Pole dancers!

Options
nickyfm
nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
Does anyone else pole dance?
It is seriously such an amazing workout. You get the strongest arms, shoulders, abs and back ever!
Even though I've gained back about 6 out of 8 pounds of my weight loss (have been back on track as of yesterday), it doesn't look as dramatic as beforehand, because Pole has given me muscle tone!

Oh and also here's a helpful tip I've found if you want to improve and get stronger at it:
Bodypump & any other weight training. There is a noticeable difference in my strength during pole classes in a while. The same applies if I have done weights a couple of times that week, because I'm doing some crazy upside down moves on those weeks!!

And the best part of all is that you can't help but feel a LITTLE sexy during class, even if you've put on a couple ;)

Replies

• Cityperks
    Cityperks Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in trying this. I have seen some very ordinary bodies turn buff!
    I'd like to know how many days a week must you do classes to see results?
    It's quite expensive where I live.
  • nickyfm
    Options
    Yeah it's a bit expensive...
    Currently I do 1 "Intermediate" pole class, and 1 "Flexibility" class a week, and come in occasionally for a Sunday practice, which is about $360 for an 8 week term.
    I found that even when I was doing just the pole class once a week, I was still getting stronger and leaner. In saying that though, I am fairly active in other ways: Bodypump, Spin class, Gym etc.

I think if you only wanted to do pole as your source of exercise, you'd need to do it 3-4 times a week, by the look of the veteran polers at my studio.
  • polegirl23
    polegirl23 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi

I'm new to this site but would like to join in this topic as I also pole dance (hence my username!), I've done it on and off for about 4 years and love it! I go for an hour once a week in addition to all my other weight training and cardio exercise but find it the only class that I actually look forward to going to! I love learning new moves and also recently took part in a dance showcase to raise money for charity which was great fun!! I'd recommend pole to anyone looking to tone up and strengthen up.

Quick question - what do you log it as in your exercise log?? I've went last night and don't know what to put it as! :)
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies I too am a pole dancer, there are several of us on here. I have been pole dancing for 3 years and am now at the stage where my weight is stopping me from progressing, which is why I'm here.
    I normally just log as dancing, but bought a hrm to wear next week so I can see what I'm actually burning. :bigsmile:
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I've looked into this a few times, and I'd love to try it out! I need to lose a lot more weight first and find a class closer to home. The only place I found is about an hour and a half away..:-(
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Oh, I would absolutely love to learn! We don't have any classes around here, though :(
  • kayx199189
    kayx199189 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm actually starting pole dancing classes this friday which i'm really excited about so I really glad you made this post because it nice to see people talking about the benefits of it :)
  • polegirl23
    polegirl23 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    How fab to see other pole girls on here!! :)

Nickm21 - I would be really interested to see what your hrm says about pole, it's such a good workout in that I feel you get both cardio and strength traning in one!!

At my studio they have also got aerial hoops, rings and silks which we sometimes use in addition to pole and these are great fun too!
  • Floobaloob
    Floobaloob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have been pole dancing since October at my uni club, absolutely love it!

It's definitely made me stronger and that's from just doing it once a week (only real strength work I do). I have just bought a pole so now doing it about 6 times a week practicing moves from class etc. and hoping to see more of an improvement.

I've been logging it as gymnastics as I thought it was probably closer than dancing.
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    wow how funny i just posted about this in a florida group im in. I want to start but im wondering if i should do something prior to it like if i should lift or lose some more weight first. how many calories you can burn ., how quickly you see results, etc..
  • Floobaloob
    Floobaloob Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    wow how funny i just posted about this in a florida group im in. I want to start but im wondering if i should do something prior to it like if i should lift or lose some more weight first. how many calories you can burn ., how quickly you see results, etc..

I would start now!

If you start and get hooked that provides great motivation to do more weight training and lose the weight because it makes the moves easier. I get more motivated to train for something I really enjoy than I do doing it just for the hell of it.
    Personally I started seeing (or at least feeling) some results within weeks :)
  • whtlatina1214
    whtlatina1214 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    yes i would like to im going to have to wait for a coupon again though justfound out the pricing and it is far from my house as it is but it is really high too
  • nickyfm
    Options
    Definitely do some weight training. I'm the strongest at pole when I've been hitting the weights that week ^_^

PS check out this routine. It's one of my favourites. It's choreographed by one of the teachers at my studio, Chilli. (She's so awesome)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbxB6iG9uW4
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    I had my 3rd class last night, i absolutely love it! The instructor had us do a handstand to the pole then crunch up to a sitting position...never in my life would i have thought i could do this.
  • jackieb1977
    jackieb1977 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    now this is something i would love to do and will try once i get nearer my ideal weight, hopefully.
  • swthrtsmrf
    Options
    Like most, I would love to try this, but there are no classes here where I live. I know there are some where are we are moving to and am looking forwrad to trying it out!
  • LittleMissNerdy
    LittleMissNerdy Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I got to a location that offers pole and floor/chair. Right now I'm just sticking with the floor/chair but I've done one pole class before. It's such a work out. People laugh when I say I'm going to "stripperobics" but you're feeling it the next day!
  • MrsHallum07
    MrsHallum07 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You don't have to go to classes, unless you want to. If you look into ordering at FlirtyGirlFitness.com. They have DVDs & poles you can order & workout right at home. Plus, if you wanted they also have instuctor training, so you can start your own classes. Just a little FYI. Have fun!!! :wink:
  • sassafrasy
    Options
    do you have to be a teeny weeny to do pole dancing? would 180 be too heavy to try it? (5"6" height)
  • letobot
    letobot Posts: 205
    Options
    now this is something i would love to do and will try once i get nearer my ideal weight, hopefully.

I am still 20lbs away from my "ideal" weight....don't let your current weight stop you from doing this. It's an awesome, fun way to workout!