plateau blues

Options
My first week on MFP I dropped 5 lbs quickly and for the past two weeks. I haven't gained--I haven't done must differently...why can't I lose more weight? I've heard of a plateau, but how long is it supposed to last?

Replies

• amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    When a person has relatively little weight to lose, your body tends to try to hang on to it harder. Someone who has a 100 pounds or more to lose can drop weight like it's melting off. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll see results.

I know the feeling, I have been stuck at having lost 39 pounds for weeks and weeks...I eat just right and nothing, I eat bad to shock my system, nothing. I'll get through it eventually, but until then it's frustrating, I know.

Drink plenty of water, which is something I have to get strict about again, stay within your calories and try switching up your workout routine, and you'll see progress soon.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Your body sometimes gets in patterns. Try changing up the intensities of your workouts. Have a "challenge" week as I call it and do a bunch of intense workouts then follow it up with an easier week. See if that helps. It did for me.
  • nikii14
    nikii14 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly what you are going through. Because you don't have alot to lose, it will be more difficult to lose. I have been on this website for quite a while reading all of these wonderful success stories on how people are losing 10 lbs a week...WHAT?????
    Ive been doing this for 4 months and have lost only 13 lbs... Some months, I lose nothing.
    You have to continue and DO NOT GIVE UP even as discouraging as it is. just remember, even if you don't see the scale move, you are improving your body!!
    BTW...take measurements, you'd be surprised how many inches you can lose without the scale moving!

GOOD LUCK!!:flowerforyou:
  • 1harleygal
    1harleygal Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    :smile: Try changing up your excercise routine or diet. I am doing Jillian Michaels Lose 7 Pounds in 7 Days and have lost alread 2 in my first two days. It goes like this:

Breakfast: 2 pcs low calorie bread with 2 egg whites
    Snack: 14 Natural Almonds
    Lunch: 2 cups lettuce, 1/2 c. fat free shredded cheese, 1 1/3 tbls McCormick Salad Toppings, 1 tbsp Salad Pizzaz, 1 tsp fat free raspberry vinagarette dressing & 1 tsp fat free balsamic dressing
    Snack: 2 celery stick with 2 tsp natural peanut butter
    Dinner: 3 oz lean chicken or turkey, 1 c. brown rice, 5 stalks asparagus

Hope this helps!:smile:
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    :smile: Try changing up your excercise routine or diet. I am doing Jillian Michaels Lose 7 Pounds in 7 Days and have lost alread 2 in my first two days. It goes like this:

Lunch: 2 cups lettuce, 1/2 c. fat free shredded cheese, 1 1/3 tbls McCormick Salad Toppings, 1 tbsp Salad Pizzaz, 1 tsp fat free raspberry vinagarette dressing & 1 tsp fat free balsamic dressing

The rest of that meal plan doesn't sound so bad, but I think I would absolutely starve to death on that lunch. That would never get me through till dinner. How many calories is the whole day? What do you do if you don't like some of the food, like asparagus, yech:happy:
  • schmoopie1213
    Options
    idk try somthig differnt
  • cmleo82
    cmleo82 Posts: 1
    Options

Is this thw whole diet? Eat this everyday for 7 days? I'm stuck lost 18 lbs and for the last month I have been eating right and busting my *kitten* at the gym and no results!!
  • knottylibrarian
    Options
    Thanks for your support everybody :-)
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Patience grasshopper, this happens. I've been working on this for 6 months and probably gotten stuck 6 times. Just stick with it, maybe change up a routine or an exercise. Shock your system a little with some calories or something. This too shall pass.
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Change it up. Mix up your menu, ditch some extra sugar and rev up your regular exercise with something new and intense. Just a few changes can get you moving again, but try to focus on overall health and not just the scale. You're doing amazing things for your body by just eating healthier!!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Try increasing cardio and strength training.