Half Marathon

Options

Replies

• alicia2601
    alicia2601 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my first mini marathon May 5! It'll actually be my first race ever. I'm currently involved in a training program at my gym to get me prepared. I do that 3 times a week. My goal is 2:30. Good luck!!!
  • laurief1212
    laurief1212 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Great job to you for signing up. I have run 2 1/2's my 1st time being 2:30 very very hilly and then my 2nd was a 2:15 I am running my 3rd on May 6th and running a full marathon on September 29th. Good luck to you.. I have been slowly increasing my long rungs on the weekends and by the time i have my race my longest will be an 11 or 12 miler. I am sure you will do great..
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Wow! peoples times are really good for firsts! Maybe i can accomplish 2:30 or under!! way to go everyone!
  • FAVORED1
    FAVORED1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Yay for you!!1 Nothing like the first... It all depends onthe course... I ran my first in2:30 give or take, the first 9miles were flat and my time was around 11minute pace. However, there were steep inclines at the end which slows you down on top of already running 10miles. So, look at the course map and train accordingly if you can. The goal is to finish , I wouldnt be too concerned with timing for the first one. Now, go kick some asphalt!!! ;0)
  • sandybeachez
    sandybeachez Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I have my first half on May 6th, too. I am training and I actually enjoy my time running. My goal is to finish the race. Without the sweep vehicles picking me up. LOL
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 2 years ago in 2:50, but have been struggling with my stupid Achilles ever since - boo I miss running! Hope to get back into it this year with a 10k!
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Congrats on deciding to do your first half!!!!!!!!! YAY :)

I did my first one almost 3 years ago now. I finished at 2:22 -- then I did the same one last year and finished in 2:04 --- This year I am hoping for under 2 hours!!!!!!

This is the trianing schedule I followed - and I loved it !

http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/basichalf.htm
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to hear peoples success with their first marathon! What was your time and how did you train for it?

I have my first Half on May 6th and love being motivated by others success!
    I have my first Half on May 6th as well. I've been following a training plan I got from "Smartcoach" on www.runnersworld.com. I love it so far.
  • jdcraik
    jdcraik Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I did my first marathon (full) in Barcelona, Spain in 4:48 (very, very slow, but I finished). I did the Miami Marathon a year later in 4:00:29, and Marine Corps in Washington last October in 4:02:22 -- I can't quite break that 4 hour mark, but it keeps me trying.

For your first race I would strongly encourage you to "experience" it (races are loads of fun) and not "race" it or even worry about your time. Finish it, enjoy it and recover, and use your first race to set realistic goals for future races.

The "bibles" for training for these things are written by Hal Higdon and Bob Glover.

Three final pieces of advice: (1) Have fun, (2) Have fun, and (3) Have fun. OK - one more - don't neglect the "rest days" that trainers will tell you take; resting is crucial.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon last October and my goal was just to finish ;) It took me 2 hrs 49 minutes, but that was with a walk break at every mile marker and/or aid station, a 10 minute potty break at mile 8 (thank god for restrooms at public parks lol) and about 10 minutes of walking between mile 8 and 9 with a friend who hurt their knee...

I am running my next half on May 20 and expect to finish in about 2:15 or 2:30. And I'm still planning walking breaks but not sure how many I will need ;)

Good luck! I have heard half marathons are addicting!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I have my first 1/2 marathon on 3/3. I have been using Galloway run / walk intervals of 2:1. Last weekend I had my longest run ever of 12 miles & finished in 2:45 so my goal of finishing under 3 hours looks attainable!!
    I ran my first on January 15th of this year at the age of 45 and I also use Galloway's method.

I ran two short runs each week that started at 4 miles in October and gradually increased to 6 miles. I also had one long run each weekend that worked up to 11 miles two weeks before the race, then a long run of 6 miles the weekend before the race and no running for 3 days before.

On race day, a friend and I did 2.5 minute running and 1 minute walking intervals and our goal was to finish in under 2:45. We met that with a time of 2:42:42. I felt great at the end and even the next day there was no pain or any other after-effects.

I have my next half on March 25th. I'm hoping to beat my last time by a couple of minutes.
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half marathon Nov 2011 and finished in 2.28. I was not real happy with the time, but it was soooo humid and where I train and live is very dry. It killed me!! I drank only water at the water stations and should have drank some sports drinks too. Lesson learned :tongue: My next half marathon is March 3rd, just a few weeks away :smile: its a trail run, but I plan on beating my time. I've been running a lot of hills every run. I also am dong another half March 31st.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I did my first half marathon last February, and finished in about 2:30. Not the quickest pace, but at least I finished! I'm running my second half on Sunday and I'm shooting for 2:15 finishing time. I'm not a fast runner by any means, but it doesn't bother me :)

Hopefully next year I can do the full marathon!
  • I have my first Half on April 27th in Kabul Afghanistan. I have done, 5k walks and runs, 10k relays and before I go on leave back to the states and shock my entire family with this weight loss I want to prove to myself I can do anything I put my mind to. I don't plan on winning but I do want to run the entire race and finish. I work out 7 days a week now I am 26 days strong no break. I run three days a week, bike one, and use the elliptical for three. My longest run day is Wednesdays I run for 90 mintues and so far I have got up to 8.75 miles. There are so many sites out there with training plans (free) Google myfit sister you can do this.
  • FromMama2MILF
    FromMama2MILF Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am running my first half on May 7th (with my sister), and am excited to soon say that I have finished one. Since it is my first one, I'm not too concerned of my time, but mostly that I finish...and hopefully not last or hopefully not crossing it in an ambulance.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I am running my first half on May 7th (with my sister), and am excited to soon say that I have finished one. Since it is my first one, I'm not too concerned of my time, but mostly that I finish...and hopefully not last or hopefully not crossing it in an ambulance.

I am thinking the same way, i keep saying i want to finish on my own two feet! Having a time in mind is a goal for me to work towards, whether i get 2:30 or at least under 3 hours is relative to saying i completed one when I do!
  • jaxCarrie
    jaxCarrie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your training - I used Higdon and made it a 3x a week run (instead of 4) - with the long run ending every month.

I ran my first (Savannah - Rock and Roll Half) in November and came in at 2:28...my goal was under 2:45.
    I ran last the Donna Breast Cancer Marathon (half) last weekend and came in at 2:17...my goal was under 2:30. (this is a big Galloway Event).
    I am signed up for the Gasarilla Half in Tampa in early march...
    someone else said it...but the half marathon distance is addicting! I love it....and the finisher medals.

Also, follow the advice of a lot of people on here, enjoy the scenery (and energy, energy, engery!) of your first half, stop at the water breaks and make sure you are hydrated....have fun and don't worry too much about time.

Good luck!
  • beachbebe
    beachbebe Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have my 1st half marathon on 4/22 and registered to 'finish' within 2:30. I am using MFP food tracking to take help eat smart and take weigh off so its not so hard on my joints, and I am doing strength training and cross-training 2-3x and running 3-4x. My goal is to just finish injury free; however, I am hoping to get under 2:15 after ready the replies to your post. Good Luck!
  • warrenvalley
    warrenvalley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half last November. My longest distance up until training was 3.5 miles and we had 11 weeks to train. We did the Hal Higdon training program and I was surprised how quickly I could increase my distances. My goal was 2:20 but ended up at 2:23 - the course was incredibly hilly and my hometown has NO hills so that completely changed the game.

Make sure you run some type of race before the half. The atmosphere is so different in a race. I was not used to so many people around so that put me off at first. I thought the best part was the people cheering us on at the roadside.

Good luck! Keep to your training program and you'll surprise yourself.
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I ran my first one last Sept 2011 at 2hr 20 minutes. Am training now for my second one April 1st, I am pretty sure I will have a better time since I have been cross training and my pace has naturally improved. Good Luck !!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!