I take thyroxine 175 cg and I take it everyday. When I was first diagnosed, I too, was worried about not being able to lose the weight. But believe me, you CAN do it :) I lost 125 lbs in 2007. Just stick with it and NEVER give up. I do admit-I gave up after I lost it all due to MAJOR drama in my life. Wish I hadn't, but I did. So now I'm starting all over again. We're all strong women! We're awesome! We'll do it :D
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    there's also books out there especially for us, i'v just ordered "the thyroid revolution: manage your master gland of metabolism for lasting weight loss" by mary j shomon in amazon (i was recommended that in a similar post) and joined the group 'hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism' in here.
    i also noticed if i ate healthy and kept within my cal allowance i lost, but if i ate rubbish and stayed in my cal allowance i gained - quickly :huh:
    hope that helps. feel free to add me, the more the merrier :flowerforyou:
  • sollyn
    sollyn Posts: 179
    Options
    Hi, I have hypothyroidism, lupus and arthritis, I was diagnosed with the thyroid first and can remember the exhaustion, but it never went away until they gave me steroids and a cocktail of other drugs to treat the Lupus.
    I find that with the calorie intake, some days I can ignore the hunger, but other days I am desperate for food all day. Add to that the muscle fatigue and general pain I am always in, I have managed to gain 2 stone without having the energy to do anything about it!
    I am loving all the support and tips and general motivation on this web site, not to mention the calorie counter!
    I have yet to weigh in for my second week, but I have been religiously filling in the tables. So I am expecting to have lost a little.
    It was my doc that put me on to this web site.
    I think if you can all do this, I am sure I can achieve some of what you are achieving Don't lose heart. Keep at it.
  • gabbymom2
    gabbymom2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Hi...although I haven't been diagnosed with this, I truly believe that I have it! Gonna go to the doctor next month and I am
    pushing for the test to check that out!
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this... phew, how long has it taken you, and do you find any certain foods (besides the obvious, soy/high fiber (near taking the T4 pill- whichever pill you take) that are helpful in losing?
  • dalmiechick45
    dalmiechick45 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried that now that I have this it's hopeless to loose the weight.

It isn't hopeless, don't ever think that, don't give up.

I had my thyroid removed in July 2010, and during the first following year (while trying to get my medication levels just right) I just kept gaining and gaining weight. And no matter how careful I was, I couldn't stop it, I couldn't lose anything.

However, my levels have been stable since last August and I've lost 10 kg since. Still got 10 more to go, but there's a proof that it's possible.