any females in the sciences?

Options
skeetpea
skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
Just wondering if there any gals out there who are studying or have careers in the sciences? I'm always interested in meeting females in the field because, lets be honest, there's not a lot of us!

I am currently working as a Chemistry Laboratory Assistant for a community college in the chicagoland area. I am also a full-time student studying Medical Laboratory Sciences. Basically your doctor orders a blood test, I'm the one that runs it (no it's NOT like you see on House with doctors doing their own lab work!!). I am so interested in the field and would like to continue my education into the masters/PhD realm but that's still a bit of a ways down the road. My ultimate dream would be working at the CDC!

So what do you do? How do you like your field? Let me here your stories!!

Replies

• MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    It seems like half the labs I visit have a no girls allowed policy.
    The other half are filled with guys who seem to naturally keep them away.

Its one of the reasons I dont work in the lab anymore.
  • skeetpea
    skeetpea Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda lucky in that respect, my MLS program is mostly female, out of 32 people, only 3 are male. Seems the females are in the medical sciences instead of industry!
  • sreich04
    sreich04 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have my master's degree in chemistry and work in industry. Yay for other female scientists, we rock! :drinker:
  • purpletrillium
    Options
    I work in a specialized laboratory that does testing for organ and bone marrow transplants. I do Immunological and DNA testing for patients waiting mostly for kidney transplants. What I like about it the most is that unlike many other areas of laboratory work, we have a direct connection to the patients, cheer them on when they get a transplant, and advocate for organ transplants. The hardest part is knowing that many organ donors died way too young, the stories can be heartbreaking.
  • stringqueen16
    Options
    I'm in pharmacy school specializing in pediatrics, with degree tracks in chemistry and microbiology...I love science! And yes, science girls rock!
  • MamaJilldo
    MamaJilldo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm a research scientist for archer daniels midland in Decatur, IL. There are a lot of girls that work in our lab, i'd honestly say its 50/50! I have a degree in biology and a masters in primatology
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'm in Earth Science, finishing a master's.

My sister has a PhD in Pharmacology. (She's on MFP too)
  • lovetms
    lovetms Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a high school Biology teacher. Not exactly working "in the field" but I spend my day talking about Biology and Forensic Science, and I love it :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I'm currently working on my PhD in analytical chemistry. Talk about being in a men's only field! Geesh!
    I have my Masters in chemistry as well. Couldn't find a teaching job so getting my PhD instead!

I'm going through and friending scientists as I find them. This helps! LOL!
  • JLD_1985
    Options
    I studied chemistry at uni and then got my masters in analytical chemistry. I recently completed my phD in environmental science. Looking for work at the moment but hoping to get something lab based.
  • Tishy78
    Tishy78 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Not exactly in the sciences, per se, but I do have to employ the scientific method :) I work in IT. I have worked with all guys for the past 8 years for the most part. With the exception of the department secretary.
  • Quarrysider
    Quarrysider Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    PhD in stem cell molecular biology, but haven't used it in a couple of years! I'll always be a mad scientist though, whether I am working in the field or not :drinker:
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Ph.D. in cancer biology over here! Working on developing and implementing a novel diagnostic technology.

My story: I got fat and squishy because I stopped taking care of myself during the high-stress existence that is typical of this line of work. I finally woke up in March 2011, decided my body deserved more respect, and have been making my well-being a top priority. Along the way, I've lost over 30 lbs, toned up, and built up more of a kick-butt attitude.

:flowerforyou:
  • artgeek09
    Options
    I know some regard Psychology as a pseudo-science, but I'm almost done with my BS and then will go onto Counseling Psyc. Eventually I WILL get my Psy.D in clinical psyc, but the $100,000 price tag scared me off for now.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I know some regard Psychology as a pseudo-science, but I'm almost done with my BS and then will go onto Counseling Psyc. Eventually I WILL get my Psy.D in clinical psyc, but the $100,000 price tag scared me off for now.

Glad to see another social science, soft science, whatever you choose to call it here. I have my bachelors in psychology and my masters in social work. I don't do research/lab work, but I AM in the field! I work in a long-term psychiatric hospital with people who have been hospitalized for 30 or so years. It's not chemistry or physics, but it's a challenge! (Yea, the cost of going back for my PhD scared me too, maybe I'll feel more motivated once I've got my master's loans paid down...)

If I could go back and do it all again, I might have given environmental science or marine biology a try. I was going to go to URI for one of those two fields but foolishly decided to stay in NY to stay close to my high school sweetheart. Ah, the stupidity of youth!
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I just finished up my Anthropology degree and am now working toward a degree in Nursing.... currently taking Anatomy, Bio II, and Microbiology Lab. Honestly, I'm tempted to switch my focus to microbiology - I would love to work in a lab full time! Mounting slides and doing gram stains just gets me going! :)

Edit: Oh, in Anth I studied Medical Anthropology/Forensics, so I still consider it science ;)
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Used to be a biochemist, way back when. Loved some of it, hated most of it. Still have my lab coat though. Tres sexy :P
  • EmmaMay93
    Options
    Psychology student :) Hoping to continue onto clinically, child psychology
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I have a substantive Ph.D. but the sign on my door says "Statistician."
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    Lab tech here....my class only had 1 male and 18 females. Every place I have worked has been mostly female.

I also have degree in Human services/psychology.