Hello :-) Athritis help!

Options
Hi Everyone.

I'm Mandy, I've been doing my fitness pal for about 5 weeks and I've only lost 3lbs.

I don't want to lose a huge amount but want to tone my legs and tummy plus lose a few inches. Plus tone to support my joints!

I have arthritis so I'm very limited to what excersie I can do. I was unable to do anything until 8 weeks ago and was house bound. But I started a biological drug which is helping.

I don't know if it's the medication or something else but nothings happening!

Before having my daughter 4 years ago I was 174lbs during and after pregnancy I went down to 125lbs but due to my inability to move I've gone up to 138lbs. I've been that for 2 years. I'll go up a pound and down a pound but that's as far has it'll move.

I'm on 1200 calories a day which I tend to stick to and I excersie 4 times a week on a cross-trainer. I starred off doing 5 mins I'm now upto 20 mins.

I just can't lose weight! Help

Replies

• FruityLoops
    FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm on methotrexate for my arthritis but not a biologic [yet], but I have friends who are taking them and as I understand it some of the biologics do make it harder to lose weight, the ones I've heard people complaining about are Prednisone, and Enbrel. That's not to say you can't lose weight, just that it takes more effort!

As for exercise it entirely depends which joints you have affected I guess, sounds like you're doing really well on the cross trainer though so I'd defo stick to that, exercise is supposed to help autoimmune arthritis so I think it's a case of do as much as you can do, just know your limits!

I originally just started with walking around the block, and when I started I couldn't even get all the way round without pain, but now I do Aquafit, use the recumbant cycle, treadmill and some weights at the gym, and cycle and do dance dvds/games at home to keep fit :-)

Best of luck with the biologic anyways, sounds like it's working well :-D
    (feel free to friend me if you like btw)
  • MandT82
    Options
    Hi Loopy.

Thanks for your reply. We are actually friends on Facebook... Lol so fancy bumping into you on here!

I'm Mandy on Enbrel with PSA ;-) So you know the full story from F&A group.

I'm trying to build up my muscles To support my joints so when it does flare hopefully have better support!

Xxx
  • FruityLoops
    FruityLoops Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha, small world isn't it!! :-D Particularly handy that I have the same profile piccie on both!

That's it, there was a thread a while back on F&A about the benefits of exercise which is actually what prompted me to do more than just walking round the block :-) I think the worst thing we can do is sit around and just let it take our joints without a fight!!

Lol, so funny bumping into you, especially since I don't go into the forums that much!