Feet going numb on the elliptical

Options

Replies

• skyeashlee
    skyeashlee Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes !!!!! so now i wear thongs/flip flops/jandles and dont get that pins and needles/numb sensation but instead get blisters etc, ... i prefer the blisters hehe....
  • amilani1
    amilani1 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My feet go numb on the eliptical as well. I tried loosening my laces a smidge, and changing the direction. It helped. When I was pushing in the opposite direction, I tried to focus the weight on the heels of my feet. Hope it helps. :happy:
  • melt57
    melt57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Yep, my toes get tingly. Some have suggested to switch and go backwards for a while, but I find that incredibly difficult. I just lean back and put more pressure on my heels. I was thinking of trying to increase the ramp angle, but I don't know if I'm ready for that yet!!
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Push through your heals on the elliptical.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    I have the same problem here also. Always go numb after about 10 min. Nothing seems to help. I tend to avoid it because of that and stick to walking, precor, biking or jogging, though i do notice numbness with those also sometimes, especially the precor.
  • danielle1983cov
    Options
    This happens to me too! It also happens on the rowing machine, the bike and the treadmill. I definitely think I work on the balls of my feet too much. On the elliptical I try going backwards for a while which does seem to work a little. I even switched to bigger trainers thinking they were too tight, but it didn't seem to work!
  • ruthiebabe78
    Options
    Both my feet go numb as well. I've loosened my laces and still numb. I do lean back and like another poster said, kind of march on the elliptical when they start going numb. Usually that really helps.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too, that's why I don't use mine much anymore, prefer to walk instead.
  • lovinmysoldier
    lovinmysoldier Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I remember in my cycling class the instructor asked this question and her recommendation was to get a hard soled shoe, one that is not made for impact. I kind of have a 3 tier shoe system. I buy shoes for running, when I need new ones my current ones get bumped down to all other exercise, and then to elliptical and cycling.

I think because of the cushion which is made for impact your foot doesn't come off the pedals to allow circulation. At least I have found this to be true for me.
  • Honey_gold_queen
    Honey_gold_queen Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have this problem constantly too on the CrossTrainer. I have tried to adjust everything, shoelaces, stance, position of foot. I have extremely high arches, so it could be a support thing. Good luck figuring out how to fix it. I just push through and it eventually gets better.
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yep, this happens to me too. According to Dr Oz the laces are indeed too tight. He suggested tying your laces the opposite direction - or should I say LACING your shoes the opposite direction so they tie at the toe. I'm sure it'd look awfully odd, but I do need to try this myself! It's typically just my toes though - and very, very annoying.
  • ckenning
    Options
    That has happened to me many times...I tie my laces to tight I figured out.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when my laces are too tight. Especially at the front of my foot (near my toes). And if my feet aren't placed well and I am relying on the balls of my feet. So I adjust. And use reverse as well.
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem in the past, too I have found that changing direction every 5 minutes has really helped (and works the muscles differently, too).
  • lovelyrose11
    lovelyrose11 Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue! My hubby makes fun of me all of the time. I have loosened my shoes to the point where they felt like they were gonna fall off and my feet still go numb. I have no idea why!
  • tinattinat
    tinattinat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    My feet used to go numb, too. So I started do the backwards setting on it. I think it was forward for 5 minutes and backwards for 2 minutes. When I did that, it wouldn't really happen. Don't know why it happens in the first place, though. But the last couple times I've got on one, I went to 30 minutes and no numbness at all. Maybe try a different machine or a class or something! Change things up!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I will +1 all the people who mentioned weight distribution. Something about the elliptical motion makes you lean forward/push with the balls of your feet typically. What I usually do is:

1) Lift feet off of the pedals slightly at the top of the motion for a little bit.
    or
    2) Purposely lean way back so you're forced to use your heels
    or
    3) Lift toes/ball of foot off of the pedals for a minute or so, periodically. Only your heels should touch the pedals for this period. Kinda difficult at first.

All of these things relieve the tingling almost immediately.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You might try a different pair of shoes. Min felt like that with one but not the other. Actually the best thing for me on the elliptical is Birkenstocks! Funny I know but it's true!
  • craig1970
    craig1970 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I remember in my cycling class the instructor asked this question and her recommendation was to get a hard soled shoe, one that is not made for impact. I kind of have a 3 tier shoe system. I buy shoes for running, when I need new ones my current ones get bumped down to all other exercise, and then to elliptical and cycling.

I think because of the cushion which is made for impact your foot doesn't come off the pedals to allow circulation. At least I have found this to be true for me.

This sounds like problem and the solution! Nice input.
    I'll try tennis shoes instead of running shoes on the elliptical to see it it helps me, thanks.
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Had this exact same problem after I gained all this weight. A friend suggested I go to a running store here, Marathon Sports.

I figurd they would try to sell my $300 shoes LOL! Nope I got orthotics - sports gels and BINGO!! Just a $20 fix.