HELP FAMILY IS OVER AND BIG UGLY MEAL AHEAD!!!

Options
My aunt, uncle and cousin came over to visit and tonight they're going to be cooking dinner. i'm happy i was able to talk them into the blue menu hamburgers. But they went through walmart and the grocery store picking up chips, m&ms, chocolate, cake. All sorts of ugly stuff.:sick:

My mom is a 280pound diabetic. I know she gonna gobble all that bad stuff down. It's gonna drive me insane 'cause i know what that stuff is doing to her:cry:

Help me talk myself into not stuffing my face!! Talk me into not stressing myself out with my mother, or my niece( evil uppity little troll), or the mountain of dishes( i can't relax when there's stuff that needs to be done. I love it when family comes over but i hate it because of the big heavy meals that are always served. I usually feel sick afterwards.:sad:

Replies

• tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Buy a bag of baby carrots and a healthy dip like hummus and while your mom is putting m&m's in her mouth tell her to try what your eating and she might be shocked how great your snack is.. or put out peanuts and almonds people tend to go for things they can just grab and hold in there hands while talking or watching tv... My family is the same way.. and it drives me nuts.... Drink water also! Water will fill you up so your not hungry and go looking for junk..
  • BABYLILAC
    BABYLILAC Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    You just eat a little bit even if they cook a lot food.Drink water yes it feels you up but you will t be tempted for sure but do not give in.For the past 2 weeks I have been eating clean so you can do it.Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    You might be going crazy with the family and all the cleaning, but usually when I am like that I don't eat as much because I don't have time! One up side of a mountain of dishes!:huh:
  • valerierackly
    Options
    don't stress out, have yours on a smaller plate,have water to drink, and you help prepare them all a lovely salad enought for all the family , you lead some of the talking and tell them how good your doing with the healthier foods you have now.. And even if you don't manage to keep all your new eating habits don't stress out about it, just start again in the morning and have a little extra walk or exersize. good luck.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Easiest way I have found it to look at your 280 pound diabetic mother stuffing her face and think to yourself "Do I want that to be me?"

When we go out to eat now, I look at all of the way way way too overweight people ordering crap food and it really helps me keep in control of myself.
  • mandyc1108
    mandyc1108 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Could you make a fruit/veggie try and set that out next to the chips? Unfortuntely we humans can never really control another human (love that power of free will) so you can't control your mom. Just give a better option and then hopefully you both take it.
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Get some healthy alternatives for yourself, enjoy them, and let the others eat cake :wink:. It's far more effective to inspire by example than attempting to force a change. And if they don't follow suit, at least you know you're giving them something to think about.