Eating before early morning workout?

Options
My workouts are usually at 5:30/6am. I start with a 30 min weight session with my trainer followed by 30-60 min of cardio. I never eat breakfast before the gym, and I have been doing fine. No fatigue or dizziness and my workouts are still great. Once I get to the office I will have a piece of fruit and a packet of low-suger oatmeal.

My question for everyone is- am I doing any harm by not eating breakfast before my workout (or waiting to eat breakfast until after my workout)? Like I said, this isn't an issue of me feeling hungry or fatigued because of no food that early, I'm just wondering if even though I'm not hungry I should be having a little something before my workout. I'm also curious as to whether one would better benefit me with my goals of losing weight vs. the other.

Thanks !

Replies

• tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Good question, I workout at 4am most days and no way can I eat b4.......I usually have a hard boiled egg and whole wheat toast with Pb an hr after my workout though. I think if you feel fine it shouldn't be a problem. I heard you need protein after a workout, ask your trainer, also make sure you are drinking water!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I would let personal preference dictate your eating schedule. If you don't want to eat immediately before or after a workout, don't do it.
  • fraudbuster
    Options
    I used to do workouts before breakfast, until one day I passed out and ended up in the ER.They could not find anything wrong with me, they attributed it to working out on an empty stomach. It was a very bad experience, now I always make sure to eat something before my early morning workout.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    eating is a learned response from our childhood, society and social experiences throughout our lives. Everyone has something they prefer. Just find what works for you and do it.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    These are great responses. Tbresina- I like that idea of a hard boiled egg or just something with protein. I don't ALWAYS want to have a shake, but I can alway try to incorporate an egg or low fat PB on toast to give me a little protein. Right now the oatmeal and fruit hardly gives me any protein compared to what I need.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    If I work out first thing in the morning I'll often have a protien shake mixed with coffee (half a cup of milk & protein powder used as creamer).

However it's not needed. You'll still have plenty of nutrients in your body from the day before.
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    From personal experience, I can not eat and work out. Major cramp, heartburn, nausea. I workout empty as well, and make sure I slug the protein down after to feed the muscles.
  • big_drake
    Options
    I go in about 5:00 am and I've tired eating like a banana before I go. Now I just have a Gatorade and I've been ok. I usually start getting hungry on the way home though.
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I asked my cousin who is a registered nutritionist and she said its better to not eat before your workout, but if you feel weak, then go ahead and eat something small with a little bit of carbs.
  • sbrouillet
    sbrouillet Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I work out at 6:00am, usually up just before 5:00 so I am awake by the time my class starts. I usually just have a half of a Low Sugar Detour Bar with my vitamens and a glass of water. Then post workout it's usually a protein shake or sometimes just a Greek Yogurt with Kashi Go Lean Crunch and some fruit. It seems to be the correct balance for me anyway.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    I eat half a banana before I work out and the other half for a mid-morning snack.

Edited for grammatical errors. : /
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I do protein powder in just the half amount of water so my stomach isn't full. I usually have that 30 mins before - right when I wake up.

Then I have another shake after my work out and a hard boiled egg.

There is no way my body could make it through a session without something. We are using weights and I find when I skip I am weaker.
  • sassparilla77
    Options
    The trainer I use to have told me to eat something small before an early morning workout. I would do 1/2 a protein bar with water & drink a hydrating beverage during the workout which contained a bit of calories as well.
  • memcd911
    memcd911 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I envy you people who can eat bananas before a work out. They make me ill pre-workout. :(
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    I too work out very early in the morning (5am weights, 545am spin) and don't eat before class.

I like to keep a protein shake in my car for when I come out and eat a full breakfast within an hr or so of working out. I think it's all in your personal preference. I used to eat but found I worked out the same way if I didn't...so I don't bother anymore. Do what works best for you and your body.
  • monicaroozo
    Options
    I workout weekday mornings and don't eat my breakfast (chobani yogurt & fruit with coffee) until I am in the office 1.5 hours later. I drink water in-between this time. I was wondering if I could be doing anything to negatively affect my metabolism since I am not eating within the hour following my exercise. I have never had an issues working out on an empty stomach though and feel that this works well for me.

15146093.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter