50 and a Newbie

Options
Hi everyone, I am new to MFP and even though I have been logging in for a little over a week, I am just getting around to discovering the message boards and seeing all the friendly support that everyone gives each other. How great is that!!

I am approaching turning 50 this year and this is my year to really get control of my health and lifestyle and turn it around so that I hopefully can live another 50 years. :) My main goal is to get to a healthy BMI. I know I won't have the body of my young 20's, but I just want to eat right, exercise and commit to not gaining another excessive pound. Hopefully, but committing to a food journal, I will be able to meet my goals. I am a gym rat, I love going to the gym and you would think I would be a skinny thing, but I am not. I carry most of my excess weight in the old booty and thighs and have started recently with this muffin top around my waist.. What is it that happens to our bodies in our 40's. Hope I can control the muffin before I become a total cupcake.

Anyway, I am glad to be here, love reading your posts and tips......

Mom22yorkies... :)

Replies

• gjc50
    gjc50 Posts: 35
    Options
    hi, we have alot in common! welcome! i wanna be a gym rat! no time for it! i would settle for a gym anything at the moment!
  • gabe_irun4coffee
    gabe_irun4coffee Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP I think you will like this site lots of information and support. I'm always looking for friends in my age group so feel free to add me for support and a little humor. Good luck
  • bethwoodhall
    bethwoodhall Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It is even more important that we begin to be proactive about our health, rather than reactive, so I'm with you. Good job on the gym rat. Have you ever done threading? it is a cardio workout that I was taught at a fitness camp and it has worked well for me - quick easy and brings good results. Where would you like your BMI to be?
  • mom22yorkies
    Options
    Geb48

Thanks for comment and the welcome... If you would like to be friends on here and help support, feel free to add me. i am still getting used to the site, so bear with me a bit. :) have a nice evening.
  • mom22yorkies
    Options
    Gabe365. thanks for the input, sure, i will add you as a friend, and I can appreciate the humor during this whole process. As I am just learning the ropes here on the MFP, bear with me, but I will get the hang of it.
  • mom22yorkies
    Options
    beth, no I have never heard of threading. Tell me more about it.. I love treadmill/, walking/running and weights. At this point, I am just trying to work on getting my BMI into a healthy range of at least 24. Gonna be awhile before I see that as I really lose pretty slow. Some weeks, I only lose in the tenths of a pound... but any loss is a win in my book.
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Lot in common - just hit the 5 0 mark and need to get rid of the baggage I added. I am working on BMI & BF as well as the weight.

It is harder at 50 but once you start down I am hoping for a snowball. I am now a gym rat 6 ot of 7 days a week I try to get in at least 30-40 cardio.

Beth - never heard of threading?