Does sitting on your butt all day at an office job make your

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
I'm not saying sitting and pigging out all day or whatever...I just mean does your body composition change because of it? I've been told this my whole life...probably because they wanted me up doing something instead of vegging, but hey...COULD IT HAPPEN? ;)

Replies

• erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I sit in a computer chair 12 hours a day. 84 hours a week. Make time to workout. Its that easy.
  • kasafrass
    kasafrass Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Welll I've always heard that standing up burns more calories than sitting down, and last June I switched from a waitressing job to a desk job, and I've definitely noticed a weight gain. It sucks!
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I think it could change if you let it. But if you exercise, YOU can change your body composition!!
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    MFP even takes your profession into account when figuring out how many carolries you should have.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Sitting on your *kitten* all day is certainly NOT good. You do have to try to be as active as you can when you leave the office. It's pretty much going from active to sedentary. The one thing about my job that I absolutely hate.
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For 6 years, I worked as a liquor store clerk. About 2 and a half years ago, I was moved to the Purchasing department, where I sit at a desk all day. I gained 30 lbs my first year. I've since lost 45. I was so easy to put that weight on, too, because you just live your life the way you always did. Make changes that you can live with, because unless you want to get and stay fat, you'll have to do something differently.
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I hate sitting all day but it does allow me to take whatever I want for lunch and snacks. My husband is a carpenter and he doesnt always have access to basic things like microwave or extra water. He also doesnt always get to eat when he wants to. I like my office for the simple fact that I can plan and execute!
  • grannymayer
    Options
    I sat at a desk for 27 years with little or no exercise. I don't think my but got any bigger than the rest of me. However, I had to have a cardiac triple bypass. I believe that it was the lack of exercise, diet and genetics that caused that problem. I urge you to make room for a workout everyday if only a walk. It will make all the difference as you age. It will help keep you young. Wish you luck in your effort to get healthy.:flowerforyou:
  • mimi7grands
    Options
    Everyone who sits all day and still loses weight is amazing. That's all I can say. Plain old amazing. I'm finally losing weight now that I'm semi-retired and have some time to myself. Sitting at a computer all day didn't work for me. Even sitting at the computer at home doesn't work very well. Boredom leads to that compelling urge to snack!

Of course your body composition does change when you sit all day. Muscle turns to fat and fat doesn't burn calories. It's a vicious cycle. Latest studies show that sitting all day even if you DO take breaks to exercise is bad for you. Imagine how much worse it is when you don't take breaks to exercise.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I think it can... if you don't control it first... This article right here was the last straw for me. It lead me to change my office around so I stand more than I sit.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/sit-day-why-making-butt-big-172400389.html
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I work in an office & sit ALL day. Instead of emailing memo's I hand deliver them. Its nice to get away from your desk for a minute plus the interaction with your coworkers is good.

Use your lunch break to go for walks. Get some fresh air & exercise.

Pack healthy snacks & drink plenty of water.

Make time to work out before or after your work day.

You will be fine
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    I work a desk job....half my hours on overnights & the rest on day time...12-16 hour shift on top of that. I do munch a lot but the only things I pack with me are chopped fruit salad, almonds, oatmeal, greek yogurt. Special K crackers and special K chips are good too....or dry cereal.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    i'm at a desk all day and yes, i think it makes everything worse...you are sedentary, even if you exercise once a day...they say you should get up every hour just for a few minutes and walk around to keep your body circulating. And body wise, well look at people that do have sit jobs all day - have you ever seen a trucker without a big belly for instance? yep yep!
  • hels4397
    hels4397 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I try to get up and go upstairs when I can, but the desk job stuff is killing me. I used to work in a school and walked around/was on my feet all day. Now I'm not. I do teach 6 ZUMBA classes a week, and have started lifting. I need to stop being lazy and go work out @ lunch like I did today. It made the 230 slump not as bad :P But yea, I feel like I've been in a plateau and can't move, and I know that my initial weight loss was due to moving around alllllllllll day :(
  • Lindacharp
    Options
    I don't know about sitting all day. Never had a sitting job long found it to darn boring. Waitressing was the best for me. On the move. I always say the more you move the more you lose. But i've always had a hard time to stick to anything. So the weight just stuck to me. LOL. Hoping that MFP will help me unstick it.