MFP vs flat belly diet

Options

Replies

• hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    ^^Meals look delicious. This doesn't come off as a fad to me. I might use some of these recipes. Thanks for posting.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have to agree with Eric on this. It's water weight. Also, you can lose inches by less water retention and bloating. I am glad you found something you like, but how about waiting a few months (not a week) to show long term lost. It might have a larger impact.
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    The menu does look good... Nice menu ideas to mix into my routine... Thank you!!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Eric on this. It's water weight. Also, you can lose inches by less water retention and bloating. I am glad you found something you like, but how about waiting a few months (not a week) to show long term lost. It might have a larger impact.

This.

Also, people on MFP follow all sorts of dietary guidelines, from veganism to paleo, from high-carb raw to high protein--MFP is a tracking tool, the rest is up to the user. And the "diet" you posted is a week of sample meals, nothing more, there is, in fact, a diet and a book behind the plan, what the OP linked to was just a teaser. If that eating philosophy works for you, great, but you can't measure much of anything from what happens in one week, a healthy lifestyle is a long term thing.
  • kathyc609
    kathyc609 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!!! So many negative comments because u have found something that works for you that is different than what they believe in. I am happy for you and wish u lots of success.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

This.

Also, people on MFP follow all sorts of dietary guidelines, from veganism to paleo, from high-carb raw to high protein--MFP is a tracking tool, the rest is up to the user. And the "diet" you posted is a week of sample meals, nothing more, there is, in fact, a diet and a book behind the plan, what the OP linked to was just a teaser. If that eating philosophy works for you, great, but you can't measure much of anything from what happens in one week, a healthy lifestyle is a long term thing.

^^THIS. There's research that says that changing things up while losing weight is a good thing. Monotony can spell the death to any diet. Over the years, I have learned a lot about nutrition, and I incorporate that into what I eat everyday. I will check out your link because I'm always interested in learning more and tweaking my diet. I agree that MFP is a tool, not a specific way of eating and exercising. You could track your food on the 'Flat Belly Diet' as well as on any other plan.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options

It is a more specific meal plan (free, not a book, not a membership paid for), that you follow for one week. Not only did it make a difference weight wise, but measurement wise. I lost more inches as well.

My bad, it was the "BELLY FAT DIET" not FLAT BELLY my mother in law bought the book for. They are similar so easy to get mixed up! :bigsmile:
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you!!! So many negative comments because u have found something that works for you that is different than what they believe in. I am happy for you and wish u lots of success.

I wouldnt say this is true for everyone...
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you found something that worked for you. I can't imagine how successful this is going to be if it works long term. Sadly, the ONLY thing proven to work long term is eating less calories than you burn.

I wonder why MFP didn't work for you?
  • Lynda4aska
    Options
    I'm glad you found something that worked for you. I can't imagine how successful this is going to be if it works long term. Sadly, the ONLY thing proven to work long term is eating less calories than you burn.

MFP worked, just slower. I am glad I changed it up for the week, gives me variety and motivation. I have learned through both experiences to moderate how much I eat (used to snack on bad calories constantly), and learn about a helathier lifestyle along the way.

Both work, and they are still slow, steady losses, just wanted to share something different !
    Good luck and losing to everyone!!
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options

MFP worked, just slower. I am glad I changed it up for the week, gives me variety and motivation. I have learned through both experiences to moderate how much I eat (used to snack on bad calories constantly), and learn about a helathier lifestyle along the way.

Both work, and they are still slow, steady losses, just wanted to share something different !

Congrat's on your loss. I'm confused when you say MFP didn't work for you. What didn't work? I'm pretty new to MFP. What am I missing? MFP doesn't tell me what to eat or what not to eat. I plug in what I DID eat and if i did any exercise. I enter my weight and measurements. To me MFP is a tool.....it does the math for me. I'm not getting what didn't work for you.

At any rate.....congrat's with your loss.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Well, I am glad to hear that you lost some weight.
    However, I think there is a big difference between MFP and The Flat Belly Diet... ...MFP isn't a diet...it is a tool that we can use to journal our progress and determine where we need to make adjustments.
    The problem with dieting is that you risk gaining it all back once you try to increase your calories, or go back to eating carbs, or go back to eating whatever the diet restricts (each diet restricts something it seems).

For me, I am focusing on eating everything in moderation. I haven't cut anything completely out, I have just cut down and I have already lost weight and inches.

Eating right is for life...

I agree that MFP is a tool more so than a diet because it is very flexible about dietary guidelines, but you're still restricting. If you don't monitor your calories for the rest of your life, you will likely regain the weight you lost through MFP just as someone who goes off the Flat Belly Diet will also regain weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

May I ask how much you were eating with MFP vs this new diet? Because, it is very possible that if you increased your calories and reduced exercise, your body might have felt nourished and decided to let you drop weight. I see this all the time when I work with people and up their calories. In fact, people have seen results in little as a day. The concept is all the same, calories in and calories out. And unless you have a medical condition (like PCOS or hyperthorism) it's all the same. That is what these diets do. They just exploit a name and use the basic concept of calories in and out.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/482700-anyone-hit-a-plateau-and-got-out-of-it?error_user_id=252210&error_username=psulemon&page=2
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    I just finished a week of the flat belly, and had more success with that in 1 week (without exercise), than I did with MFP (with exercise) for over a month. Guess I'll be using that one again right before going away !!

From what I see posted here, Flat Belly diet seems to be legitimate for good health with its food choices, but 1 week doesn't mean squat. Water retention is a HUGE factor when it comes to short term weight loss or gain. When people restrict calories and add exercise, the body tends to retain water temporarily for a number of reasons, one of which is because of the stress hormone, Cortisol. It could be that MFP w/exercise is burning more fat, but its masked by the water. You can't really judge from such a short time frame.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I've looked into this "diet" and it seems very healthy with some good recipes. I've been experimenting with calories and food combinations and in 6 months I've lost 32 lbs. I've actually thought about eating some of these meals for 1-2 weeks because I've thought about increasing to 1400 calories and this would put me at 1600. I also like the idea of learning more about different foods going together and the MUFAs that are in this "diet".

I think if all of us are honest we have some kind of eating plan that we follow. Yes we track our calories but we are also trying to put healthier foods in our bodies, limit the empty calories that have little nutritional value and making positive choices. Sometimes people who have not been eating the healthiest can follow a plan like this, learn a little about positive food choices and incorporate it into a larger lifestyle change. And at 1600 calories it doesn't seem all the much like a "fad diet". I don't really see how this type of eating plan is different than a Paleo type diet. That also tells a person what to eat and not eat and incorporates it into a lifestyle change.

I think some people get all up in arms when an eating plan has the word DIET in the title. Heck, we all are on a diet because the definitions of diet include: 1. what person or animal eats: the food that a person or animal usually consumes
    2. controlled intake of food: a controlled intake of food and drink designed for weight loss, for health or religious reasons, or to control or improve a medical condition
    "a wheat-free diet"
    3. regular intake of something: a continuous or daily experience of, or indulgence in, something other than food
    "living on a diet of soap operas and game shows"

Any eating plan is a diet.
  • colibri25
    colibri25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    This is the way I think too!
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I think the negative reaction from most was the comparing of apples to oranges... MFP is a tool, which when you put in your stats and what results you'd like to attain, it spits out a calorie goal to shoot for. No more, no less... What I think the most attractive feature of MFP is the undeniable support system. It doesn't have to be a choice of MFP or Flat Belly Diet... Incorporate them both and enjoy your tremendous successes!

IMHO - The Flat Belly Diet seems like an appropriate, healthy way you could actually incorporate into your daily life and don't necessarily see it as a fad. I believe from my quick glance that the diet is not intended to be a week long... they were just providing a sample week for you to follow...

:smile: :smile: I really appreciate the poster including a link to it. :smile: :smile: Prevention is a reputable, reliable publication for health and wellness (not just fads) so I don't think this is a 'flash in the pan' suggestion. The Mediterranean diet has long been heralded as one of the most healthy lifestyles in the world! Again, not for everyone...

One of my favorite sayings I ever heard was "Take from this what you like, and leave the rest..." I will take the appreciation of having some nice new meals to try out! Best wishes that success finds you all in your healthy lifestyle endeavors!
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I think the negative reaction from most was the comparing of apples to oranges... MFP is a tool, which when you put in your stats and what results you'd like to attain, it spits out a calorie goal to shoot for. No more, no less... What I think the most attractive feature of MFP is the undeniable support system. It doesn't have to be a choice of MFP or Flat Belly Diet... Incorporate them both and enjoy your tremendous successes!

IMHO - The Flat Belly Diet seems like an appropriate, healthy way you could actually incorporate into your daily life and don't necessarily see it as a fad. I believe from my quick glance that the diet is not intended to be a week long... they were just providing a sample week for you to follow...

:smile: :smile: I really appreciate the poster including a link to it. :smile: :smile: Prevention is a reputable, reliable publication for health and wellness (not just fads) so I don't think this is a 'flash in the pan' suggestion. The Mediterranean diet has long been heralded as one of the most healthy lifestyles in the world! Again, not for everyone...

One of my favorite sayings I ever heard was "Take from this what you like, and leave the rest..." I will take the appreciation of having some nice new meals to try out! Best wishes that success finds you all in your healthy lifestyle endeavors!

Well put!

Just came across this thread and wanted to put my 2 cents in. I did the Flat Belly Diet a year ago and lost the baby weight I'd been carrying for nearly 2 years (not to mention about 5 inches from my waist). I still eat some meals from the Flat Belly Diet (since I enjoy so many of them), along with other food not from the book, and have been able to maintain the weight loss. As long as you log your food, it's fine to use both FBD and MFP.

I think the OP meant that the weight loss happened quicker in the first week of the FBD than it did by just using MFP. This was likely due to the initial "4 day anti-bloat jump start", in which you lose a few pounds of water weight. After the first 4 days, you up your calories from 1,200 to 1,600 and eat whatever meals you want from the book. That initial weight loss is a great motivator, though.

As long as it works for you, and it's a healthy way to lose weight / maintain weight, go for it.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I've tried it before and it does work. The only problem was some of the things are too expensive (especially on a college budget, like pine nuts).
  • watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I know someone who had been doing this, hes in excellent shape and most of all loves the food. Lost 26 lbs and is happy but this might not work for everyone. Not for me . But then again MFP is not for me either I just use it to track protein and carbs.