I'm happy, but what is happening?

Options
So I've been on MFP for probably around 5 weeks now and have lost 10 lbs, but I'm shocked at how it all of a sudden it started to fall off. Here's my weight loss run down:

Starting weight 195:

week 1: 3 pounds
week 2: 1 pound
week 3: nada
week 4: 4 pounds
week 5: 3 pounds

Current weight: 184
Goal weight: 160

This is insane to me, as I've always been active and never, ever EVER lost weight like this. In the past I would exercise like a maniac for 4 months and lose 4 pounds (not dieting though). I have been eating very well during the week, and allow myself to have a bad day on weekends. I guess weight loss is just as simple as exercise and eat right (who'd have thought? lol) The thing is, I don't feel like I look any different, AT ALL! My inches have been going down slowly, and I took some pictures last night so that after another 10 pounds I can compare. But I'm thrown by having lost this much weight and looking no different. I am quite tall (6 feet) so I know that I can gain and lose weight without it being that noticeable. Gah, I just thought I would look skinnier by now.

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    First of all, great job! This site has really helped me too, as they say you can't outtrain a bad diet. It's about 85% diet and 15% exercise.

Secondly, I bet you look slimmer than you think you do. I'm considerably shorter than you are (I'm 5'3") but I haven't really noticed myself looking any smaller, although I've lost 7 lbs. My mom came in town this past weekend and said "You look so good! What have you lost, like 10 pounds??" So obviously, it's working, but since I see myself every day in the mirror, I don't notice it. Plus, we definitely see ourselves differently than other people do.

You're on the right track, keep up the good work!
  • 5em9
    5em9 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the positivity!
  • Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Perspective: A couple of MFP posts equate a gallon of water and/or fat to approximately 8.5 pounds. Try carrying around a gallon and a half of water on your next walk and you will see just how much your body thanks you for even an 11 pound weight loss!

(I've lost 4.5 gallons of fat so far and it REALLY shows!!)
  • WallyGirl358
    Options
    You might not think you look smaller but believe me you do! I have lost nearly 60 #'s and didn't think I looked any better but someone took a picture of me the other day while I was working out. They blacked out shoulders and above and showed me the picture and I was like well they aren't skinny but not bad. I didn't know it was me!
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    it took me 25lbs plus to really start to see it on my 5'1" frame, but i could feel it in my clothes and such. Give it time, you will see it. You are doing GREAT!
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I've lost 9lbs and although I'm a short little smurf (5 foot) it doesn't show at all apart from maybe a little bit on my face. I know how you feel and how it can be disheartening but all we can do is keep trying and it'll show eventually! :)
  • pb6012002
    Options
    I know how you feel too. I am 5'3 and I lost 9 pounds already. People say 10 pounds is a pants size but some of mine smaller sizes are still too small and some of my larger sizes still fit the same. It is very hard to see it on yourself. But I bet you do like different to other people. I know I am just hard on myself and want to see immediate proof. Good luck.
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    At my highest weight I was 265 lbs. Losing 10 lbs was a very small percentage comparetively. Only .037%, I really didn't notice anything until I lost about 30. Now, I'm 170. Losing 10 lbs is much more noticeable because it's a larger percentage of weight. It's .058%. Each 10 lbs you lose will be a larger percentage of your total body weight and more noticeable than the 10 lbs before it. It's significant. It adds up. You're doing great and you will enjoy the benefits of the changes more and more as you go along. :)
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    wow! amazing weight loss! I too think it is amazing what counting calories and exercising can do! Who knew? LOL Keep up the GREAT work!