Road trip food ideas

Options
Hi I am going on a road trip/day trip which will probably last around 8 hours all together so I need ideas for food that travels well. I am going to take fruit, nuts and raisins as snacks but not sure what to take to eat?

My daily allowance is 1200 thanks

Replies

• nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are the way to go. Nuts can be tricky cause they are high in fat and can be high in salt too. Limit yourself on how many you pack and try to get ones without salt (raw is even better). Try making or buying kale chips too.

Also I find an audiobook much more entertaining then listening to music the whole time.

Good luck and drive safe! If you NEED a LITTLE something that will put you over 1200, do it. Arriving safe is more important than calorie count. However Cheetos and M and M's are a no-no :)
  • vilardip1
    Options
    cold cuts, trail mix, granola
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    cold cuts, trail mix, granola

Look at the package if you get trail mix and granola - some are very high in fat, sugar and sodium. Look at the nutrional info and ingredients before buying. Like with most things - portion control
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    One thing I discovered is frozen grapes. They are nice frozen, but are good when they defrost, too. Freezing them extends the time they last on a long trip. Another idea (if you like them), are freeze-dried vegetables. I love the green peas sold by North Bay Trading Company. They are straight veggies, without salt or oil and they can sub for crunchy snacks.
  • wreath7
    wreath7 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    also if you need a hot fast food item, look for Currito Burrito. i'm starting to love that place. lots of veggies and brown rice with your choice of toppings--they even put broccoli, carrots, and tofu in it and it's great without cheese or sour cream if you want.
  • get_fit_Milena
    get_fit_Milena Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has excellent freeze dried fruit too, sweet, crunchy and although I may eat them at times with one serving of dark chocolate chips (thats 16 cchips)., I truly like them alone.
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I live on the road during the week and have found that cold chicken, cold lean beef are good and filling. Smoked salmon is good too as it easily makes a salad more interesting.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs!
  • naplidon96
    Options
    Pack Some chopped veggies, OR what i like to do is [since everyone loves sandwiches on the road for some reason...] make a healthy turkey & cheese sandwich. 2 slices of Light Wheat Bread [40 cal. per slice] 1 slice of fat free american cheese[30 cal] turkey, and Hellmans Low Fat Mayo[15 cal per Tbsp.] and well ah! a 100 calorie sandwich!
  • BeesKnees181
    BeesKnees181 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Wraps (for meals) are a good option for driving and eating at the same time. I also like spring rolls for travel (but have learned to put the "suace"/dressing inside the roll as opposed to trying to dunk while in transit. I am a huge fan of Lara bars and dried mango for a pick me up. Don't forget to drink plenty of water, so you stay hydrated. It is very easy to get dehydrated while travelling.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I live on the road during the week and have found that cold chicken, cold lean beef are good and filling. Smoked salmon is good too as it easily makes a salad more interesting.

Your comment reminded me of this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/22/health/a-hard-turn-truck-drivers-try-steering-from-bad-diets.html?pagewanted=all
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options

Your comment reminded me of this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/22/health/a-hard-turn-truck-drivers-try-steering-from-bad-diets.html?pagewanted=all

I'll have a read of that later, can't pick up the link on iPad so will have to go on other computer :(