Eating back exercise calories and margins of error

Options
I'm going to give eating back exercise calories a go, see if it helps with my losses. I'm just not sure how many of them to eat back. I know that I should probably eat as many back as possible but my HRM could overestimate my calories, though MFP and my HRM are often fairly similar with their estimates. So I was wondering if anyone has any advice on what's a safe amount to eat back without risking over eating? Should I leave like 20% of them or something?

Replies

• I honestly do not know what to tell you. What HRM do you have? The better HRM you have, the more confidence you can put into calories burned. Also, how well are you documenting everything in your food diary? Some of us tend to under/overestimate what we eat...I know that I tend to underestimate what I eat so I tend to eat close to all of my exercise calories back +/- 50 calories. So, I think there are several things you need to take into consideration. Maybe try eating all of them back except for 100 calories and see how it works for you? i'm curious about how others will respond to this thread..sorry I couldn't be of better help.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I'd go with eating 50% or even listening to your body and only using what you need to feel satisfied after a workout. I have seen MFP overestimate cardio calories by A LOT, but it also sucks to be hungry when you don't have to. You could always play around with the numbers for a few weeks to find a good number for you :smile:
  • solodancer
    solodancer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i personally only eat when im hungry, if im not hungry i dont eat my exercise calories back, i no everyone is different but that is my preferance. My calorie limit is 1750 but i have a range for myself rather than a limit, i eat between 1200 and 1750, if i dont exercise much i try and stay closer to the 1200 but if i exercise i can go closer to 1750 but try my hardest never to go above that. calories eaten minus calories burnt is what equals weight loss if you eat them back i dont see how it can result in weight loss, i dont take much notice of my net calories either....just dont let yourself get hungry would be my solid advice. all the otehr stuff if only personal opinion xxx
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not know what to tell you. What HRM do you have? The better HRM you have, the more confidence you can put into calories burned. Also, how well are you documenting everything in your food diary? Some of us tend to under/overestimate what we eat...I know that I tend to underestimate what I eat so I tend to eat close to all of my exercise calories back +/- 50 calories. So, I think there are several things you need to take into consideration. Maybe try eating all of them back except for 100 calories and see how it works for you? i'm curious about how others will respond to this thread..sorry I couldn't be of better help.
    It's not a very expensive or big brand one, that's why I wasn't sure. Though it often estimates similar to MFP for things like say walking, or cycling at a certain speed. I weigh or measure everything (I've got a set of measuring cups and I've learned how much certain measurements of things weigh so that I don't have to weigh every single thing) so my diary should be pretty accurate. Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
    I'd go with eating 50% or even listening to your body and only using what you need to feel satisfied after a workout. I have seen MFP overestimate cardio calories by A LOT, but it also sucks to be hungry when you don't have to. You could always play around with the numbers for a few weeks to find a good number for you :smile:
    To be honest, listening to my hunger doesn't really work cos some days I could quite easily eat only 800 calories or something. I used to be terrible, I'd go from having days where I wouldn't eat breakfast or lunch and then have a big dinner to days where I'd overeat. So my sense of hunger is a bit off lol Maybe I should aim for 50% for a couple of weeks, see how that goes and then maybe go up more and leave say 100 and see how that goes, find what works best.
    I personally only eat when im hungry, if im not hungry i dont eat my exercise calories back, i no everyone is different but that is my preferance. My calorie limit is 1750 but i have a range for myself rather than a limit, i eat between 1200 and 1750, if i dont exercise much i try and stay closer to the 1200 but if i exercise i can go closer to 1750 but try my hardest never to go above that. calories eaten minus calories burnt is what equals weight loss if you eat them back i dont see how it can result in weight loss, i dont take much notice of my net calories either....just dont let yourself get hungry would be my solid advice. all the otehr stuff if only personal opinion xxx
    Thanks for the reply. Exercise has benefits beyond just the calories that you burn during that time such as an increased metabolism/burn for longer afterwards, increases fitness, muscle mass so losing inches etc. I think some people find that their loses are slow because they're not eating enough, so the body holds on to it, so if you up your calories and eat some of them back, your body stops thinking it doesn't know when you'll next fuel up and lets go of the excess that it's been clinging on to for a rainy day. I think it's quite individual though, some do fine not eating them, some need to. I'm doing a lot more exercise lately and my losses are lower which is why I'm thinking maybe I should give eating them back a try.
  • Just to tell you...you will be glad later down the road when you start eating your exercise calories back. I used to be very thin...but very flabby. I would eat very little and workout...and it would seem as if my workouts were useless because my body shape never changed. A lot of girls on here have more weight than I do currently, but they have flatter stomachs, look much more defined and that's because they incorporated strength training and ate more while losing weight at the same time...so now I'm back trying to lose weight the right way...and that is by making sure you eat enough to RETAIN the muscle mass you have and LOSE FAT.You will definitely get frustrated because it will seem like the scale doesn't move down...and sometimes goes up...but I promise you it's better to lose the weight slowly and see differences in your arms, butt, stomach etc...then to lose all the weight and be "skinny" and be really disappointed with your body. Good luck!
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just to tell you...you will be glad later down the road when you start eating your exercise calories back. I used to be very thin...but very flabby. I would eat very little and workout...and it would seem as if my workouts were useless because my body shape never changed. A lot of girls on here have more weight than I do currently, but they have flatter stomachs, look much more defined and that's because they incorporated strength training and ate more while losing weight at the same time...so now I'm back trying to lose weight the right way...and that is by making sure you eat enough to RETAIN the muscle mass you have and LOSE FAT.You will definitely get frustrated because it will seem like the scale doesn't move down...and sometimes goes up...but I promise you it's better to lose the weight slowly and see differences in your arms, butt, stomach etc...then to lose all the weight and be "skinny" and be really disappointed with your body. Good luck!
    That's exactly why I'm doing it, I don't want to be skinny fat!
  • Squeezyweezy
    Squeezyweezy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just to tell you...you will be glad later down the road when you start eating your exercise calories back. I used to be very thin...but very flabby. I would eat very little and workout...and it would seem as if my workouts were useless because my body shape never changed. A lot of girls on here have more weight than I do currently, but they have flatter stomachs, look much more defined and that's because they incorporated strength training and ate more while losing weight at the same time...so now I'm back trying to lose weight the right way...and that is by making sure you eat enough to RETAIN the muscle mass you have and LOSE FAT.You will definitely get frustrated because it will seem like the scale doesn't move down...and sometimes goes up...but I promise you it's better to lose the weight slowly and see differences in your arms, butt, stomach etc...then to lose all the weight and be "skinny" and be really disappointed with your body. Good luck!

That is great advice, I am doing the same as Caroline for that very reason. I am a big girl, but I want to loose weight and tone up at the same time.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I would up them a 100 a week and find my zone that way.
  • solodancer
    solodancer Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    yeah i do eat them back if im hungry...i never let myself go hungry, if im hungry i will eat, if im not i wont, but like i say that is only my opinion, im still finding my best way to do things so i might end up changing that. i hoep u find wot works for u :-) x