Sugar Addiction... Help!

Options
I searched for a topic like this, but couldn't find one. So if there is and I missed it, please point me in the right direction (:

I'm addicted to sugar. When I try to kick the habit, I go through withdrawals like I would if I was trying to stop smoking. I get really stressed out, can't think about anything other than sugar... I go NUTS, and I'm no fun to be around at all. I always figured I was an emotional eater, but maybe I have it backwards... I get emotional when I don't eat sugary crud. And in all honesty, I don't really even LIKE sugar. I mean, I like chocolate as much as the next girl, and I'm a pretty big fan of donuts and cheesecake, but it's a rare occasion when I have those. The crap I eat is more like cereal, candy, bread, ice cream... my brain just screams sugar -- it doesn't discriminate.
Anyways, could anyone give me some tips on how to kick this? Is there a biological reason why it's better to quit cold turkey, or taper off intake? Any other tips?
And I'll go ahead and give you my stats, because even though I don't think they'll matter when it comes to this topic, I'm not exactly an expert (obviously, lol.)
I'm 18, 5'8" or 5'9" (haven't been measured in about a year) and 180 lbs.
I've been running on and off for a while, but for the past week I've been running/walking close to two miles consistently. Additionally, I'm a housewife, so I do a lot of housework.
Thanks in advance, guys (:

Replies

• 2dogmom
    2dogmom Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same issue with sugar. I'd like to clarify that while there is hidden sugar in EVERYTHING, I go for the in your face sugar snacks: Starbucks mixed drinks, little debbie snack cakes, candy bars, Mt. Dew etc. When I can keep the crap out of my mouth the withdrawal subsides after about a week, and I feel energized and refreshed. Then something will trigger a binge. I truely felt like I had a mental problem last week complete with hiding the wrappers so no one would know what I had eaten - nearly 400g of sugar. This prompted me to do some research. I have to go cold turkey, the instant I have one thing with sugar I want more and more. Good Luck

Just google "Sugar Addiction" as well as "Sugar and Insulin"

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/expert.q.a/04/27/sugar.addiction.raison/index.html
    http://www.womentowomen.com/insulinresistance/sugarcravings.aspx
  • Flyer615
    Flyer615 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I went through something like this last fall. It seemed like the more sugar I ate, the more I wanted. Consequently, I developed a blood sugar problem. Now, I don't know whether the cravings caused the problem, or the problem caused the cravings (maybe some of both). What I do know is that it was so serious that I could hear the neon transformer on the "HOT" sign at Krispy Kreme 30 miles away. :noway: When the doctor had his serious talk with me, it scared me straight. I quit all sugar (real and fake) that day. Two days later, I experience a tremendous energy boost that has continued for almost three months. For me, the drop-it-all-at-once option has worked best. I lost a taste for it because of fear (doctor news), but now, I don't even miss it.

Refined or added sugar is a source of false energy that really boosts you for a short time. Then, it drops you like a bad blind date. Good luck!

Endeavor to persevere.
  • shrdlicka23
    Options
    Stop buying it. I haven't had cereal since fall of last year. I eat eggs, toast and fruit or oatmeal and fruit(with NO added sugar) for breakfast. I limit candy to once or twice a month in moderation. Thank God my husband and I like completely different kinds of candy. I buy 100% sprouted bread(0 sugar) and every now and then I'll have an english muffin when I make an egg mcmuffin. I can't have regular ice cream because I'm allergic to dairy but I love the coconut milk kind but I just don't buy it. That's the key. Stop buying stuff with tons of sugar in it. Most of the sugar I eat is from fruit which I limit to 1-2 servings a day. The yogurt I buy is also high in sugar but its like the only one I can eat because of my dairy allergy. I only eat that 1-2 a week. Everything in moderation.
  • Pam_Leslie
    Pam_Leslie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Check out "Candida Symptoms" on the internet and see if you have all the same symptoms. I am doing the candida diet and I haven't had any sugar, yeast, or any processed foods since January 4th. I seriously wondered if I would live thru the first week because of the physical reactions to the deprivation of all the terrible junk I was eating. But, my goodness, I feel sooo much better now. It's crazy! I really even like the way I'm eating now. I've gotten to the point where I can add back some more foods, but really, I've been quite satisfied eating healthy, I'm not planning to go back to the old way of eating. I'm not saying I'll never have sugar and breads again, just that it will be an occasional treat.

Plus, I have dropped about 20 pounds in 6 weeks. And I feel SO great!!

Good luck!