Starting to get back into things but...

Options
I feel like I'm in a rut, seeing as I don't have my gym membership anymore. I got rid of it to save for my car, and paying for a membership every month can add up. I now have my car, but theres the thing of gas, car insurance, plus other bills and expenses I have. Mind you, I'm barely above minimum wage, and don't get many hours at the job I'm at. I can't run outside at the moment because where I live, it's currently like the arctic (plus I don't want to slip and fall outside like a fool!) I hate doing workout dvds, because the ones I have are just....not fun. They don't make me want to keep going with them.
So the thing is, I'm looking for something that is fun, energetic, gets you sweating, wanting to keep going, and isn't expensive.
Just until spring/summer, when I can actually go outside and exercise that way.

Replies

• lynnmarie60
    Options
    Do you have a Wii? If so, rent various fitness games (Dance Party, sports) and exercise through that.

What about craigslist? Could you afford to buy used equipment to use? I bought a power rider for $10 on craigslist.

If not then could you afford layaway at a fitness store for a treadmill or stationary bike?

If none of those are helpful, what about fitness shows ondemand; do you have cable? Most have free fitness programs to use.
  • lynnmarie60
    Options
    Also, check with your local recreation center, mine offers cheap $5 per class for various exercise programs (zumba, aerobics, kettlebell, bootcamp).
  • AZDizzy
    AZDizzy Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Workout DVD's from the library? Try them all and see what you like and buy a copy of those?

I do Turbo Fire at home, but have ordered some other things to mix it up a bit.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Do you have a YMCA close? Some have hardship memberships available for lower income folks.
    If you don't like the workout DVDs you have now, check out what your local library has. I find the best ones by test driving them from free from the library before I buy them:)
  • Amberelise40
    Amberelise40 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What about something like sportsmonster or sport and social clubs? At least here in Chicago, you can sign up for all sorts of athletic teams - volleyball, floor hockey, dodge ball are all indoors. There is a fee to join the team, and the prices vary. If you are interested, but the price is too expensive, check out Craigslist. Teams are always looking for someone to come in and sub for free - especially women. I've played on lots of softball and soccer teams for free that way. It's a great way to make new friends, too!
  • Laceypalooza
    Options
    I didn't even think of the library! But whats Turbo Fire? Sounds interesting! I don't really have the room in my apartment to put any equipment, even though I have been wanting my own treadmill. x) We have a YMCA about a half hour from where I live. I have my car, but I don't have my license yet, so I can't drive anywhere. But the thing about my old gym was, I could walk to it, because thats how close it was! Haha. And my sister has the Wii Fit with that board you stand on? And I use that to weigh myself, but I'm not sure if she has a lot of workout games, because thats basically what we used it for, was to weigh ourselves.
    I guess I'm just being picky!
    I'll try the library, because before I was just buying the dvds and then testing them that way, and if I didn't like them, well that was money down the drain, haha.
  • aminakhan1980
    aminakhan1980 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Turbofire is a workout dvd system, its great, but pricey. You should rent some wii games at any video store around u to see if u like them, if u do, buy a couple. U can buy used ones at Game stop or even online (amazon.com). Also, I have seen workout dvds, weights and other workout accessories at Goodwills. Maybe stop and check there if u can find anything. Your gonna have to be creative if u can't get out of the house right now. It's cold here too, but I do go to the Ymca on a scholarship, which is a godsend. Try different workout dvd's til u find one u like. Good luck!
  • Laceypalooza
    Options
    Thank you! :D
  • marquesajen
    Options
    Dance! Make up a mix of songs you really like to move to and turn it up and dance in your home!
  • cjgsmg
    cjgsmg Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Do you have a YMCA close? Some have hardship memberships available for lower income folks.
    If you don't like the workout DVDs you have now, check out what your local library has. I find the best ones by test driving them from free from the library before I buy them:)

When we were in college we were able to get member ships to the YMCA for $10/month. It was awesome!!
  • thinby40
    thinby40 Posts: 113
    Options
    Try the Jillian Michaels 30 day shred or Biggest Loser DVDs. They're very motivating and you'll see great results. Also, the exercise channel on cable has a variety of free workouts that are fun and motivating. Good luck! It will be nice to get outside again to walk/run!
  • sarahrichards81
    Options
    Don't bother with DVDs if you have the internet. BodyRock has brilliant intense workouts that you can take from there - if you like to exercise with music just plug in your ipod and burn burn burn
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Check out websites like shape.com, self.com, fitsugar.com. They have at home workouts all the time with little to minimal equipment.

For cardio:
    Dance for 30 minutes
    Try circuit training: Do 1 minute of 5-10 exercises, then repeat 3-5 times in a row with a 30-60 second rest in between:
    jumping jacks, lunges, squats, planks, crunches, burpees, yoga poses, jogging in place, bicycles, tricep dips. Pretty much anything will work