I won't/can't use fake sugar

Options
Most of the recipes here use fake sugar in one form or another. Most fake sugars give me gnarly migraines. Do I just use the same amount of real sugar? Can I use honey? Agave isn't an option in my house either. My son had a nasty reaction to agave nectar as a baby and I'm not willing to chance it again. Obviously that's going to change the nutritional information.

Replies

• MissJenova
    Options
    Honey is a fantastic substitute for sugar in many things. You could, however, opt for organic sugar. That's what I do. As long as it's organic I'll take the calories and enjoy the "healthier" option it provides.
  • MissJenova
    Options
    Fake sugar is usually a lot sweeter/stronger than real sugar, so recipes don't call for as much. I would add more real sugar than the recipe calls for. Maybe even double the sugar amount when you use real sugar, but you can always taste test as you go along.
  • scweegie
    Options
    I'm with you! Mostly though it's because you pick up a sweetener and it has ingredients, sugar just has sugar. When making a recipe that calls for sugar, are you really eating it all in one sitting? If anything, this site should teach about moderation and being accountable for what you consume, so you would eat maybe one cookie, not the whole batch that had 3/4 C sugar
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Most of the recipes here use fake sugar in one form or another. Most fake sugars give me gnarly migraines. Do I just use the same amount of real sugar? Can I use honey? Agave isn't an option in my house either. My son had a nasty reaction to agave nectar as a baby and I'm not willing to chance it again. Obviously that's going to change the nutritional information.

It will change the calorie amount though, so be aware of that.
  • vick9180
    vick9180 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Applesauce is a good substitution for sugar as well...a lot of them use high fructose corn syrup though, so if you're trying to avoid that also, check the ingredients list before you purchase it.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    honey and real maple syrup are good, natural alternatives
  • KittyMerlot
    Options
    Have you tried real Stevia? It has no fake-y stuff. Agave may have that reaction due to the pollen from the bees. Was that helpful?
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are a migraine trigger for me, too. I use honey or raw sugar in things like oatmeal and tea. Plain old granulated sugar if it is something I've made for the whole family. I just limit the amounts and don't really sweat it. It's sugar, not poison! Moderation is key.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,004 Member
    Options
    Just use real sugar and sweeten to taste. I reduce the sugar in almost everything, but I don't use artificials either. Check out skinnytaste.com I don't think she uses artificial sweeteners.