Scales going wrong way

Options
I've had pretty good success in my first few weeks. But now, it seems that the scales are not cooperating. I'm staying below my calories, juicing, not eating junk, and exercising. I've started running more and adding strength training and now, not only are the scales not going down, they are going up a little. I know the scales aren't everything, but it is a little discouraging. Muscle weighs more than fat, etc.

Has anyone else experienced a slight weight gain after doing more exercise while staying within their calories? I'm hoping this is a temporary issue!

Replies

• sirselym
    Options
    Don't worry :D I've seen this happen to some people countless times. You're not gaining weight, you're just building muscle. :D
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I've had pretty good success in my first few weeks. But now, it seems that the scales are not cooperating. I'm staying below my calories, juicing, not eating junk, and exercising. I've started running more and adding strength training and now, not only are the scales not going down, they are going up a little. I know the scales aren't everything, but it is a little discouraging. Muscle weighs more than fat, etc.

Has anyone else experienced a slight weight gain after doing more exercise while staying within their calories? I'm hoping this is a temporary issue!

It sounds to me as though you're not eating *enough*. If you exercise more, you need to eat more. What's your daily calorie consumption at the moment?
  • sxyfitmomandwife
    sxyfitmomandwife Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    happens all the time most of the time its just water weight. my ticker changes all the time last weekt it was 52 lbs lost this week 48 next week it will be different as long as you keep consistent the weight and inches will keep falling.
  • FainJ
    FainJ Posts: 25
    Options
    Yes, I've been staying within my daily calories as long as the exercise is added too. So I'm eating 1400 + close to whatever extra the exercise gives me. I'm definately hungrier with the extra exercise.
  • jktjcca
    Options
    ME!!!! This is me to a T! I just get excited and then a week later frustrated! I am taking the advice here and continue to try and work through it!
  • jktjcca
    Options
    By the way, I love your profile picture!!!

I have gained 4 pounds since last Sunday. GRR! So my 10 pound loss is now down to a measly 6! :sad:
  • FainJ
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! And glad it's not just me. My weight was going down like half a pound a day for a while! I'm sure it will get better if we stick with it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When you start to incorporate new workouts or do something you havent' done before, your body tends to hold more water. It's part of the repairing process.

Also, weight loss isn't linear, so you can't treat it like that.
  • FainJ
    Options
    Okey dokey. Thanks for the advice!
  • jktjcca
    Options
    I agree! Let's do this!!! :happy:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Don't worry :D I've seen this happen to some people countless times. You're not gaining weight, you're just building muscle. :D
    Muscle isn't weight?
  • ask4itall
    Options
    I totally understand...since the end of summer I have gained 15-lbs. I changed my work-out routine to bulk up...so...I know why I weigh more; however, seeing the scale move higher and higher is always scary. To help me cope...I started measuring body fat using a caliper (<$10) and found that I was at 9% body fat when I was 15lbs lighter and now being 15lbs heavier...I'm still only at 11%. Now that summer is approaching...I've started my summer trim down program. Good luck and check into the body fat calipers.

Ciao....
  • FainJ
    Options
    Great idea! Thanks!