Oh Water! How could I have been so wrong?

Options
2»

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is not healthy and should be removed where possible from our diets.

Orly?
    Is aspartame safe?

Yes. Aspartame has been tested for more than three decades, in more than 200 studies, with the same result: Aspartame is safe. In fact, the FDA Commissioner, upon approving aspartame, noted, “Few compounds have withstood such detailed testing and repeated, close scrutiny, and the process through which aspartame has gone should provide the public with additional confidence of its safety.”

Have other regulatory bodies reviewed aspartame's safety?

Yes. In addition to FDA, aspartame has been reviewed and determined to be safe by the Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) of the Food and Agriculture Organization/World Health Organization, the Scientific Committee on Food of the European Commission, and the regulatory bodies of over 100 countries.

Have independent health organizations reviewed the safety of aspartame?

Yes. The American Medical Association’s Council on Scientific Affairs, the American Diabetes Association, and the American Dietetic Association (ADA) have reviewed research on aspartame and found it to be safe. In fact, the ADA’s 2004 updated position paper states, “A comprehensive review of the safety of aspartame has recently been published. The review covers previous publications as well as new information that support the safety of aspartame as a food additive and negates claims of its association with a range of health problems...” Links to numerous other health organizations, which have confirmed the safety of aspartame, can be found at www.aspartame.org.
  • darylspindler
    darylspindler Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thank you
    Aspartame is not healthy and should be removed where possible from our diets.

Orly?
    Is aspartame safe?

Yes. Aspartame has been tested for more than three decades, in more than 200 studies, with the same result: Aspartame is safe. In fact, the FDA Commissioner, upon approving aspartame, noted, “Few compounds have withstood such detailed testing and repeated, close scrutiny, and the process through which aspartame has gone should provide the public with additional confidence of its safety.”

Have other regulatory bodies reviewed aspartame's safety?

Yes. In addition to FDA, aspartame has been reviewed and determined to be safe by the Joint Expert Committee on Food Additives (JECFA) of the Food and Agriculture Organization/World Health Organization, the Scientific Committee on Food of the European Commission, and the regulatory bodies of over 100 countries.

Have independent health organizations reviewed the safety of aspartame?

Yes. The American Medical Association’s Council on Scientific Affairs, the American Diabetes Association, and the American Dietetic Association (ADA) have reviewed research on aspartame and found it to be safe. In fact, the ADA’s 2004 updated position paper states, “A comprehensive review of the safety of aspartame has recently been published. The review covers previous publications as well as new information that support the safety of aspartame as a food additive and negates claims of its association with a range of health problems...” Links to numerous other health organizations, which have confirmed the safety of aspartame, can be found at www.aspartame.org.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I agree it's not just the water, but the NOT drinking an artificially sweetened carbonated drink. The carbonation is a 5.5pH, which makes us more acidic, increases inflammation and all kinds of stuff. Certain foods create inflammation specifically in the intestines, which means weight gain. You did great to make the change... remember our taste buds only live 7 DAYS, so within a week, even your taste buds won't 'crave' the soda... just your brain/memory will possibly want it!!

As far as I knew carbonated water, such as plain club soda, was neutral. Soda/pop/whatever is very high in phosphoric acid though which has nothing to do with the carbonation.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I hate water but know I have to drink it but 70 oz. a day, I'd never leave the bathroom. Please tell me if the flavorings you can buy now to add to water are any good for you? Maybe this would help me drink that needed water.

out of curiousity, what are you basing your 70oz intake number off of?
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I agree it's not just the water, but the NOT drinking an artificially sweetened carbonated drink. The carbonation is a 5.5pH, which makes us more acidic, increases inflammation and all kinds of stuff. Certain foods create inflammation specifically in the intestines, which means weight gain. You did great to make the change... remember our taste buds only live 7 DAYS, so within a week, even your taste buds won't 'crave' the soda... just your brain/memory will possibly want it!!

Yeah, I could see this being a problem when it hits the acidic stomach environment where the average pH is 1.5-3.5.