Stuck....

Options
I have been on MFP for just over a month. The first 2 weeks I lost 6 pounds, but now I am stuck. I stay under my calories, I try t do some sort of activity a day (could probably do more). Does anyone have any advise to get me over this hump? Getting a little depressed, help please!

Replies

• akiramezu
    Options
    Look, 2 weeks and losing 6 pounds is great, and progress will slow down as you keep on going. losing weight is a long, hard and grueling process. It's not a hump that your in, or in the body building world we call it a plateau , it just takes time, if you're expecting results in weeks or a few months, forget about it. But good work on the 6 pounds! keep at it, don't get discouraged, and remember that this will take time. You will not see a lot of results in a couple of weeks. :)
  • Wilson336
    Options
    Just two quick thoughts...

When you say you are staying under calories, are you staying close to the calorie goal, or are you way beneath goal? If you are taking in less than 1200 or so calories a day (varies a little depending on height/weight/amount of daily exercise), you run the risk of tricking your body into thinking you can't find food, so it goes into "starvation mode" to try to conserve existing fat supplies.

Also, what kind of calories are you taking in? 1200 calories worth of M&Ms will not provide the same nutrients as 1200 calories of well-balanced foods, and again can trick your body into going into starvation mode.
  • george_ie_girl
    george_ie_girl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Be patient. This takes time.
  • KarateGoddess
    KarateGoddess Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'd really need to see your diary. It all depends on how much you're eating, what you're eating and what kind of workouts you do.

For instance, if you're eating under 1200 calories you're basically hitting the pause button on your metabolism which will actually cause you to gain weight as your body goes into starvation mode.

The amount of sodium you eat could be sabotaging you.

Are you doing good, aerobic workouts - are you getting your heart rate up for more than 20 minutes a day?

If you've lost 6 pounds in two weeks you shouldn't be worried though. 2 to 2.5 pound loss per week is the maximum safe, healthy weight loss. Just don't give up. :)
  • 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    also agree need to view your diary.

6lb already is great, these things do take time.
    dont expect 12lb, 6lb, 9lb you see on biggest loser :)
  • Qcassie
    Qcassie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My intake is set at 1200. If I stay under that and don't exercise, I try to keep it close to that 1200 mark - only a few under. I found that if I was eating even just 100 under, my weight loss stopped completely. It wasn't until I started exercising and eating back at least half of my exercise cals that I started losing weight again. Good luck! (and 6 in two weeks is awesome... and you should expect it to slow down. I tend to stair step and lose a few, gain a bit, lose a few more, and so on; whereas my husband tends to have a steady decrease)
  • therindaproject
    therindaproject Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments, It looks like maybe I need to try to up my calorie intake and more exersize to get that heart rate up! I will get on it!

Thanks again!!

Rinda:bigsmile:
  • rower75
    rower75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Don't feel lonely...I too had lost 5-6 pounds initially, then hit a brick wall and gained back 2 pounds. I know I have not been consistent with my exercising. It just takes some motivation and I haven't got that yet. Hoping for spring though - that always helps me be more active.
  • kkester63
    Options
    Boost your calories for a couple of days. Just add a couple hundred in complex carbs and protein. Sometimes your body just wants a lil pick me up. Also don't forget if you are exercising muscle weighs a LOT more than fat. Check your fat loss with the measuring tape not the scale. You might be surprised.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you all for the comments, It looks like maybe I need to try to up my calorie intake and more exersize to get that heart rate up! I will get on it!

Thanks again!!

Rinda:bigsmile:

One other thing to look at, what is your weekly weight loss goal? Below are general guidelines to help you understand if you are over extending your goal. Also, if you eat too little, your body can fight to conserve calories.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.
  • therindaproject
    therindaproject Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you! 2 lbs a week is pretty reasonable for me - I just need to follow your (all of you) advise and it should start happening again. Also the measuring thing. I was told today that it looks like I have lost some weight so I guess I need to get that done and gage that way as well.

Thanks again All!
    Rinda
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you! 2 lbs a week is pretty reasonable for me - I just need to follow your (all of you) advise and it should start happening again. Also the measuring thing. I was told today that it looks like I have lost some weight so I guess I need to get that done and gage that way as well.

Thanks again All!
    Rinda

Well judging by your ticker, you would probably be better off with 1.5 lbs. Also, take into consideration if you constantly eat below your goal.