Sugar per day

Options
I am really struggling to stay under the suggested 26grams of sugar suggested in my profile per day. A medium banana is 21 g and blueberries with plain yogurt is 25 g. Unless I completely cut out fruit, I don't see any way to stay under the 26 per day, even when I'm being conscientious. Any suggestions or does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I haven't exceeded my sugar amount since I manually changed it to 300g per day.

Hope this helps.
  • jennable
    jennable Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I knew it could be changed, but I would think there is a reason it is suggesting 26g per day, right?
  • princessputz
    princessputz Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Open your diary....
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I knew it could be changed, but I would think there is a reason it is suggesting 26g per day, right?

no good reason
  • sharonsjones
    sharonsjones Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I did not know you could change the amount. I go over every day because of my fruit intake.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I mentally subtract the sugars in fruit and just count added sugars in processed foods or that I add myself.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    26g seems terribly low. I try to follow the rule of thumb that nothing I eat can have more than 10g of sugar per serving (assuming you are eating 1 serving :P), This does not apply to fruit or milk though, only things like cereal, yogurt, bars, frozen meals, etc... etc... etc.

I would manually adjust it to something that makes sense for you. Do a google search on how many grams of sugar are right for you per day and adjust it like that.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    One other thing- I've noticed that a majority of the foods in the database seem to be spot-on with the calorie,fat,carb, and protein count. The things I have noticed that aren't very consistent are sugar, sodium, fiber, and other vitamins. Mainly be concerned with the fat/carb/protein numbers and as long as you stick with in your calories and are eating fairly healthy you are fine.
  • jshish8
    jshish8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Daily recommended sugar intake for women is 30g. Recommended for men is 45g. I would recommend limiting added sugars and sugar in fruit (natural sugars) to these values. Unless you want to become diabetic.
  • jennable
    jennable Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone.