Can I still do my run

Options
Hi all, I hope you can help. I have a Walk/Run coming up on Sunday for which I have been in training for approximately 7 weeks or so. i have been faithfully training every day. Come yesterday, and I get sick. So I was not able to train yesterday and I'm not sure about for the rest of the week. Would I still be able to complete the 5K on Sunday or would my body be so out of it, it wouldn't make any sense to?

Replies

• scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I think you should try. When I ran my 5k, my last run of that week was wednesday so that I could rest. I would think that if you feel up to it, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to.
  • goodstarbuck
    Options
    Play it by ear. If you feel somewhat human and just a little weaker than normal, I'd still go for it. Just don't push yourself too hard and if your body says 'No' at any point, listen to it.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Get healthy first! Rest up, plenty of fluids. You're well trained already. You can probably do the race if you're not sick. You have time to get better, so focus on that for now. Worry about the race Saturday.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you're feeling on Sunday. If you're still feeling cruddy, you might want to skip it. If you feel mostly better... go for it! You might not be at your absolute prime if you're still run down, but it's not like you're going to lose all the endurance you've built in the last 7 weeks in just five days.

In fact, taking a few days off before a race is usually a good thing.
  • MichMich1982
    Options
    Thank you all! I can't tell you how disappointed I feel having been training for so long...I loved that I'm finally able to run for an extended period of time. What's also frustrating is my sugar intake which is through the roof because I'm drinking all these fruit juices and fruits to try get as much vitamin C as possible. I guess I have no choice but to rest up. Thanks.