Half Marathon

Options
JodaNord
JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
Just wanted to hear peoples success with their first marathon! What was your time and how did you train for it?

I have my first Half on May 6th and love being motivated by others success!

Replies

• tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am running my first half on April 29th! I hope to finish in around 2:15. Do you have a goal in mind?
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Ran my first Half last summer and came in at 1:45:17 on a very hilly course here in Bozeman, MT. I honestly didn't have any particular training regimen, just ran about 6 miles every other day, with the weekend trail runs/races (usually about 7-10 miles). I had energy throughout the entire run and never hit the wall. I have one coming up on St. Patty's Day this year, so I am pretty excited about starting the year off with a half, maybe a full is in my near future! Good luck and be sure to post your results!
  • JodaNord
    Options
    At first i just wanted under 3 hours since i have never run before Sept, but as i just completed 9 miles in 90 minutes Monday, i am thinking 2:30 tops i want to finish at... But i don't know if thats realistic.
  • katcod1522
    katcod1522 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have my first half March 18th. Ive been training with two 4 milers on Tues and Thurs..then long run (any where from 6-10) on a weekend day. I have a 10.2 miler this weekend, 8 next weekend, 11 the next (will be the longest I run before the 13.1) then a 5 miler the weekend before. That will start the taper week. Im also strength training 3 days a week. I finished my 9.5 miler 2 weeks ago in 1:46:00. I really want my half done in 2:40:00.
  • abbygm
    abbygm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have run a few half marathons and two full marathons and I am currently training to run Boston in April. I have found Hal Higdon's training programs to work well. Google him....
  • Nads
    Nads Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 1st Half Marathon on May 13th :) I'm following a Clinic with the Running Room! Loving my training so far!

I would like to finish between 2:15 & 2:30
  • JodaNord
    Options
    I have been following a Hal higdon plan and seems to be working good for me. The next long run is 10 miles and we'll see how i fare! i am aheaad of the game in terms of training, its only Feb and i am headed in being able to run the 13 miles by mid march at this rate...
  • jasharp021
    jasharp021 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    At first i just wanted under 3 hours since i have never run before Sept, but as i just completed 9 miles in 90 minutes Monday, i am thinking 2:30 tops i want to finish at... But i don't know if thats realistic.

That's my goal as well! I have my first 1/2 on 4/22. I'm pretty consistent with a 9:30 min mile to a little over 10 min/mile depending on how I feel.. I'm hoping that I can stay strong throughout the whole race. Good luck training and feel free to add :-)
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon last year in the spring. My goal was anything under 2:30 but was being realistic and told myself 2:45 with finishing the thing standing being success. I finished in 2:28. I used the training plan on Marathon Rookie.com

I have since ran 3 more half marathons (I'm hooked) finishing better every time. 2:23, 2:19 and last week 2:10.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I began C25K Halloween 2010, finished it in Feb 2011 (my daughter was in the hospital for a month, so it set me back). I was asked to join some other moms like me to raise money by running a half marathon, so I said yes. I trained from March until October, and ran in Columbus in the half in 2 hours, 30 minutes, 6 seconds!! I loved it! I'm kicking around doing it again this year!
  • bcr1559
    bcr1559 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I did my first half on October 26, 2011 and came in 2 hrs. 24 mins. My two goals were to run the whole time and finish under 2:30. I felt great to meet my goals! I used marathonrookie.com for my training program. Good luck with your and have fun!
  • mojonash
    Options
    I agree Hal Higdon is a great resource. So is the book: "Running Formula" by Jack Daniels PhD. My first 1/2 marathon followed a four month guide to increase mileage gradually and incorporate cross training like swimming, stair climbing, or bicycling one day a week into my routine. Strength training helps. I can't stress the importance of hydration enough also :-)
  • jclengerich
    Options
    When I ran my first half I was like you, just wanted to finish under 3 hours. I have used Hal Higdons training and its a great guideline. I just basically ran a lot, even sprained my ankle two weeks before. I surprised myself and finished about 2:18., pretty good considering i weighed about 245lbs at the time. Just do what works for you and remember to rest, yes i said rest.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half this past December in 1:57, I have my first full scheduled for 3/4 in NOLA, the day after I turn 41...happy birthday to me!
  • HRBush
    HRBush Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I did my 1st Half Marathon last June with my father. We finished at 2 hrs. 44 mins. My goal was to finish and my 2nd goal was for under 3 hours. We are running another one this May and hope to improve. We did the Hal Higdon training program last year and really liked it. Good luck!
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have my first 1/2 marathon on 3/3. I have been using Galloway run / walk intervals of 2:1. Last weekend I had my longest run ever of 12 miles & finished in 2:45 so my goal of finishing under 3 hours looks attainable!!
  • Runningirl7284
    Runningirl7284 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My first Half Marathon was May/2011. I did not train for it. I typically ran only 5Ks and a week before the race my running bud told me I should do it with her. I ran 10 miles on the treadmill a week before and decided I could so I signed up!

It had a huge mile long bridge in the middle on the race we had to run back and forth on and it killed my knees so I was jogging after that! :( I was really bummed I would have ran a 2:05 with my friend but slowed down to 2:10 finish time.

Good Luck on your first!!
  • slb106
    slb106 Posts: 70
    Options
    I ran my first half last October and finished in 2:17 (I think). My next one was in November with a time of 2:12. I have one coming up in a few weeks and my goal is 2:00. I use Hal Higdon's training program and I like it a lot. Good luck!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My first half was almost 10 years ago now. I followed Hal Hidgon and ran ~ 1:58 (goal was to break 2 hours). A couple months later I ran a 1:46.

These days I usually run in the 1:37-1:38 range.
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I didn't train for my first one, which was last March and I was able to run the whole time and I finished in 2:28.. I ran another in October and finished in 2:21. I have on this March and I am hoping for 2:15. I think elevation of the course makes a big difference, too. I recently signed up for a full marathon this October and I WILL train for that.. I already printed off Hal Higden's novice 1 training program. I considered 13 miles do-able considering I spend 2-3 hours the gym at a time (mostly on weekends..) I would run, then do a Spin class then do a boxing class, etc... I figured at the time that my endurance was up and that I'd be ok. I played soccer my whole life so I didn't think my joints, muscles would have an issue with the longer distance.

I do recommend some type of training :) Hal is the best!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!