Ladies...How do you keep your hair (African American) in tac

Options
HI! First of my ethnicity is plural.. i'm a mixture of African American, Caucasian and Native American...sooo my hair is very very curly..however I mostly wash and straighten it and then I wrap it at night...this way I won't have to wash it but once a week...(Women with my kind of hair will understand). ANYHOW,, When i workout I wrap my hair and use a satin scarf...then I shower then when i take it down it's like CURLY/FRIZZY NON-STRAIGHT! lol..some girls I've spoken with before just say wrap it up...WHAT are your methods that have worked...I don't have the time to wash it every day nor will that be good for my hair....AND i wear it curly w/ mousse in the summer but it's tooooo darn cold for that now... Any and all suggestions appreciated! :)

I have a hair review on youtube where you can see how my hair is this is it:

http://www.youtube.com/mcfarlingirl#p/u/5/mhY_FNZyqOs

and here are a few pics:

this is my natural curly state:
395403_10150553044455660_706590659_11267257_39598326_n.jpg

This is the straight look that i'd like to maintain POST WORKOUT! Lol:
303065_10150444048155660_706590659_10884505_1855418271_n.jpg

Replies

• getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Bump - I am African American & Filipino - the whole hair thing is aggravating and don't want to spend $ to get it straightened then I sweat it out.

I usually wear my curly/wavy by washing my hair at night - cornrowing it and let it out so it's not as frizzy. It lasts for about 2-3 days max. Then repeat. When I straightened my hair I have to wrap it when I work out at home but I'm not wrapping my hair in the gym. LOL
  • Now0rNever
    Now0rNever Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Bump - I am African American & Filipino - the whole hair thing is aggravating and don't want to spend $ to get it straightened then I sweat it out.

I usually wear my curly/wavy by washing my hair at night - cornrowing it and let it out so it's not as frizzy. It lasts for about 2-3 days max. Then repeat. When I straightened my hair I have to wrap it when I work out at home but I'm not wrapping my hair in the gym. LOL

lol ok! thanks for your input!! and i knew you were mixed with something i just didn't know what! You're gorgeous!! thanks for the info! ps> i wish i knew how to cornrow really well :( lol
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    u got my hair lol...in the summer yeah mainly curly BUT i have to switch products up..use something more expensive for curls like Matrix and Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam...in winter i can use suave captiviating curls products...here is the problem i face i dont perm my hair so .....its humid in summer and puffs out my straightening its doable but very damaging to keep it under control...so i opt to wear curly 95% of time all yr round and use a diffusser and the products for the season....the hair dries faster if u use I think Redkin V..which is like a curl minimizer similar to putting a straightening perm in but less of the straight effect it just lengthens your curls......if i straighten my hair often i find it breaks off and stays shoulder length ..if i wear natural and unruly then it grows to lower back....I should mention Im a Cosmetologist and bi racial...blk and white to put it simple haha
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    My daughter is mixed, and her hair is so hard to handle!! Before she said eff this and got it cut short (super cute on her by the way), we kept it braided all the time. I never did get the hang of cornrows, but I would put her hair in little tiny braids. When she was younger, I could take product and twirl the curls around a pencil for ringlets. So cute!! On Saturdays when she washes her hair, we apply product and wrap it in a silk scarf.

Now if only I could get my mom to quit telling me she needs to wash her hair more than once per week. Grrr
  • Now0rNever
    Options
    u got my hair lol...in the summer yeah mainly curly BUT i have to switch products up..use something more expensive for curls like Matrix and Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam...in winter i can use suave captiviating curls products...here is the problem i face i dont perm my hair so .....its humid in summer and puffs out my straightening its doable but very damaging to keep it under control...so i opt to wear curly 95% of time all yr round and use a diffusser and the products for the season....the hair dries faster if u use I think Redkin V..which is like a curl minimizer similar to putting a straightening perm in but less of the straight effect it just lengthens your curls......if i straighten my hair often i find it breaks off and stays shoulder length ..if i wear natural and unruly then it grows to lower back....I should mention Im a Cosmetologist and bi racial...blk and white to put it simple haha

ok thanks for this info! The most expensive curl product i ever purchased and loved was called MIXED CHICKS... right now i can't afford it lol....but thanks for the info i'll keep those tips in mind....also when i wear my hair straight and wrap it nightly it actually helps with my growth and maintenance, it;'s just the darn workouts that make me sweat it out lol
  • Now0rNever
    Options
    lol, thanks !
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    There is an olive oil product at Walgreens that works really well. I also found that if before she washes her hair, I mix olive oil and egg yolks, apply directly to the scalp, let sit for about 15 min then wash. It seems to help keep the hair from getting brittle and frizzy
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yes I rock it curly almost 98% of the time. Straighten only when doing something..but I wear it curly...I use a diffuser blow dryer to help dry my hair but keep the curls in place. I use a non alcholic product or styling gel to hold curls. You can use mousse or there are alot of products out now for curly hair...it's alot tougher in the winter months w/drying curly hair...but in the summer...I call it my wash and go. You can really do a lot of cute styles w/your hair curly. Pin ups, pony tails, just hanging lose.
  • Gwendalyne
    Gwendalyne Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I use a suave styling gel recently that is nice and only about 2.50... Don't laugh but you can also use curl activator too to help give your hair more curls. but the diffuser blow dryer is the key...
  • kgordon7
    kgordon7 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm only black, but I do have a very good grade of hair (thanks to my grandmother), and it's so thick. When I'm not going anywhere, I just wrap it because it'll be dry by the next day, but if I'm going somewhere after, I just wear it in the style I already have it in and pin it that way because it doesn't get soaking wet that way. I guess because it's able to breathe when it's loose. Hope that helps.
  • lee3978
    lee3978 Posts: 274
    Options
    I stop relaxing and now just flat iron once a week maybe every two weeks. When I'm working out intensely I stick to natural and leave it curly. I found the best to do is put back in a pony tail with a bun with a head band and blow dry with warm to cool air immediately after your session.

Also feel in love with this: http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-EfaGold-Coconut-Oil

I get it at whole foods. I tried the mix chick products and not all that impressed. This past month I've been doing scuba to get certified and immediately washing my hair and leaving in the hot oil treatments for a hour after.

My current pic is my hair flat ironed with the coconut oil.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm causasian with super curly hair (see pic) and I just wear it curly.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine anything I can do to keep my hair from curling back up after a workout, so I'm no help there... But I can suggest a pretty cheap product that I have found works well for everyday use (I had to let my "Mixed Chicks" products go because they were super expensive and not that easy to find in stores). I use Soft & Beautiful Botanicals Lite Creme Moisturizer. I get it at target for around $3 a bottle and I sometimes mix it in my hand with a little bit of water to make it thinner. Hope this helps!
  • hewwokitty
    hewwokitty Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm just white but I have some serious hair issues (curly, frizzy, super freaking thick)..LOL. I straighten my hair daily (Yeah, I know it's terrible, but even curl products won't defrizz it) and when I work out I just use a hair band to keep my bangs back. I'm curious to know how to tame my hair too, I hate having to wash it when I get all sweaty. If it wasn't for working out I could go a week and half without washing it. :/
    Good luck! (:
  • Bourgeoisqueen
    Bourgeoisqueen Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    All I can say is braids girlfriend..all day long...BRAIDS...lol...:happy: I am just a Black chic with kinky coily hair..lol..my mom is biracial , so what does that make me? :D You are looking good girl...sorry for your lost and much hugs and kisses my friend.
  • MelBee29
    Options
    all you ladies have such nice hair ! oh how i would love to get mine back! it does some 1980's wave thingy i am mixed as well jamacian & caucasian at one point my hair was very long and very curly till i chopped it off and have never been able to grow it or did it ever curl again :cry: so i sometimes wear extensions but when i workout i usually just put a head band and now i can put it in a tiny little tail at the back and wash it every other day and on weekends i flat iron it and look perdy ! ( in my profile pic is me with extension btw :wink: )
  • getbusyliving
    Options
    I am black and white with naturally curly hair. I use mixed chicks for my curly days. When working out with straightened hair, I bend my head over and gather all my hair on top of my head and twist it into a tight bun. I also wear a sweat bad around the hair line to absorb moisture.

It looks crazy, but it works. While working out, I dab the excess moisture with a towel to keep the "wetness" at bay. After I'm done working out, I let my hair down from my bun and then wrap it before showering. After I get dressed, do makeup, etc, I take the wrap off last.

I touch up the roots as needed with a flat iron. This method works well for me and I can keep my hair straight for about 5 days. Moisture is the enemy so using a towel while exercising is key.

You've heard a lot of tips and tricks that all sound great. Hope this one helps.
  • tomusiakl
    tomusiakl Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    What I do is comb mine out as shown in the second pic ( being straight) and then I just use a pin and clip the ends up while working out. After I complete my exercise I remove the clip after about 15/20 mins and its just perfect. When you exercise with your hair all wrapped up and under the head wrap you end up with too wet afterwards. Leave it out and out ( i.e. pin it up) and do your thing.

I hope this helps. This works for me.
  • shavonne
    shavonne Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    My hair is natural, I wear it curly in the summer but straight for most of the winter. What works for me is to put it up in a high, tight bun (it’s best uncovered – no scarf or wrap) when I work out and don’t take it down until at least an hour after my workout is done. The edges can get a bit frizzy but the length of the hair pretty much stays straight with this method. HTH
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    This is so weird because I work out at home at my hair is drenched when I done exercising so I keep it wrapped until its time for me to leave for work and I just throw it in a ponytail. But I was listening to the Steve Harvey show and Nicole Ari Parker was a guest and she designed a hair wrap for African American women called Save your Do. I don't think its in stores but you can order online.

http://saveyourdo.com/