Always over on sugar

Options
I'm not on any sort of diet. I'm more watching to make sure I'm getting what I need and just to learn what is in different foods. I'm blown away at how easily I surpass my sugar allotment. It's seriously fulfilled at breakfast. I eat mixed berries, granola and plain all natural yogurt. WTH!? I wish they divided natural sugars and processed sugars, but I know that is pretty impossible. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    I wish they divided natural sugars and processed sugars,

Why? Your body, (assuming it's functioning normally), doesn't know the difference.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'm always over to. I eat healthy. I am loosing, I let it go most of the time... .Others would probably slap my hand for not caring to much about going over... but it's hard being perfect with every stat!
  • melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    Options
    I wish they divided natural sugars and processed sugars,

Why? Your body, (assuming it's functioning normally), doesn't know the difference.

Makes me feel better :) I guess I have just been brainwashed into thinking HFCS is the devile
  • puzzlingkirsten
    puzzlingkirsten Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I tend to be over my sugar limit by lunch time. I try really hard to avoid things that are highly processed or have added sugar, but as a college student it's really hard sometimes. I finally got my fats under control, so I'm working on the sugars more now. :)
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Set your sugar limit to 1000g and you'll never be over it again. (Unless you consume 4001 calories worth of sugar)
  • tshirt_tt
    tshirt_tt Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    ME TOO! I'm always over, even when I do great on everything else. 1 apple pretty much uses up my sugar allotment.
  • TheHig
    TheHig Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Granola is junk food cleverly marketed as healthy
  • castaliavt
    castaliavt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    milk always puts me over the sugar allotment for the day.
  • chrisc16
    Options
    You can't get away from natural sugars, if you're going to eat (especially) fruit. Unless you are on a sugar restricted diet (by your Dr.), I wouldn't worry too much.
  • rodrigo75
    Options
    the only time you really need to concern yourself with high sugar is if you are diabetic. As long as you exercise your blood will take care of the sugar. You don't look like you have a problem. if it bothers you just skip fruit a few days a week.
  • robyng1986
    robyng1986 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    this USED to happen to me too....

my solution : i took it out. went to settings or where ever and took it out! it was way too depressing to see i was over and to me i was eating fine!
  • Donna422
    Options
    Hi, I just joined this site. I know Iam always over on sugar because it seems like everything I like has sugar so that is one of my main concerns. Is the carbs column the same as sugar? Fruit and juice are packed with sugar. its going to take a lot of reading labels on everything to figure out what the sugar content is in everything you eat. Although this diary/calculator does not take into consideration peoples differences in metabolism or every step you take during the day so I don't think it will ever be 100% accurate for how much we are burning off. Is there a way to figure out how much sugar you burn off after a workout?? I don't know of any. You look like you are in great shape so I wouldn't be too concerned if you go over a bit but If you are concerned for your health have a blood sugar test done.
  • kasebrad
    kasebrad Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm always way over too. Just eating one apple almost puts me over my daily limit. I just stopped worrying about it :)
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I too was constantly over on my sugar intake.
    Last year there were some folks that posted this video and the information was enlightening.

I have since reduced sugar intake to under 20g per day and it has done wonders for me.
    I have lost weight, my cholesterol is back to normal cause my triglycerides dropped dramatically.
    I have had high triglycerides my entire adult life, and even with medication they were high.
    No medication since last year thanks to my low sugar diet. I am a believer.

I know that reducing or eliminating sugar is a very touchy subject for some of the folks here on MFP, but I avoid it as much as I can.
    I don't differentiate between "natural sugar" and the fake stuff. Sugar is Sugar.
    If I eat an apple I count that towards my daily sugar intake.

I consider fruit to be a treat because of its high sugar content, thus I don't eat much fruit. Maybe one piece a week.
    Its true that eating an apple is better than drinking a glass of apple juice, but your sucking in a lot of sugar regardless of which way you take it in. Everything in moderation and that includes sugar.

I don't subscribe to the idea of removing it from your MFP so you don't see it.
    You cant ignore something as important as sugar.

Watch the video, do the research and come to some sort of happy medium.
    I'm not saying you should eliminate every gram of sugar cause clearly that is nearly impossible.
    It is great to treat ourselves from time to time, but I do my best to stay under 20 grams and its not as impossible as it sounds once you start eating healthier foods.

Hope this video helps. WARNING, its a pretty long video given by a professor at UC, so it might not be very exciting.
    I think he does a great job of detailing how sugar gets used by the body. The video gets easier to follow after the first 5 min.

Sugar: The Bitter Truth
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • kalepowered
    kalepowered Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    As long as a majority of your sugar intake for the day is naturally occurring (fruit, etc) and not from processed foods, it's not really anything to worry about. Fruit can really stack up the sugar content quick, but it isn't bad for you unless you're on a specifically sugar-restricted diet.
  • lornabug
    Options
    In Marion Nestle's book What To Eat, she says the sugar industry influenced the Nutrition Info rules to lump processed and natural sugars into one category. Since sugar is sugar, they sort of have a point. But natural sugar is a sign that it comes with other nutrients because it's still "attached" to the whole food. Because they're lumped together, it's hard to see how much of each kind of sugar you're getting. One solution is to stick to the plan of eating lean protein first and cutting out processed foods all together. Then if you go over on sugar, but are not going over on your calories, you're ok.
  • craftzilla
    Options
    I have found the same thing -- i'm always over, even just from having greek yogurt for breakfast. How much are you usually over by? What do most think is "ok" to be over?
  • fraudbuster
    Options
    I just started tracking my food for most of the same reasons you are tracking and also am amazed that 1/2 grapefruit for breakfast and PLAIN greek yogurt with fresh berries just abouts puts you over on sugar. It makes me more aware of sugar, but if only fruits and plain yogurt puts me over, I don't worry about it too much.
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating sugar you'll have food binges Imo.
  • fraudbuster
    Options
    Completely agree with you. My thinking is, that it is not the apple that makes us overweight. :love: