Delicious egg recipe, no seasoning needed

Options
I'm not sure if this has been posted before, using search for "eggs" returned quite a number of pages that I wasn't really going to go through. I decided, however, to post it just in case.

The only thing you'll need for this delicious meal (at least, I think it's delicious) is eggs, however many you like, and heat. I got this recipe out of a book designed for nerds, "Cooking for Geeks" (or something to that effect), and had to try it. Here's the instructions:

1. Crack the eggs into a bowl, break up the yolk
2. Heat up a non-stick pan on very low heat. If you have an infrared thermometer, it shouldn't be over 130 F.
3. Add the eggs to the pan. Follow the instructions in the paragraph below and you should be good.

The whole point of low heat is because you will be slow-cooking this over the course of a half hour. You'll want to stir it regularly, and watch for the eggs starting to chunk up. If the eggs do start to become chunky, you have the heat on too high and you'll want to turn it down just a little. The time frame can be less than 30 minutes, but you're looking for a melted cheese consistency. When it's reached that consistency, it's time to turn off the heat and eat.

The first time I made this, I added no seasoning at all. No salt, no pepper, no butter like I do with my scrambled and fried eggs. I took a spoonful and absolutely loved the taste. Of course, you're more than welcome to add anything you like to it, but I really don't think it needs it. It's a change of pace from a regular breakfast, and though it takes a while to cook (as opposed to 5 minute eggs), It's well worth it in the end.

By the way, I'm new to MFP, and was encouraged by a friend to join. To be honest, I wasn't sold on the idea of MFP, but after 10 days using MFP, I feel like I have lost weight, though I haven't weighed myself in a long time. So hi!

Replies

• fguillory
    Options
    Wow that certainly sounds interesting. I will have to give it a try! Also glad you are enjoying MFP ^_^!
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do have to say that it sounds a bit strange but I love eggs. I like the whites well done but not rubber and the yolks a little cooked (kind of solid) but not fully cooked, if that makes any sense. I'm looking forward to trying this... I'm wondering if it turns out like custard. Thanks for sharing.
  • charneus
    Options
    It does turn out to be a bit like custard, actually. So, perhaps a better description would be a custard-like consistency.

When I read the recipe myself the first time, I thought it was quite strange. And I started to get worried when it didn't appear to be cooking (it was still quite runny after about 5-10 minutes), so I was sure I had done something wrong. But I kept with it, determined to try it anyway after a half hour. It started to thicken up, and I was impressed.
  • DeBiKin
    Options
    Strike One... Don't put a lid on it.
  • charneus
    Options
    Yeah, putting a lid on it contains and recirculates the heat, so it does get hotter in there, or so I think. Maybe should have mentioned that beforehand. Sorry!
  • DeBiKin
    Options
    Strike two... Don't make it when other people distractions you (so that you go into the other room). I still ate both batches anyway so my cholesterol will be off the charts today, LOL, oh well, the yolk's on me :p ... I saw too that I needed to make the burner so low that its almost blowing out. Don't think I'm going to try again tomorrow, I don't want to get sick of eggs. I still appreciative the recipe though. :-)