Light beer or diet soda and liquor?

Options
Which is better overall? I know beer and liquor/diet soda's are both a no no.. Which which is the lesser of the two evils. By light beer I mean bud light, bud light lime, corona light, ect... And by liquor with diet soda I mean a full 1.5 oz shot and any diet soda combo.

I'm asking because diet soda has a bad rep for fake sweeteners

Replies

• yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    The diet soda and liquor has fewer cals, carbs, and contains more alchohol (so more bang for your caloric buck). But there are some pretty low-cal beer options these days (such as Bud Select and a few others that come in around 50-70 cals per bottle). So if you are lucky enough to be at a bar or restaurant that serves these super-light beers, it's a caloric toss-up between those and liquor/diet soda. Overall, it probably comes down to your taste preference and how toasted you're trying to get :drinker:

Oh yeah, and you can also just drink your liquor straight or cut it with water and/or a squeeze of lime to avoid the artificial sweetener issue.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Light beer is a tragedy, plain and simple.

(hint: drink what you like. work it into your calories. it's actually pretty simple).
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    As much as it breaks my hear to say (I work for a beer distributor) liquor and diet soda is definitely the way to go in the diet world.

I save up my calories to drink a tasty craft beer every once in a while because they are just so darn good!

Bud Select and Select 55 are good options, but in my opinion, they taste like water. (My company sells Bud so this isn't me being a beer snob!)
  • TequillaLover89
    TequillaLover89 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The diet soda and liquor has fewer cals, carbs, and contains more alchohol (so more bang for your caloric buck). But there are some pretty low-cal beer options these days (such as Bud Select and a few others that come in around 50-70 cals per bottle). So if you are lucky enough to be at a bar or restaurant that serves these super-light beers, it's a caloric toss-up between those and liquor/diet soda. Overall, it probably comes down to your taste preference and how toasted you're trying to get :drinker:

Oh yeah, and you can also just drink your liquor straight or cut it with water and/or a squeeze of lime to avoid the artificial sweetener issue.
    I don't like the taste of bud select and super low calorie beers like that. The reason I cut it with diet soda is for the flavor and having a larger drink to sip on. The same reasons why I like the around 100 cal beers. Bud light platinum is only 130 calories and 6% ((one of my new favorite beers)) but the 130 calories pushes me away and the extra carbs as opposed to diet soda and liquor...

Decisions... :/
  • TequillaLover89
    Options

(hint: drink what you like. work it into your calories. it's actually pretty simple).
    I like light beer & I like diet soda's and liquor. That's the problem. I was just hoping one would happen to be better than the other
  • TequillaLover89
    Options

Bud Select and Select 55 are good options, but in my opinion, they taste like water. (My company sells Bud so this isn't me being a beer snob!)
    Totally agree with those tasting like water!! Yuck
  • darylspindler
    darylspindler Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Whatever happened to my favorites??? Bud Dry and Mich Dry....Good times :)
    As much as it breaks my hear to say (I work for a beer distributor) liquor and diet soda is definitely the way to go in the diet world.

I save up my calories to drink a tasty craft beer every once in a while because they are just so darn good!

• rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Vodka & Sugarfree Red Bull - Case Closed ;)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I drink coors light several in fact once a week.
  • KemaVA
    KemaVA Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I get tequilla and a splash of orange juice!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Whatever happened to my favorites??? Bud Dry and Mich Dry....Good times :)

Haha times have changed! Try our new Bud Light Platinum...it's 6% alcohol (regular Bud Light is around 4.8%), plus more flavor...it's pretty good! (130 calories)
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I have switched to Diet Coke and Jack... Mmmm
  • Taitiant
    Options
    I work it into my Diet for the day..

I love Michalobe Ultra.. and it has more Alch % then Bud 55 crap. .. and i drink Wine, so i work that in there too.. Just dont go Binge drinking every day and u'll be fine!! :drinker:

*Tiff* :flowerforyou:
  • jennkess
    Options
    try Coke/ Pepsi Zero no calories and does not contain the Aspertiem sp? that is suppose to be so bad for you
  • dawg53
    Options
    I find diet coke and crown w/ twist lime the best.
  • KateJo84
    Options
    I'm a beer girl -- the darker the better! I really can't stand diet sodas so this is a no brainer for me.

By using the site, I found out that drinking a pint of guiness is equal to a sam adams. I workout for my beer and will have one guiness (because it fills me), then I switch over to ultra (or ultra amber if they have it).

Do what works for you!
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    If those were the only two choises, I would go for the shot, hold the soda please (1. diet sodas just plain taste nasty to me, 2 I don't go for the artificial sweeteners). But only if it was a nice Irish Whiskey or Scotch.

Personally, I don't consider light beers to be real beer. No offence to those who love them, but neither do I consider Bud, Miller, Coors, etc to be real beers :wink: Give me a microbrew, good import, or craft brew.... I'll find a way to work it into my calory intake!

:drinker:
  • sambee7
    Options

Amen!
  • beckys19
    beckys19 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    A Gin and Tonic sounds mighty mighty good to me..... :bigsmile:
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from hard alcohol most of the time but on occaision will have a coke zero and Captain Morgan. Maybe once a month or every two months though. I do like the White Cranberry Cosmo by Skinnygirl too and will pick up a bottle here and there. Mostly though I'm a beer and wine girl. I switched from the high calorie IPA's we were drinking to Sam Adams Light but most nights I fit one or two into my calories and usually some wine. As long as it fits I don't worry about it!