Exercising at work. . .?

Options
As i am getting into fitness. . . I find myself wanting to be more active throughout the day- the problem is i work at a desk in front of a computer, so not much physical activity there!

I want to start taking a break and exercise, but i am a little embarrassed... Anyone else do this?

What are your thoughts??

Replies

• mindysreadyforchange
    Options
    I exercise at work! On my lunch break (I get an hour) I walk/run 5 miles. How long is your lunch break? Could you do something like that? Or you could go out and do lunges and squats. Or even sprints.

I just bring a change of clothing and then when I get back I rinse my face off, apply deoderant and use body spray. Have not had any complaints :wink:

GL!!!
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about this as well. Except I only get 30min. I do 12 hr shifts 6a to 6p, so I don't exercise on those days. I've thought about getting others to do 30day shred on our lunch break but am not sure we have a place to do it.
  • mindysreadyforchange
    Options
    I love you running up and down the stairs idea! That will burn a lot in 30 minutes! I would not be embarrased! For me I just remember that my lunch and breaks are my time!
  • jtcc91
    jtcc91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm at a desk job all day, too... finding the time to get in a really good workout is always a challenge for me. Once in a while I will get up early enough in the morning to get one in before work, but that's not always reasonable for me (so not a morning person!)

At my current job I am fortunate that I can take my full lunch hour every day, and virtually every day I will go out and walk for at least 30 minutes. I work at a college, so I know of a lot of people who also use lunch to walk/run/workout. I've just recently tried using the gym we have access to, for cardio equipment, but I need to develop a better routine for cleaning up as I don't have enough time to shower and I don't like getting all sweaty in the middle of the day. So far, I just stick with the "walking at a brisk pace" routine at lunch. I do my more sweaty workouts at home after work! Even with my lunch time walks, I always keep baby wipes and deoderant on hand to freshen up after.

Good luck!
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I love you running up and down the stairs idea! That will burn a lot in 30 minutes! I would not be embarrased! For me I just remember that my lunch and breaks are my time!

Yea it sure does! But that's what i'm going to do! I'm going to have "my" time to exercise! I will have to get over it! Thank you! :)
  • marquesajen
    Options
    I get up and walk around and lift books or other things in lieu of weights.
  • mpbl282
    Options
    The days I don't go to the gym I walk on my lunch break! Very peaceful and afterwards I actually feel energized to get thru the rest of the day! It's about a mile and normally takes me between 18-20 mins I am hoping by the Spring to be up to 2 miles! I recommend it if you have the time and location to do so!
  • keywestsunset
    keywestsunset Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    steps is a good idea. I work on the second floor and try to take the stairs, sometimes I forget though, it's such a habit to hop on the elevator.
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like to walk buring my lunch break (1/2 hour) we have an awesome hill. I have light handweights, MP3 player, and gym shoes (in) under my desk. When the weather does not cooperate (like now) I play a walking DVD on my desktop, sound muted, with an MP3 player.

walking videos look like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related
    ...... great if you can shut your door, or get a small group together.
  • Justine13
    Justine13 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have an exercise ball at work. I do crunches, the plank (hold onto your desk for balance), and one legged squats on it throughout the day.
    It also helps with posture as well.
    I highly reccomend trying it.
    My stomach is showing awesome results and i'v only had the ball for about a month!

Justine :0)
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I found several sites that have lists of exercises to do while sitting at your desk. Pretty good things to keep you moving throughout the day. All you need is a chair
  • Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm a LVT, so I'm on my feet 10 hour shifts, but between rounds of treatments sometimes I feel bored so I'll with do laps around treatment, march in place or occasionally push ups off the table. Coworkers are like what are you doing? My response ids, burning calories. But until a manager says something I'm gonna keep doing it.
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I walk on both 15 minute breaks and I got a lady to join me. Even if she doesnt, I still do it. It's for you not them. And lunch when I can walk, I do too.
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm a SAHM these days but when I was working some of the women in my office would bring their walking shoes and walk at lunch. I don't know what the weather's like where you are but if it's not too cold right now, you can maybe get some other peeps together for some walking at lunch.
  • jatiger83
    jatiger83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I work at a desk as well, and at 2 different locations. One location has a walking path marked off for employees to walk on breaks and lunch. When i'm at the other office I go for walks outside around the building. Once in a while I have a co-worker join me but other than that I just walk by myself :) Don't be shy just do it ! :)
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I totally do. I go for walks or I sometimes take a 1 hour pilates class. :)

Just bring a change of clothes, some deodorant and maybe face wash. You're good to go!

Oh, also, I might suggest you get a balance ball chair for your office. I got one and I feel like I get to work on my core and stabilizing it all day. LOVE that thing!
  • rfarinha
    rfarinha Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I keep wipes in my gym bag too... they really do the trick to freshen-up when you really can't shower, but don't want to be nasty back at work. =)
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I have a mini-stationary bike under my desk at work. They are quiet and easy to transport. I get cardio in while I work, so it never disrupts my after-work plans, and it keeps me active while I sit and work. You can get them online or at places like Walmart. They also make ellipticals and stair steppers in miniature versions (basically all it is is a little machine that has the pedals, no wheels or anything). It's not going to get you some high impact action but it will get you endurance and calorie burning while you're getting paid, and you don't have to use your break time to do it! It's one of the best investments I have made. All you need is enough space to pedal and a supportive chair :)