30 Day Shred - Help Required

Options
Guys,

I am considering buying Jillian Michael's 30 day shred dvd but am wondering if I should wait until I have increased my fitness a bit first as from everything I have read it seems like it is really tough.

I have recently started jogging a bit using a programme very similar to c25k.

Could anyone who has used the 30 day shred dvd's let me know whether I should wait until I am through c25k to allow me to build a base layer of fitness before tackling the 30 day shred or should I just bite the bullet and get on with it and accept that I am going to find it very difficult in the beginning??

Replies

• Ilovedrinkingtea
    Ilovedrinkingtea Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Yep, just get it and watch it and then see what you think. xx
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Jillian say the 30 day shred can be done by anyone. I totally agree with her. Her dvds are all about how hard you push yourself. She has 2 girls on there with her, one does the workout full out the other is a modifier for beginners. So if you follow the girl that does the modifications, and work your way into it, you can totally do it! Don't be scared to push yourself!
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    There is modified versions of the exercises. Just do as much as you can. You're stronger than you think you are, be positive :smile:
  • woodmetal
    Options
    I was very unfit and I have gotten to level three in 21 days!! I am quite proud of that!! I am so much stronger and I have lost about 6 inches. No really weight but those inches definitely count!! Just do it!!
  • Rejuvn8
    Options
    I would watch it through then go for it. How rewarding it will be to see improvement over the thirty days! You just need to realize you don't need to be like the people you see in the video :-)
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Its going to be tough no matter when you start it - buy it and give it a go and if it is too hard, just do it once a week until you feel like you can tackle more. I was in a 30DS group and there were some people new to exercise in the group and though they found it tough, they stuck too it and saw lots of progress. Just take it at your own pace and don't go in thinking you'll do it 5 times a week.
  • Shannon_Nicole83
    Shannon_Nicole83 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Bite the bullet and do it! I'm way out of shape, but did the 30DS in November and am doing her 'Ripped in 30' DVD now. It kicks my butt every single time but there are modifiers to help you out. Totally do-able.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    If you can jog than you can do this video. It starts out a little difficult but it has a lot of variations for beginners. If you can't make it through the whole work out, that is ok!

I do a different JM workout everyday of the week (ok, ok, I know I'm obsessed :laugh: ) and I think they are the MAIN reason I have lost weight and MORE IMPORTANTLY inches.

Jillian MIchaels, especially the 30DS, is HIGHLY recommended.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    PERSONALLY the 30 Day shred is a kick in the hiney!!! I can't do more than half. I mean it is a butt kicking workout in 20 mins. However, I don't think it is a waste to do it and improve.
  • MndaLynn
    MndaLynn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Order it now! There are modifications for most of the moves. If there isn't...she will tell you that she has 400 lb people that can do this and so can you. If that doesn't get you moving...I don't know what will. For me...she is the easiest person on a DVD to stick with and follow...and you feel like you got a really good workout in a short amount of time. Before I would go to the gym and wander around and do a few things...with no real direction. Jillian gave me that direction and packed it all in a 20 minute workout that I can always make time for.
  • knelson422
    Options
    You could see if the library has it too and just try it. Good luck.
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I started it last Tuesday and I def think you should give it a try. Modification is key if you don't think you are up to the full intensity of it :)
  • cairney4698
    Options
    Guys,

Thanks for this support it is much appreciated. Final question for you all before I hit the "buy" button on amazon. How do you guys go about logging your 30 day shred workouts in the exercise section. I want to make sure I get the calorie burn correct
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    You can find the entire first level on youtube for free if you want to check it out before buying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Pc-NizMgg8
  • fleurykm
    Options
    Someone told me to do level 1 for a month then level two for a month, and then level 3 for a month. I did the 30 days for a month and I only lost of few inches, and no pounds so I got a liitle discouraged. I started with the 30 day Shred last week but my husband got me biggest losers at home challenge so I started that this week. I like both. I guess just go at your own pace. They are 2 girls on the 30 day Shred. One for beginners and one for advance. Good luck.
  • tatertotfishstick
    tatertotfishstick Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    you can create your own exercise, I titled mine "30 day shred level 1" and just used 189 cal burned in the 20 min. When I eventually get my HRM (its backordered) then I will have a more accurate number. But a lot of people log it as "general circuit training"
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the 30DS for about 10 days... I am extremely unfit and un-athletic. Granted, I follow the modified version, and still need to make some additional modifications on a few other moves. I admit I have not done it 10 days in a row, more like every-other-day, because I have a crazy schedule and do other workouts as well. I am transitioning to every day, and plan to do each level for the recommended 10 days in a row...

However, I am amazed at how my endurance and strength is improving, and the moves are easy-it's the rapid-fire transitions, coupled with working at YOUR top degree of difficulty- that makes it a great workout!. She does a great job demonstrating each move, and is much nicer than she was on the Biggest Loser! (but don't be fooled, she still plans to kill ya!)

As a workout dvd newbie, I love it!
  • ashmaster1488
    ashmaster1488 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am not fit at all...and I finished the shred a couple weeks ago. (14lbs and 4 inches off my body combined)
    As you probably know it has 3 levels. They are all hard when you first start them...but by the time you go on to the next level they have become easier.
    I LOVE the shred.

My advice is to get it and do it.
    On your first night of any level, just aim to get through it. Don't worry about weights, just finish it. Then on your second night you will have a better idea of where you stand and what you can do.
    So what if you have to do Level 1 with no weights for awhile before you do it with weights. And so what if you have to do Level 1 for a long time before moving on to Level 2. You don't have to do all 3 levels in 30days. Its a pretty good work out so just do it, and do it at your own pace.
  • cairney4698
    Options
    Once again guys thank you all so much for your support. I have just purchased the dvd from Amazon and now look forward with a bit more confidence than I had thirty minutes ago.

Please feel free to add me as a friend guys as you will all understand any grumps and groans I have over the next couple of months regarding 30 day shred and sure I will need help from people who have been through it before.
  • chris23tine
    chris23tine Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am a sometimes walker and just completed Day 1 of the 30 day shred. I started on level 1 and mostly followed the modified moves. Even though I wanted to quit early on, I didn't. So I think that you can do it. I know I am going to be sore tomorrow but I am looking forward to Day 2 because I now know that I can do it again. Good Luck!!