First Half Marathon Times and Training...

Options
Hey all,

I am always motivated by others in running accomplishments. I wanted to start a thread where people post the time it took for them to complete their first Half marathon and what training they did to accomplish it.

I am currently training to run my first on eMay 6th and being competitive by nature and having some perfectionist ways, i want to see where i compare, tho i know what i do is for me and I am proud of me and where i am and where i am heading...

Just thought this could be a motivational topic and help others see they can do it if they want to no matter what they thinnk now!

Replies

• JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    bump

No one want to share times and training?
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I'll share...

I finished my first half in 2:04:36 in early Dec 2011. I've always been active in sports but wanted a new goal last fall. So I signed up for a 2.5 month half training plan/support team at the local run shop. I also gained lots of fun new run buddies.

Planning on doing my next half in early March 2012, then another in mid April 2012.

You go girl!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I'll go! LOL! :laugh:

I ran my first half marathon Sept. 11 2011. My chip time was 2:56. I am running my second this year Chicago Half in September and I am aiming for 2 hours or 2:30 mins. I began training 2010 I do lots of running indoors during the winter and lots of outdoor running 3-5 times a week.

Make sure you do as much outdoor running as you can because running on the TM is nothing like outdoor running!

Good Luck!
  • almorrow1s
    almorrow1s Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I ran my first in October 2010 in a 3:09 time, and my second in October 2011 and got it down to 2:58. I used the free program at halhigdon.com, ran as much as I could outside and just took it slow. My motto is always "just finish baby!" So I'm not that fast, but I don't walk and I just finish. Good luck to you!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half last month after training for a marathon I ran in November. My training plan after the marathon was to run as many aerobic miles per week as my body could tolerate with a goal of at least 10 hours of running each week. Most of these were medium intensity with low intensity thrown in when I got too tired. I feel like in the two months between the marathon and half marathon my fitness improved greatly because of this running volume. My time was 1:35.
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My first official half mary was in October of 2011, with my personal record of 2 hours and 9 minutes! I don't follow training plans, I just run. The three or four months leading to this race, I would run MWFS. MWF were 5-6 miles each, Saturdays would be 6-10 miles. I was also biking 3-4 times a week (10-15 mi each), and doing strength training twice a week.

In June of 2011 I did a 20k, which is *practically* a half mary, and my time was 2 hours and like 38 minutes. I was out of shape and didn't train properly. I was only running as my form of "training" and I promise that is the LAST time I make that mistake. I also did this 20k in 2009 and finished in 2 hours and 10 minutes. The 2011 20k was my first race after having a baby the year before.
  • swtgrl42
    swtgrl42 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    my first October 2009, 2:44. I have run 3 more since then, best time was 2:30
    I do the Jeff Galloway method of run/walk
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon in April 2006 (I can't remember my time). The next one I did was in October 2011. My chip time was 2:14:50. Not bad I thought. I am running the Disney Princess 1/2 next Sunday (I hope). I must have tweaked a muscle near my right hip socket early this week and I have alot of pain in this area so I am ceasing any running until it feels 100% - which hopefully will be next week.

I have followed Hal Higdon's program and this time around I am following a program by John Strong.
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Wow, there are lots of runners out there doing Halfs! I Love it! Way to go everyone, hope to hear from more people about their accomplishments in this area!
  • JodaNord
    Options
    Oh another question to put out there, did you have a running buddy? or did you train alone?

My running buddy for the marathon doesnt live near me but we are running the marathon together...
  • tinattinat
    tinattinat Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'll be doing my first in April.....Galloway method. Since I decided to do it on a whim..... : D
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I trained with my husband. We added a mile to each long run every week and did at least two 5 mile runs twice a week and two 3 mile runs twice a week, then the long run on the weekend. Make sure you runs hills as part of your training too, I didn't on my first half and there was some hills in the run that I should have been prepared for.

My first half time was 2.28, would have been better if I had ran hills. My next half is a trail run in a statepark and I am running hills every run. I will be ready!!

Oh and make sure you hydrate with more than just water during the half, drink sports drinks too to replace electrolytes.
  • brucehalmighty
    Options
    1st and only half marathon...so far in October 2010 1:54. Trained alone, nothing fancy just running couple times a week outside on the roads. Mostly ran 7-8 miles. Making it the whole 13 was a feat for me and in that time. After that race I stopped running, gained 25 lbs, hence I'm on this site trying to help. I'm back to running 3 miles, only 10 more to go right ;)
  • JodaNord
    Options
    I think just having one of these as a goal is helpful to keep me motivated, so once i do this one, depending how i do, i will work to improve for a half the following year maybe...