how do you make sure you get enough water?

Options
I hope I am not posting double, but I have searched and haven't found much that helped on this topic. I like water, I don't mind drinking it, I don't particularly want to drink my calories, so water it is. However, I find a hard time just "remembering" to drink. At first I drank a glass of water whenever I was hungry first thing just to make sure my body wasn't confused and giving me hunger signals when it really meant that it was thirsty. Now I don't actually feel hungry that often so I get somewhere between 0 and 3 glasses of water a day average. What do you all do to help "remember" to drink water?

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i'd like help on this too. i used to have no problem drinking all my water a day but now my routine has changed and i never remember to drink now. about 4 glasses a day max and then what ever i drink in tea. that's it now. i just can't seem to want to drink water at all during the day like i used to....
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I bring a big stainless steel water bottle and fill it up and plop it next to me at my desk. Generally, if it's there, I'll drink it.

Also, I've calculated how many of them I have to drink in order to down 12 glasses of water, and I make sure that I drink that amount before allowing myself any "extraneous" beverages (read: diet soda).
  • Motivated_Mama
    Options
    I use 1L Mason jars. I start every morning by drinking a glass full, which is 4 cups. Halfway through the day, I drink another glass full. If I workout, I have a 2 cup water bottle that I make sure to finish off. If I'm thirsty at the end of the day, I drink another Mason jar full. My advice is to not drink one cup at a time - drink 4.
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I find logging it on here to help me remember - my method is to try to drink 4 glasses before lunchtime (I always drink one or two immediately when I wake up), 6 by the time I leave work, and 2 in the evenings.

At work what helps me is to keep a large pitcher on my desk and know that I have to finish it by the end of the day (and it keeps staring at me reminding me to drink!).

By getting into the habit of remember to log it when I drink it, I know if I am not on track and will then go drink a full glass.
  • zipperhead76
    zipperhead76 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Usually I fill my Nalgene bottle everytime it's empty. But I sit at a desk all day, and it's easy to remember to do. Otherwise, i'll buy 2 of the liter bottles from 7-11 and drink them before the day is over.
  • Cmh1211
    Cmh1211 Posts: 104
    Options
    i usually as a rule of thumb drink a tall glass of water before every meal. i do not start eating till i down that glass of water. this also helps to insure that u are not hungry after ur done eating. every time i diet i use this rule and it has helped me and many ppl i have told it to. i eat 5 times a day so that right there is a gaurenteed 5 glasses plus i drink water while im eating.
  • garnet1483
    garnet1483 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I have a 32 oz. cup that I reuse. If I drink two of them spaced over the course of the day, that's my water for the day.

I have a friend who used a gallon jug. She re-filled it every night, stuck it in the fridge, and would drink the entire thing the next day. Rinse and repeat. She works from home, though.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    By drinking water.
  • RenaPink11
    RenaPink11 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    LOL@KaleidoscopeE....

In the morning after I pee and weigh... I fill up my glass and make sure I drink it before I leave for work... that's 2.5 cups. I fill up my water bottle that holds 4 cups and make sure I drink all of it before I go to lunch. At lunch I fill it up again and make sure I drink it before the end of my work day. But like some others have said, I also have a desk job and it sits there looking at me, so it's not as hard for me. Maybe when you get the feeling of being hungry, drink some water... then if you are still feeling hungry after 15 mins or so, eat. But that's what I do.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I bought a Camelbak water bottle to use at home and a glass with a straw to set on my desk at work. Believe it or not, that has REALLY helped me up my water consumption over drinking out of a plain glass.......I don't know why, it has just worked.
    Kaye
  • cds2001
    cds2001 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I work 8 hrs a day. I get in 4 glasses at work each day. Usually 1 glass with breakfast, 2 with lunch and another with snacks. Then when I get home I get in another 1-2 while doing my workout and then my last 2-3 while eating dinner. I'm one of those people who absolutely cannot eat anything without having something to drink (I'll feel like I'm choking) so drinking it while eating makes it a lot easier to get all 8 glasses in each day.
  • FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose
    Options
    I keep an 8 oz cup in the bathroom.. so first thing in the morning after brushing my teeth I drink a full glass. Then if I'm home during the day I try to remember to down another glass every time I go into the bathroom to use it. If I'm out and about I always bring my water bottle with me.
  • rachaelhoffman
    rachaelhoffman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I try to think of my day split into 2 parts - and drink 4 cups before lunch- which helps cut down on hunger at 11 am. And then, again in the afternoon another 4 cups. I use a 32 oz water bottle to help me. After doing this for 2 months, I know crave water when I wake up first thing, and my body can distinguish better between hunger and thirst!
  • thepanttherlady
    thepanttherlady Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I put a fresh gallon of water on my desk every morning. :)
  • Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I fill up my 32 oz Nalgene bottle in the morning and just make sure that I bring it with me everywhere I go. When it is empty, I fill it up and start again. I even keep it on my bedstand and when I wake up thirsty I drink a bunch of water. I probably drink 4 32oz bottles a day!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    By drinking water.

You could develop that concept into a book.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Well, I usually carry a 32oz. sport bottle with me and I make it a goal to drink a minimum of three of those/day. The correct amount of daily water intake goes according to your body weight. I can't remember the exact formula because I always go way over that anyway. Also, if you're going to the bathroom to pee about every hour to hour and a half, you're probably getting more than the recommended minimum (provided that water is the ONLY thing you're drinking). Also, you can go by the odor and color of your urine. If it has a strong odor and is really dark, you definitely need more water. Ideally, it should be almost odorless, and you should barely be able to see a color difference in the water. Hope this helps.
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have about two glasses with lunch and another two at dinner...my water has substituted my soda's which helps me to 'remember'... Once you get into the habit your body will remind you.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    By drinking water.

You could develop that concept into a book.

Hahaha! Yeah, that's deep! :laugh: :wink:
  • tatertotfishstick
    tatertotfishstick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    when I used to work I had no problem downing my water intake, but my water bottle was front in front of my face all day. Now that I am a stay at home mom, I never have my water bottle right in front of me.. so it's a little harder. BUT when I am working out (especially Zumba) I am working so hard that water is my only relief... so I down a ton if it. When I am not working out... it's a challege. I have been filling my bottle up and taking it with me, like to take my kid to school, I try to drink at every light... I put it next to my bed at night...