Question for all you jogging experts please.

Options
I started jogging a couple of weeks ago, just short little bursts, of a minute or so. Now I am jogging for a couple of minutes - maybe 3 minutes non stop. At the end of the jogging and when I am back to walking to finish my 2.5 mile circuit, my lower legs - more precisely ankles and shins are agony. Bending my ankle is painful even to walk. For several minutes after, I walk with stiff legs!

I have tried to lift my heels slightly closer to my back side with no effect, still hurts. I have tried to plant my footfalls with barely an audible tap to ensure that I am not 'shocking' my ankle, still no effect. I can barely get round the circuit. I do this three times a week and the other four times in the week I do the same circuit but just walking with no more than tired legs. I wear shoes for the walk days and trainers for the jog days.

Can anyone suggest what I might be doing to cause the pain? I know I must be jogging incorrectly so please try to offer something more than your doing it wrong! I would really appreciate the benefit of your experience ... I am not sure I could cope with this discomfort much longer.

Just so you understand that this is not a 'wow! I really felt that jog' thing ... This is a real walking HURTS for several minutes after and is uncomfortable for about an hour after the walk.

Thanks guys, I look forward to you all showing me what a mess I am making of this jog!

Replies

• Lady_Eliza
    Options
    what shoes are you wearing? This can have a massive effect on your legs. May be worth investing in some new running trainers.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Do you have good running shoes?
  • mrFerris
    mrFerris Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I wear trainers when I jog ... Only wear the shoes when I walk
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the shoes. Make sure you get a pair that has been selected for YOUR feet and how you walk. Go to a store that will do that for you - they measure both of your feet, watch you walk back and forth, and recommend only shoes that are for you. Makes a HUGE difference.

For me, personally, I've also found a big difference in how my legs/knees feel running outside vs. on the treadmill. My knees will ache if I run outside, where there is more pounding. The treadmill provides just enough of a cushion that I don't have the same issue.
  • mrFerris
    Options
    Ditto on the shoes. Make sure you get a pair that has been selected for YOUR feet and how you walk. Go to a store that will do that for you - they measure both of your feet, watch you walk back and forth, and recommend only shoes that are for you. Makes a HUGE difference.

For me, personally, I've also found a big difference in how my legs/knees feel running outside vs. on the treadmill. My knees will ache if I run outside, where there is more pounding. The treadmill provides just enough of a cushion that I don't have the same issue.

Hi, that sounds great but I am not sure that I can afford that level of professionism! I am currently not working. Thanks for the thought though.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    get checked out for proper shoes. I started @ 400+ lbs. and give credit to 2 things. 1) having the right type of shoe for my feet 2) being stubborn as hell and wanting to prove all the doubters wrong.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Hi, that sounds great but I am not sure that I can afford that level of professionism! I am currently not working. Thanks for the thought though.

Sorry you're not working :(

The money spent will be worth it. Seriously, can you afford physical therapy or other medical treatment (even trips to the doctor) if you get injured from wearing the wrong shoes? I know it's a lot (I spent $100 on my last pair), but it is money very well spent. Can you perhaps sell anything to help make up the cost?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    It could be that your ankles just need to get stronger. If you have never run before, or have not run in a long time, the tendons and muscles in your lower legs, ankles, and feet may have gotten weak and need time to adapt and strengthen. Only time and more training within your current ability can fix that. They will get stronger though.

You could try barefoot walking and running as both are excellent ways to strengthen those muscles, tendons, and bones.

Also, see this for good running technique:
    http://www.goodformrunning.com/
    http://barefootrunning.fas.harvard.edu/
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i found when i did jogging that when i ran on hard concrete it burned like you have described, so in order to "break" me into jogging without the pain i started on grass something with a softer surface..

might help worth a try...

good luck!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    You need to get properly fitted for a running shoe... Also, make sure you are wearing a RUNNING shoe and not a CROSS TRAINER. Running shoes are built for forward motion, while cross trainers are meant for side to side motion...

Also, are you running on sidewalks? Unfortunately sidewalks aren't as soft as the asphalt they use for roads...so you are putting a lot of pressure on your ankles/shins.

I used to suffer from shin splints too. Now that I have been properly fitted for a good shoe, and my legs are stronger I get no pain.
  • ivhyvonen
    Options
    Shoes have made the world of difference for me. The price tag for the shoes was a little high at $125, but not having aching knees and ankles are well worth it. Get yourself fitted for some proper running shoes.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I agree with shoes and running on the road, as it has a little more cushion than the sidewalk. Also, stretching helps a lot. Stretch before your run, walk for a few minutes to warm up and then stretch when you are done.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options

I had a similar problem when I started running. My shins were killing me. I went to a running store and they evaluated me for free and recommended a shoe. I was wearing shoes that were too old and too small. I would at least go and let them watch you walk, measure your feet, and look at your shoes. They may be able to suggest something that will help.

Good luck!
  • mrFerris
    Options
    Thanks guys. A lot for me to think about. Just to answer some of your questions. I haven't engaged in any type of running or jogging for some 30 years, except beating my wife in a mile run 5 years ago.

I jog on a walk/cycle way that is Tarmac surfaced. The trainers I have we're supposed to be for running and not cross training but I could get them checked out. Only just bought them, (about a month ago) £50 that's about $75USD I think.

I appreciate all of your comments.
  • Melanie12081
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints. I used to have them, my husband just had his first experience. You can tape the top of your shin, just under the knee, and that will help some. He just started running next to me in the grass, instead of the concrete and he hasn't had as many problems. I'd give the jogging a rest for a week or two, and just walk, to give them time to mend.
  • mrFerris
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints. I used to have them, my husband just had his first experience. You can tape the top of your shin, just under the knee, and that will help some. He just started running next to me in the grass, instead of the concrete and he hasn't had as many problems. I'd give the jogging a rest for a week or two, and just walk, to give them time to mend.

Thanks, I appreciate this. Just to clarify, the most intense pain is coming from the lower part of my leg. Literally the bottom most part of my tibia. The knees and upper part is fine. I would almost say that it could be coming from the ankle joint itself.
  • Anaria12
    Options
    Housework ... Yep that's it housework works wonders for the discomfort you are describing!!!!!!!! LOL
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options

Thanks, I appreciate this. Just to clarify, the most intense pain is coming from the lower part of my leg. Literally the bottom most part of my tibia. The knees and upper part is fine. I would almost say that it could be coming from the ankle joint itself.

That really does sound like shin splints and as other posters have pointed out, you shoes are the first place to look. But, not the only place to look.

Shin splints can often be brought on even when people re wearing the correct shoes but increase pace, distance or time running too quickly. It may just be that you need to rest, recover and start slower. I realise you did a sensible amount of running to start but you could consider some leg ad ankle strengthening exercises before you run again. You tube has some good examples.

Also, think about the surfaces you run on. Hard concrete pavements increase th shock nd make shin splint or compartmental syndrome more likely. Best surface for beginners is probably Tarmac or cinder paths.
  • mrFerris
    Options
    Housework ... Yep that's it housework works wonders for the discomfort you are describing!!!!!!!! LOL

Lol shut up you!
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have found that stretching after my run helps SO much! I don't stretch before, I just do a 5 minute walk, do my run, 5 minute cool down walk, and then I stretch the crap out of my legs. It's made a world of difference for me.