walking/running

Options
I find that I have more excuses than anyone to NOT get outside. The one excuse that actually has a lot of truth behind it is that I am terrified when I am outside alone!! It is usually dark out, and my heart is pounding before I even start. I try to get out for 30 minutes at least, but most of the time is spent in a panic.

Does anyone else have this problem? What should I do? There is no mall around to walk in, and I cannot afford a gym membership.

Replies

• micha1984
    Options
    Try some video's like Zumba or Belly Dancing or there are even Walking videos. You don't have to go out and you can have fun dancing!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Do you live in a Bad neighborhood or something?

Well....walk and/or run with friends. Find a run/walk club near your house.
    Walk during the day??

Bring your dog with you (hopefully you have one...and if you live in a bad neighborhood then I'd get one! haha).
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I'm curious - do you mean that you have some degree of agoraphobia, or do you mean that you live somewhere dangerous?

If it's the latter and you can only exercise after dark, is there anyway you can find a friend or workout buddy to meet you?
    I guess if it's dangerous even during the day, see if you can clear some space in front of your tv and get some dvds. You can
    livestream some Netflix ones. I don't really get TV channels, but if you have cable, etc. maybe you can check out Fit TV, etc.
  • missbricat
    Options
    Is there no way that you could go outside during the day time? If this is not an option, is there a local high school track or well lit park that you could go to if it is dark out?

Also, maybe carrying some kind of protection might ease your mind.
  • jbescherer
    jbescherer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Is there not anytime during daylight that you can get out, say a lunch break or something? also Dogs are wonderful partners for walking. Mine has so much fun when we go for a walk that it brightens my day! I also have an XBOX Kinex to get me moving when it is too cold, dark or inclimate weather outside.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    do you have a church/ school/ community center you could walk at, or a neighbor that would walk with you outside. What about the local YMCA, they might have a fee waiver if you can't afford the gym.

If all that fails walk around in your house. It gets annoying having to turn so much and you'll feel like you are wearing a track into your carpet, but I have done it before when it was WAY to hot to go outside?

I know there are also walking DVDs. My mom likes those.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try walking/running in the morning if it's light out?
    Or you can buy yourself a panic alarm or pepper spray (I think this is illegal in some areas so check it out first).
    Or you can reach out to friend, neighbors or any one in your area to be your walking/running buddy.
    Or you can purchase a tread mill, they have self propelled one's for about $100 I think.

That's all I've got. Good luck.
  • alharbour
    alharbour Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom and I could never find time to work out. I couldn't commit to a gym membership because of having to find a babysitter. Last summer, I bought a used treadmill someone was advertising on Facebook. I started using it a couple times a week, but in January, I made a commitment to use it 6 days a week. For a month, I used it 30 minutes at 2.5 mph, and this week I have bumped up to 3 mph for 1 hour 6 days a week. I have paired this with logging my calories and WOW I am seeing quick, amazing results!
  • ashhills
    ashhills Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm curious - do you mean that you have some degree of agoraphobia, or do you mean that you live somewhere dangerous?

If it's the latter and you can only exercise after dark, is there anyway you can find a friend or workout buddy to meet you?

lol!! No agoraphobia, just paranoid. My neighborhood isn't that horrible, it isn't nice, either. I just always think about how they tell you not to wear a ponytail because someone can grab it. And all the stories about women being attacked while jogging. I'm sure it is all in my head, but it still holds me back.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    If you feel that way, don't run outside, get to a gym and use the treadmill. I know I run outside (during the warmer months) in the town that I work in because where I live doesn't have sidewalks and I feel it would be too dangerous to run on the road. Be safe.
  • ashhills
    ashhills Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do want to run! Thanks for all the advice. The highschool track is a great idea.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I paid $100 for a used treadmill (Pro Form so a decent one, though not high end) and it has been fantastic.