Hi. My name is Amy and I'm addicted to SUGAR!

Options
I need to ween off of eating so much sugar and need help. I try but I literally feel like a drug addict trying to get off of a drug ( I get headaches and everything) any advice to ween from sugar? I know i'm not the only one with this issue. :) Help!

Replies

• EncoreUneAutreFois
    Options
    Aside from looking at your sugar allowance on MFP, try by switching to fruits whenever you get a craving. It depends on the type of fruit, too. For instance, when I have a sugar carving, sometimes an apple won't do... but a kiwi hits the spot! Keep in mind fruit does have a lot of sugar, but I think you'll find switching to an unprocessed variety will help your body come down to a normal level of cravings, and then they may diminish.

And don't worry if you slip and have some chocolate cake, it's ok.... but maybe this time you won't be tempted to eat the whole cake!
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Addicted to sugar? As Jillian Michaels once said "who isn't" ? :laugh:
  • itsallyson
    itsallyson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    definitely switch from refined sugar/brown sugar to Agave nectar. :)

Also try looking for raw vegan dessert cookbooks (or online recipes). I have a few and they usually call for dates instead of any added sugar. They tend to fill me up a lot faster too so I eat less.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Addicted to sugar? As Jillian Michaels once said "who isn't" ? :laugh:

So true...lol

As for quitting sugar... go cold turkey. The headache will only last a few days.

Eat more natural sugars...fruits!
  • c8miller
    c8miller Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I agree 100%!!!! OMG! I feel like a sugar addict who desperately needs help. I find when I eat something salty I REALLY crave something sweet. I'm not a huge fan of chocolate, but I love candy that is full of sugar. Help!
  • emilyhawarah
    Options
    Honestly, this is very unscientific advice, but I have found that the more water I drink, the less cravings I have for sugar. And for some reason, ice water helps even more. It may be completely psychological, but it works for me.
  • chellehubcap
    Options
    I love sugar also! I am trying to cut back on sodas and sweets but am doing it gradually. I know not everyone will be in favor of this method but I have cut my sugar intake 3/4 since Christmas. I am pretty happy about that! If I was to go to the sugar intake that I currently have at Christmas I would have gone into shock! :embarassed: I feel I made the right choice for me.
  • ineedhelp18
    ineedhelp18 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am too. I get shaky and jitterey from it. I will eat brown sugar by the spoonfull (I know so weird and so gross!!)
  • AnneMK5
    AnneMK5 Posts: 110
    Options
    I find that staying away from breads, pastas and other refined carbs helps me to stay away from other things that have sugar. I still eat fruits. The longer you stay away from those things the easier it will get, the cravings will die down.
  • spartacus787
    Options
    I've never been a big sugar lover. But, whenerver I get a craving for sugar I go for a Yougurt, a cup off coffe w/Splenda or a Protein Bar (a Healthy one). Sugar cravings for me occur whenever I workout very hard. It is a like I NEED ME a piece of cake soon, or I'll die! But it passes, it only lasts a few minutes. This my work you....Good Luck!
  • atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yep, did it long ago on Sugar Busters and lost a lot of weight, had headaches and craved it for about 2 weeks, and then, poof! It really didn't matter after that.

I went back to eating sugar, bread, etc, gained the weight....now, with MFP I can make myself stay away because I'm watching all of the stuff, sugar, sodium, carbs, calories, protein, etc. I'm just not wanting it as much.

Good luck, you can do it.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat will give you more satiety so if it's a hunger type feeling you're fighting, try foods higher in those. Eggs, nuts etc.

If it's the sweet tooth thing that's the problem. Maybe you could try stepping down to sugar substitutes? Truvia, Splenda etc. I wouldn't stay on them long term because there really hasn't been any good long-term studies on human effects yet but a few months won't hurt. There are some decent tasting snack bars out there flavored with them.

@the other poster that mentioned fruit: great idea! (better than substitutes for sure)
  • krissyarh
    Options
    I quit cold turkey on pop - no Mt. Dew, No Coke, no Dr. Pepper - PERIOD. Not even diet.., so I still craved other sugars and needed the 'rush'. I will give myself "treats" but in moderation. I have dark chocolate covered jumbo cashews (only 110 calories for 11 of them), a dark chocolate & peanut butter protein bar, (190 cal), sugar free jello pudding with fat free whipped cream.., or CEREAL. Cereal is the BEST b/c it gives me the other nutrients I need.

Don't deprive yourself completely or you'll PIG OUT trust me!
  • castaliavt
    castaliavt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey worked for me. Last fall, I decided to go cold turkey on any added sugars. So I still drank milk and ate fruit, but didn't add sugar to my coffee or oatmeal and stayed away from treats. The first few days sucked! But it started getting easier after that and after a couple of weeks, I was amazed at how sweet foods started tasting. Stuff I had never noticed before. It was pretty eye opening.

Then Thanksgiving hit and Christmas and all the treats that go along with the holidays. I did indulge a bit, but a lot less than in the past and I'm still finding it much easier to stay away from sweets. The cravings are almost gone and I'm not like a drug addict needing a "hit" of chocolate or something after dinner anymore.
  • sweetgl
    sweetgl Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys and i'm glad i'm not alone in this struggle. I think I could try the cold turkey thing if I didnt have so much stress and had to work so much and you know what they say even if I did make it the two weeks "youre always only one cookie away from being back at the begining" ;P
  • jedibunny
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys and i'm glad i'm not alone in this struggle. I think I could try the cold turkey thing if I didnt have so much stress and had to work so much and you know what they say even if I did make it the two weeks "youre always only one cookie away from being back at the begining" ;P

Last week I started here and I realized in the first day of consciously cutting back (BACK, not OUT) sugars that I was completely exhausted. I started making black tea instead of reaching for a cookie, and that actually helped. Then with a birthday party last weekend and V-Day on Tuesday, I knew I wasn't going to be able to avoid it, so instead of bending over backwards killing myself to stay away from it I did three things:

- stopped putting sugar in my coffee. Seriously, I just stopped. If I felt like doing it, I stared at the sugar packets for about 20 seconds, mentally told them I was better than that, and resolutely walked away.
    - allowed myself to have something: a bite of cake instead of a piece, a single chocolate instead of a few, etc. The most sugar I ate at once was a Cookiewich from Byrne Dairy and I felt like CRAP afterward, so I won't be doing that again.
    - accepted small gifts of sugar graciously and didn't blame myself for eating them. I'm beginning to feel the difference and wonder why I ever ate as much sugar as I used to in one day... it makes me feel SO tired later on! I indulged slightly, but the second I realized I was reaching for a piece of candy or a cookie or another bite of cake I slapped my hand and backed off or I handed the candy which someone had slipped onto my desk to someone else who really visibly wanted it.

Ok, maybe that's more than three, or less - I'm not a mathematician! ;P The idea, though, is cut back. You'll start to break the addiction faster than you think you can.
  • HeatherFP13
    HeatherFP13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also love sugar...wish I didn't...but I do! lol When I get a sweet craving (usually the middle of the afternoon...like RIGHT NOW!) I have a big glass of cold water and some gum. I don't know why, but that usually works for me. Also, I don't cut sugar out completely. I know I couldn't do that. It's easier for me to resist that cupcake today if I know I'm going to have a brownie on Saturday (for example). Good luck!
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I, too, am a sugar addict who's trying to kick the habit. SO- baby steps...

First, I vowed to eliminate 4 of my favorite sugar rushes from my diet for 2012 (cake, candy, shakes, ice cream)...so far, I've been doing great without them (although I miss them VERY much.) It's not easy to give up something you love for a year, but it's possible (and gets easier with time.) Last year, I gave up McDonald's (which resulted in shedding quite a few pounds!)

Second, I've been eating lots of fruit (mostly berries and tangerines) which has slowly been training my taste buds to prefer natural sugars over processed ones. I find that fruit keeps me satisfied (as opposed to Mr. Snickers who just begs for a Butterfinger chaser.)

Third, I've alerted my lovely students (I'm a middle school teacher) about my weight loss goals. They are not only supportive, but they also have stopped bringing me gifts of cookies and candy (which was the main reason for my snack attacks at work.) Letting the people you see everyday know about your goals can really help keep you motivated.

Good luck and best wishes!!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hi Amy!

I'm a sugar addict too. I could use a sponsor.
  • okerachel
    okerachel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Artificial and natural sugars are both my worst migraine triggers.

Yet I keep reaching for that hunk of chocolate thinking..." This time, maybe this time it will be different." :noway: An hour later I'm moaning on the couch hugging a bottle of pain pills.