Confused at weigh in results

Options
So I was on a plateau for about 3 months, even gaining a bit of weight until the last two weeks.

My last logged weigh in was 134.6. I thought it was sill going well as on Friday and Sunday I had mid-week weigh-ins and I was 134.2 and then 133.8. Great!

I then left it until yesteday (my logging day) and it said 134.8! I left it again until today to double check and it said 134.6. The same as last week.

I was sure it was going down, so why the sudden change? I haven't changed what I've done except for yesterday when I had about 1200 calories instead of 1500 like usual, but that was not my fault. I don't think that would make a difference anyway...

Any ideas on why this is? It's really frustrating and I'm losing motivation.

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you ate, if it makes you retain water, what activaties you've done. If your repairing muscle you'll retain water. When you've eatten, if you change the times you eat and say you weigh yourself in the morning before food and water it still might change depending on when and what youve eatten, activity, differences in sleep etc. It might be fat, water or muscle.

Even when you measure your say waist, the same weird changes happen, but Im usually more concerned about that since I can still be muscle-e and weigh more and look better
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you ate, if it makes you retain water, what activaties you've done. If your repairing muscle you'll retain water. When you've eatten, if you change the times you eat and say you weigh yourself in the morning before food and water it still might change depending on when and what youve eatten, activity, differences in sleep etc. It might be fat, water or muscle.

Even when you measure your say waist, the same weird changes happen, but Im usually more concerned about that since I can still be muscle-e and weigh more and look better

I looked at my food diaries though and my nutrition information was very similar. And I always weigh myself in the same conditions :S I'd be less confused if I had only weighed in one, but i double checked both when it was going down and when itr went up... I'm so fed up of this plateau my patience is finally slipping :S
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    At 134.x Ib - I'd say you've probably got very little (if anything) to need to lose...

With less than 1Ib fluctuation, my feeling is you're probably at a good weight (I've seen your pictures and you look fab by the way !!).

I can weigh myself at different times of the day and fluctuate by anything upto 3-4Ib so I think you're actually maintaining very well :-)
  • annavt09
    annavt09 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    ditto to butlersoft. Don't stress about the scale!!!!!! It's just a number. Go by clothing fit, energy level, etc.
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I agree you look great. Try not to worry about small fluctuations in weight...it happens. Especially around TOM!

If you really want to get "toned," as your profile says, you should start eating more and lifting weights. Trust me, you won't bulk up. Here's a story for you to read...

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • snowbab
    Options
    At 134.x Ib - I'd say you've probably got very little (if anything) to need to lose...

With less than 1Ib fluctuation, my feeling is you're probably at a good weight (I've seen your pictures and you look fab by the way !!).

I can weigh myself at different times of the day and fluctuate by anything upto 3-4Ib so I think you're actually maintaining very well :-)

Thanks. I'm actually quite tall though (5"8) so I still have 10 pounds to go to my goal weight. One of my photo's is actually me at my goal weight for inspiration. I've heard the last 10 are hard to lose but 3+ months plateau seems a LOT :S Thank you for the comment though it's assuring to know I'll probab;y be ok at maintaining :D
  • mirgss
    Options
    Who is telling you that you need to lose 10 more pounds??? I am 5'3" and weigh more than you.
  • sandown12
    sandown12 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    5ft 8 and you want to ne 124lbs no seriously?
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options

Thanks. I'm actually quite tall though (5"8) so I still have 10 pounds to go to my goal weight. One of my photo's is actually me at my goal weight for inspiration. I've heard the last 10 are hard to lose but 3+ months plateau seems a LOT :S Thank you for the comment though it's assuring to know I'll probab;y be ok at maintaining :D

I'd be interested to discover how many calories you're taking on board. If you've cut back too far - then it doesn't matter how much exercise you're doing - the body will go into starvation mode as it hangs onto what you are giving it. Bizarrely (and it took me a LONG time to get my head around this) .... you DO need to eat to lose weight too !!

:-)
  • snowbab
    Options
    I do realise it may seem low to some, but I actually only came out of an eatind disorder hospital 11 months ago. I gained more weight once I was out to become comfortable around food (which i am now, YAY!) and then decided to lose weight healthily back to that weight I was at out of hosptal (124). It's still a healthy BMI :) 122 would be the lowest healthy weight for my height.

I have recently been thinking about lifting weight and eating more to tone, but I can't afford the gym so I'm not sure what i could do for free at home to get good results.
  • snowbab
    Options

I'd be interested to discover how many calories you're taking on board. If you've cut back too far - then it doesn't matter how much exercise you're doing - the body will go into starvation mode as it hangs onto what you are giving it. Bizarrely (and it took me a LONG time to get my head around this) .... you DO need to eat to lose weight too !!

:-)

It took me a while as well haha. But yes I do usually eat about 1500-1550 calories net a day, eating exercise calories too. It doesn't seem to have made a difference in my weight loss, but I haven't gained either so i'm sticking with it :)
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    i'v read that the most accurate time of day to weigh yourself is first thing in the morning, before any food/drink. try measuring yourself weekly too if your lacking motivation. hope that helps :)
  • mirgss
    Options
    Congrats on defeating your ED!

Gyms can be insanely expensive so I getcha there.

Check out nerdfitness. I'm serious. They've got some great stuff on there..like this:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I am with mirgss. Instead of concentrating on weight, why not gaining lean muscle mass. It will make your body tighter, fit in smaller clothes and adds definition. See example below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852
  • snowbab
    Options
    Congrats on defeating your ED!

Gyms can be insanely expensive so I getcha there.

Check out nerdfitness. I'm serious. They've got some great stuff on there..like this:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Thank you ^_^ Life is SO much better now haha

Thank you for the link this looks perfect! I'm definitely going to start fcusing on toning now :D I might as well if my body has decided it doesn't want to lose any more haha. Maybe if i get more muscle I'll naturally lose more anyway!

That other article was really interesting too about that girl's transformation! It's pushed me to focus on that now instead.

Thank you!
  • snowbab
    Options
    I am with mirgss. Instead of concentrating on weight, why not gaining lean muscle mass. It will make your body tighter, fit in smaller clothes and adds definition. See example below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/392784-skinny-fat-vs-fit-photo?hl=skinny+fat&page=2#posts-5441852

WOW! Even more motivating to turn to weight lifting! Thanks :)
    Now I jut need to figure out how to change my diet for weight lifting...
    How much shouold a person eat? I know it's more that if losing, but does that mean maintenance or more than maintenance?
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    that exactly! Weighed myself on Monday, just for the heck of it weighed myself this morning it said -4lbs... I doubt that so, I will just weigh on Monday again and my bet is I won't be down 4lbs!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

WOW! Even more motivating to turn to weight lifting! Thanks :)
    Now I jut need to figure out how to change my diet for weight lifting...
    How much should a person eat? I know it's more that if losing, but does that mean maintenance or more than maintenance?

How much you eat depends on your routine. If you do something like a P90X (where you burn a ton of calories 500-700 per session) then the minimal requirements are around 1800-2000. If you did something like JM 30DS then it would more than likely be 1600. Either way it's a process that you would alter over months. If you start at 1600 and notice you are losing weight, then you increase your calories by 200 and repeat process. Your goal is to eat an estimated maintenance amount for a month and then slowly add calories to allow for increase lean muscle mass. But once you figure out your workout routine, we can approach that.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Go a longer time between weighing in. And don't weigh one day after the last.
    If you are fluctuating too much from week to week, and day to day... maybe try every 2 weeks, or even once a month.
  • drobinson73
    Options
    I am stuck on losing weight myself and I am usually 500 to 700 under my calories consumption. It's not because I don't eat, just what I do eat doesn't have a lot of calories in it and I am not real hungry all that much. I eat fruits and vegetable every day and 8 glasses of water most every day and still I am stuck. So your all saying I need to be closer to my suggested calorie intake to actually lose more?