Is there such thing as too MUCH exercise?

Options
Okay so I am completely and utterly addicted and in love with exercise.
I love the endorphins it releases, it makes me so happy and helped completely cure my depression.
I love the feeling of power, of being strong. Beating Personal Best's.

I am doing a Cert to become a qualified Personal Trainer atm, so we do quite a bit of prac work with that....
all up I do about 10 or 11 hours of exercise per week.

Days I'm at school (just 2) i will do bout 2.5 each and then other days I will do usually 1-1.5 hours with one rest day per week.

Is this too much? Do you think that there is such thing as too much?

I am so much happier and energetic than I have EVER been!

Replies

• lookslikeyoda
    lookslikeyoda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    No way, I'd do what your doing, aslong as your getting rest then its all cool :) x
  • TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Make sure you do give yourself a rest..

But apart from that - crack on - your doing great!! xx
  • Peta22
    Peta22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I honestly wish I could love exersizing... I've been at the point where I've enjoyed it before but that's rarely lasted more than a few weeks - the longest time was a few months. I think what your doing (studying to be a PT) sounds perfect for you! Congrats on finding a career path you love so much! :D
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Absolutely fine as long as you get your rest day in. Does wonders for my depression too, why would you ever stop? Lol. Its a wonderful thing! X
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses :)
  • devilblkdress
    Options
    I say HECK NO! But I had a few different factors going on in my life when I was told yes by a doctor :-( Here is my story;
    Last year out of the I had a grand Mal seizure for the first time ever at 32 years old and have no been having them at least ever other week since with-out being able to control them with medication. The doctors tried to blame this; I was exercising compulsively. Truth be told, I hate to actually get up and exercise but I love the endorphin rush once I am finally moving! I was going through a tough time in my life~just a weird funk for no reason. I found myself working out 2-3 hours a day. This was on top of taking probably 2 sugar-free energy drinks a day and drinking coffee. I also was taking an antidepressant to so my system was probably on super over-load.
    Granted it has now been a year. The neurologist (I have had a 2nd and 3rd opinion) all stand by that it was a combo of the over-exertion of exercise nervousa, energy drinks and too high of wellbutrin that probably caused the micro brain bleed that is causing the seizures. Crazy! Right? So now I have worked so hard to get healthy and lose all this weight just too fry my brain. Grrrrrr
    Just be careful and not become obsessed. But obliviously if you are asking you are aware of your actions :-) Good luck in all you do!!!
  • betaleonis
    Options
    Just curious about rest days - I've just started an exercise regime this week (Morning jog with the dogs, calisthenic conditioning, and evening workouts at the gym). My muscles are aching and it feels GRAND! But wondering if I should give myself a break..?
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Yes there is. Its when you push your central nervous system (CNS) too hard. You'll know when you're doing too much - you'll feel lethargic, sick and lack motivation. Hard to get there mind, most people just don't like to train hard.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Just curious about rest days - I've just started an exercise regime this week (Morning jog with the dogs, calisthenic conditioning, and evening workouts at the gym). My muscles are aching and it feels GRAND! But wondering if I should give myself a break..?

It really depends on what you are doing in your exercise regime, if using any weights, etc (they are awesome btw, get in there!) Make sure with weights to only do them at least every second day or if you wanna do every day (you exercise) rotate different major muscle groups. So maybe do chest, arms, shoulders one day then legs the next. But sure, if you feel sore you CAN push through but when starting out it is good to not start off doing too much. 3-4 days per week at most as your body will be adjusting and be like "HELP ME WHAT IS HAPPENING ARHHH?!?!"
  • p0stdramatic
    Options
    Yes, there is such a thing as too much exercise. However, if you are feeling great and continuing to make progress, then you are not doing too much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    yes there is such thing, but i dont think the amount you do qualifies. just make sure you do get at least 1 day rest per week, and that you are getting adequate nutrition by eating back your exercise cals.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I think what you're doing is fine. There actually is such a thing as too much exercise, but I don't believe with the time you're putting in you have to worry about that. Take your rest days, and the occassional rest week (vacation), which allows your ligaments and tendons time to catch up on the progress you're making with your muscles. Just make sure you're staying in tune with your body, if you find you're not progressing or even moving backward take a few days off to allow for some possibly much needed repair. And don't forget to fuel your body!
  • betaleonis
    Options

It really depends on what you are doing in your exercise regime, if using any weights, etc (they are awesome btw, get in there!) Make sure with weights to only do them at least every second day or if you wanna do every day (you exercise) rotate different major muscle groups. So maybe do chest, arms, shoulders one day then legs the next. But sure, if you feel sore you CAN push through but when starting out it is good to not start off doing too much. 3-4 days per week at most as your body will be adjusting and be like "HELP ME WHAT IS HAPPENING ARHHH?!?!"