Hot Yoga

Options
:smile:
I don't see anything on here about Hot Yoga regarding calories burned etc...
Anyone know?

Thanks!

Replies

• BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I usually just log mine as regular yoga, which I know is probably lower calorie burn than hot yoga, but I figure that's ok since the calorie burn estimations on here are typically a bit high anyway.

I do LOVE some hot yoga though :)
  • jtcc91
    jtcc91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I've wondered this myself and after looking around online, I came across this site:

http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/weight-loss-and-yoga.htm

Not sure how accurate it is, but might still give you a good idea of what your calorie burn is!
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    I've wondered this myself and after looking around online, I came across this site:

http://www.bikram-yoga-noosa-australia.com/weight-loss-and-yoga.htm

Not sure how accurate it is, but might still give you a good idea of what your calorie burn is!

Holy ****, I just entered in my info for "Intense Yoga" since Hot Yoga isn't quite as hardcore as Bikram (but still pretty intense) and it says I burn 511 calories in one hour! That's way more than the MFP traditional yoga calculation...I'm gonna assume the actual is somewhere in the middle maybe?
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM when I practice hot yoga. My calorie burn was 500ish cals for a 90 minute class.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    I wear a HRM when I practice hot yoga. My calorie burn was 500ish cals for a 90 minute class.

I just added "Hot Yoga" into the database with a calorie burn of 500 for 90 minutes. This probably will vary from person to person, but that's a good ballpark figure to go off of. Thanks!
  • jtcc91
    jtcc91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It's been quite some time since I've gone to a hot yoga class.. I forgot what a great workout it can be! I have a great studio walking distance from my house. I gotta get myself in for a class! :)
  • fromouterspace
    fromouterspace Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    oh man, i drank so much water before, ate a banana, and it might have been because i was getting sick or that i dont really do well with the heat at all but i almost passed out when i did hot bikram yoga, and i ended up puking! it was so pathetic. haha

im really intrigued by it and would love to go, i just wish it was a little bit cooler in the room. it was so overbearing for me, agh!

and yes, when i went to enter it, it wasnt in the database so i just logged it as regular yoga; so thank you for adding it to the database ! ^.^ <3
  • Hilary75
    Hilary75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I can only practice on a completely empty stomach. I even wait until the class is over for water I just can't do planks, inversions etc with anything in my stomach w/o feeling like I'm going to barf.
  • LBachynsky
    Options
    I just went to yoga for the 2nd time ever. 1 hour of fitness yoga. My hrm says I burned 141 calories. Can that be right? I don't feel like I can honestly log that and eat it back. I probably burn that much watching TV for an hour in my recliner.
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    oh man, i drank so much water before, ate a banana, and it might have been because i was getting sick or that i dont really do well with the heat at all but i almost passed out when i did hot bikram yoga, and i ended up puking! it was so pathetic. haha

im really intrigued by it and would love to go, i just wish it was a little bit cooler in the room. it was so overbearing for me, agh!

and yes, when i went to enter it, it wasnt in the database so i just logged it as regular yoga; so thank you for adding it to the database ! ^.^ <3

You may have actually burned more, because traditional Bikram is more intense than standard hot yoga. Hot yoga is a heated room, but no humidity. Bikram is the whole shebang!
  • BAMFMeredith
    Options
    I just went to yoga for the 2nd time ever. 1 hour of fitness yoga. My hrm says I burned 141 calories. Can that be right? I don't feel like I can honestly log that and eat it back. I probably burn that much watching TV for an hour in my recliner.

Hmm that sounds awfully low to me. I would have to take the class though to know what the activity level is like (never taken a fitness yoga class). I don't take yoga for the purpose of getting a good burn though, I take them to stretch and tone muscle, just so happens I get a good burn in. That said, I only take heated classes so that may be why my calorie burn is higher.
  • itsallyson
    itsallyson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I remember a couple years ago I wore my bodybugg in one of the classes and burned about 600cals (i weighed 130ish then)
    Hope this helps!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body type, weight, length of the session (typically they are 75mins), intensity, age, etc...I think it can be anywhere from 500-1000....not sure.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I log a 90 minute Bikram session as 500 calories burned (I'm 112 lbs by the way). Most fitness websites claim the burn is much higher, but I find that hard to believe. It's certainly a tough workout, but no other exercise I do burns anywhere near that number of calories, so I'd rather stick with a more conservative estimate.
  • LBachynsky
    Options

Hmm that sounds awfully low to me. I would have to take the class though to know what the activity level is like (never taken a fitness yoga class). I don't take yoga for the purpose of getting a good burn though, I take them to stretch and tone muscle, just so happens I get a good burn in. That said, I only take heated classes so that may be why my calorie burn is higher.

I want yoga for the same reasons, but why not get some burn in at the same time? :)

I just received Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown from Amazon yesterday. I hope I can reap all the benefits.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

Huh? 141 calories is nothing to scoff at. Definitely more than you'd burn doing nothing! It might not burn as much as runnning for an hour, but in my opnion its a lot more enjoyable. :)
  • lisa91263
    Options

That seems right to me I wear my hrm and burn about 175 for a 75 min class remember the breath movement in yoga can actually slow your heart rate but it is still great for tonoing and strengthening. I just wouldnt eat back those calories burned
  • kapspecial
    kapspecial Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I love hot yoga this is my third week going. I was logging it at 300 because I saw something regarding Bikram yoga that folks burn between 500-1000 calories for a full hour and at my gym it ends up being about 45 mins total. Today I wore my new heart rate monitor (I feel official) and it said I burned 290. I'm still a beginner and can't hold all of the poses for extremely long, but I sweat like a...what's really sweaty? Well let's just say I sweat a lot. :)
  • scubachic77
    scubachic77 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can use Hatha Yoga - that is in the db.
  • ehunte
    ehunte Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have a HRM and I burn about 400 calories during the 90 minute Bikram class.