Nutrition help!!!!

Options
Msaip
Msaip Posts: 482 Member
What makes me want all these bad foods?! I swear I want to lose this weight so bad I am really good for a week solid and then everything falls apart! I have no desire to be completely clean as an eater but I am fighting a losing battle trying to stay even moderatly good! Is there something mentally that may be going wrong with me? I don't get it!

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    maybe it's a phase? I go through them sometimes too. Don't despair!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Try a weekly free day. It might help get those urges out of your system so you can stay on track the rest of the week.
  • Msaip
    Options
    I understand TOM can be a menacing little jerk but it just seems extreme! I eat great and then I'm like planning for a huge cheeseburger and fry meltdown! Then I get all depressed cause I know how I want to look but hate being unhappy not having the foods I want trying to get there!!!!
  • bugtrain
    bugtrain Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Something we all deal with at times......I've been dealing with it a lot myself lately.I think we just have to reach the point of wanting to reach our goals more than wanting those foods.
  • bugtrain
    Options
    Try a weekly free day. It might help get those urges out of your system so you can stay on track the rest of the week.
    Personally,I can't have the free days.....I know it works for some,but it just starts a free week for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yeah, I agree with this. Also, you may try alternating high calorie / low calorie days.
  • taso42
    Options
    Personally,I can't have the free days.....I know it works for some,but it just starts a free week for me.

Exercise self discipline.
  • AprilShore
    AprilShore Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have read that when you have sugar, you crave more sugar. So, I try to cut it out. I am making substitutions. For example, today I wanted a brownie, but I had sugar-free, fat-free hot chocolate instead. Also, I eat low carb or Greek yogurt when I am having a sweet craving. Good luck!
  • tabysmock
    tabysmock Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with this!! You can't be too hard on yourself or you will never stick to anything!
  • bugtrain
    Options

Not having the free day is practicing self discipline
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    What makes me want all these bad foods?!

It could be a number of factors. You have to remember in many instances junk food is cynically adapted and marketed to exploit a relatively unsophisticated palate. By making food high in salt and sugar it overloads our tastebuds causing relatively pleasurable sensations. Flavourists are employed to chemically enhance what is in truth pretty poor grade ingredients and target the tastebuds.

In addition, much of taste is actually influenced by smell. Therefore retailers will deliberately waft modified smells through their premises and outside to attract consumers.

Then there is the psychological aspect of growing up and being told that junk food as being a "treat" and cognitive imprinting. Junk food manufacturers will deliberately try and snare families to imbed pleasurable, unconscious associations with their food from a young age.

Knowledge is power. Sometimes you have to make a conscious and purposeful attitude to your eating at all times until you have "reprogrammed" yourself.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am not in the camp of eating whatever in moderation... I can't keep Oreo's or Chips or whatever in the house and say oh I will just have 2 or just a handful. I came from a place where that food almost cost me my life. I was eating boxes of Little Debbies at a time and bags of chips... Heck a light meal for me was 3 Big Mac's, 2 Large fries, and a Large Strawberry shake and then 30 minutes later I was reaching for chips and cookies. So when I had that AHA moment I had to rid the house of all that junk and replace it with fruits, veggie, nuts, etc.... If it wasn't in the house I turned to my other options to fill my hunger and to tell you the truth over time I stopped craving the junk and would sooner grab a cup of Almonds or some Cuties, etc.... I know to each their own and what works for one doesn't always work for others that being said if you can't control your cravings having those foods around maybe you need to try something different....... I also have aloud myself a cheat meal (spike meal) the rules are we have to go eat out, I can order whatever I want off the menu but have to eat it there and nothing comes home... We do this on Friday nights. On wednesday we have another eat out night but this meal is of the healthy variety ( normally like applebee's 500 calorie lite menu or fresh salad bar at Ruby Tuesday's..... These 2 meals a week help me stay on track and give me something to look forward too.... Good luck......
  • Msaip
    Options
    I am not in the camp of eating whatever in moderation... I can't keep Oreo's or Chips or whatever in the house and say oh I will just have 2 or just a handful. I came from a place where that food almost cost me my life. I was eating boxes of Little Debbies at a time and bags of chips... Heck a light meal for me was 3 Big Mac's, 2 Large fries, and a Large Strawberry shake and then 30 minutes later I was reaching for chips and cookies. So when I had that AHA moment I had to rid the house of all that junk and replace it with fruits, veggie, nuts, etc.... If it wasn't in the house I turned to my other options to fill my hunger and to tell you the truth over time I stopped craving the junk and would sooner grab a cup of Almonds or some Cuties, etc.... I know to each their own and what works for one doesn't always work for others that being said if you can't control your cravings having those foods around maybe you need to try something different....... I also have aloud myself a cheat meal (spike meal) the rules are we have to go eat out, I can order whatever I want off the menu but have to eat it there and nothing comes home... We do this on Friday nights. On wednesday we have another eat out night but this meal is of the healthy variety ( normally like applebee's 500 calorie lite menu or fresh salad bar at Ruby Tuesday's..... These 2 meals a week help me stay on track and give me something to look forward too.... Good luck......

Wow! Your doing an awesome job! I never buy those kinds of foods, it's just that I go to the first fast food restaraunt I can think of and gorge myself......Although it's too the point now I dont even get any satisfaction out of it.. I still like the french fries but everything else just tastes bland......and I feel guilt after eating it, the feeling of wanting it is still there....that's what I don't understand!
  • CyberEd312
    Options

Wow! Your doing an awesome job! I never buy those kinds of foods, it's just that I go to the first fast food restaraunt I can think of and gorge myself......Although it's too the point now I dont even get any satisfaction out of it.. I still like the french fries but everything else just tastes bland......and I feel guilt after eating it, the feeling of wanting it is still there....that's what I don't understand!

You don't know how many times I have been there and done that, but for me I literally had to hit rock bottom this last time for that vicious cycle to finally be broken.... I use to wait for my wife to leave for work and I would crawl to my truck and drive myself to my favorite pizza place and get a 21 inch pizza and a 14 inch pizza, a box of swiss cakes, and a gallon of chocolate milk.. I would head home eat all the 14 inch pizza and half the swiss cakes and all the milk then take the 21 inch pizza break up in tupperware and hide it and the rest of the box of swiss cakes in the coat closet. Take the pizza boxes and cut them into little pieces and put them in the garage trash can, then eat a big meal with my wife at supper time and when she went to bed and left me playing xbox live with my army buddies (she thought at the time atleast he is socializing with someone) then I would dig into the pizza from the closet. Eat it cold right out of the tupperware..... I did this atleast 3 times a week that final 2 years right up til the point I couldn't fit in my truck anymore, let alone walk into the pizza place anymore... Fast forward 32 months and 302 pounds and Now I split train most days and I drive past that same pizza places going to the Y and coming home and there still isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about that and someday's even say just one time for old time sake..... You see those demons never go away, you just have to find a way to deal with them and tell yourself you are worth more than it.... So I NEVER go through with those desires because when you know where I came from and how hard this journey has been I know it is not worth it.... Food will never have that control over me EVER again.....
  • taso42
    Options

Not having the free day is practicing self discipline

You're right. Good point.
  • Msaip
    Options

You don't know how many times I have been there and done that, but for me I literally had to hit rock bottom this last time for that vicious cycle to finally be broken.... I use to wait for my wife to leave for work and I would crawl to my truck and drive myself to my favorite pizza place and get a 21 inch pizza and a 14 inch pizza, a box of swiss cakes, and a gallon of chocolate milk.. I would head home eat all the 14 inch pizza and half the swiss cakes and all the milk then take the 21 inch pizza break up in tupperware and hide it and the rest of the box of swiss cakes in the coat closet. Take the pizza boxes and cut them into little pieces and put them in the garage trash can, then eat a big meal with my wife at supper time and when she went to bed and left me playing xbox live with my army buddies (she thought at the time atleast he is socializing with someone) then I would dig into the pizza from the closet. Eat it cold right out of the tupperware..... I did this atleast 3 times a week that final 2 years right up til the point I couldn't fit in my truck anymore, let alone walk into the pizza place anymore... Fast forward 32 months and 302 pounds and Now I split train most days and I drive past that same pizza places going to the Y and coming home and there still isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about that and someday's even say just one time for old time sake..... You see those demons never go away, you just have to find a way to deal with them and tell yourself you are worth more than it.... So I NEVER go through with those desires because when you know where I came from and how hard this journey has been I know it is not worth it.... Food will never have that control over me EVER again.....

Not even trying to be a kiss butt, but you are so inspiring! I find myself shying away from my husband to eat what I want and I don't want to live that kind of life! I guess I will just have to keep working on it one step at a time!
  • CyberEd312
    Options

Not even trying to be a kiss butt, but you are so inspiring! I find myself shying away from my husband to eat what I want and I don't want to live that kind of life! I guess I will just have to keep working on it one step at a time!

Yeah I didn't start off that way actually at one time I was a Powerlifter that ate strict meals and weighed 209 lbs. when I came out of the service in 91.... But we suffered the loss of all of our parents over the course of a year and a half and depression set in and I just checked out of life and food became my everything.... I work with a therapist to deal with my food addictions and when we began everything was so overwhelming so he told me to just deal with what I felt I could handle so I had to break it down to dealing with what I could handle on that given day. So every since then that is how a coupe.. I get up everyday and I do everything I can to be as successful as I can be for that particular day and when I go to bed I know that I have done all that I could have and then i get up and do it again tomorrow... I still look forward to things in the weeks ahead but I don't stress over them..... Just don't close yourself off, I did this and it was the biggest mistake I could have ever made.... Talk it out...... and remember that these struggle will be for the rest of your life, you just have to find your own way to deal with them.... Best of Luck to you..................
  • AngelaWeber
    AngelaWeber Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    WOW, thank you for sharing that. You like many of us, truly had an addiction to food! I LOVE food! I would occassionally eat in my car only because I was too hungry to wait for the ride home but would be embarassed if I was stopped at a red light and someone saw my fat cheeks chomping away at my food. I would literally stop mid chew out of fear that someone was watching me eat. I was and still am, ashamed at eating my food in certain instances. I guess its because I had gotten so big and felt like if someone saw me eating, even if it was healthy food they would look at me in disgust :-(

Still working on it - I guess we all have to find what works best for us - Trial and Error is the only way to go :-)