Mexican Food

Options
Can someone help me plan my lunch today? I am going with some friends to eat Mexican. What's my best option to eat?

Replies

• gjc50
    gjc50 Posts: 35
    Options
    lol dont do it!!!!!! if you cant control portions that is! no chips or cheese dips! eat the chicken and veggies only
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    It really depends on where you're going and what's available.

At taco bell, I'd recommend the chicken soft taco. If you have something like that i'd recommend it. Mainly because it's got veggies in it and not a lot of sauce. Avoid something with tons of cheese sauce. I mostly recommend looking at the menu ahead of time and then looking upt he calorie count before you order.

good luck. hth.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Anything that's not wrapped in a tortilla and smothered in sauce. Fajitas, maybe (just eat the meat and veggies and don't wrap them in the tortillas). Black beans if they have them, instead of re-fried.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    If you have the discipline, go for a taco salad without the shell. have salsa for the dressing and skip the cheese.
  • Singsince2
    Options
    I saw on the Today Show (or maybe it was another talk show) that Chicken Fajitas are the best. So I tried this on Sunday. I ordered the lunch chicken fajitas and ate only the chicken and veggies. (this is a much smaller portion than the dinner size) I didn't eat the flour shells and only had two bites each of the rice and beans. I had 12 chips from the basket and salsa. It seemed to work well with my diet, because I have lost weight this week. One pound!
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS get the same thing. Chicken Taco Salad no sour cream no cheese. - the no cheese thing is recent but I have never liked sour cream. The big challenges are not eating the shell or the chips. If you want, grab 5 chips and place them on a plate and just eat those. Once those are done, you are done with chips. The salsa can be a bit high in sodium but you should be fine. And the nice thing about Mexican is that your food normally comes out pretty quickly so you shouldn't have to stare at the chips too long. Oh and drink water - it will help with the added sodium. ENJOY!!
  • nmzeta
    Options
    I saw on the Today Show (or maybe it was another talk show) that Chicken Fajitas are the best. So I tried this on Sunday. I ordered the lunch chicken fajitas and ate only the chicken and veggies. (this is a much smaller portion than the dinner size) I didn't eat the flour shells and only had two bites each of the rice and beans. I had 12 chips from the basket and salsa. It seemed to work well with my diet, because I have lost weight this week. One pound!

I tried that a couple weeks ago and the meat and veggies were SWIMMING in oil. I couldn't eat it and had them replace it with a taco salad.
  • susieq19
    susieq19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's an authentic mexican restaurant. If I get chicken fajitas and don't eat the tortillas, would you say the beans or the rice is the better option?
  • nmzeta
    Options
    If they have non-refried beans, they should be okay. Otherwise just ask if they have lard in the beans. If they do, go rice.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's an authentic mexican restaurant. If I get chicken fajitas and don't eat the tortillas, would you say the beans or the rice is the better option?

Black beans, if they have them. If your choice is between re-fried beans or the rice, it's probably a toss-up. Rice would have less fat, I guess.
  • susieq19
    susieq19 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ok...I think I succesfully managed the Mexican lunch. I ordered Chicken Fajitas (they didn't seem to have too much oil) with no tortillas. I ate the rice and left the beans on the plate. I did have about 2T of guacamole. But the biggest coup for me was ....I only ate 3 chips. nmzeta-- you were right you don't have to wait that long and that helps. I feel pretty good about myself after going and beign with my friends and still keeping on track!
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Mexican is my weakness. It is the one meal that I will allow myself to go overboard on. But for low calorie stick to chicken and try a soft taco with less cheese.