Healthy? Chinese Food

Options
The office wants to order chinese food for lunch today (yes already talking about lunch) they mentioned there is are "healthy" options on the menu. I tried searching the MFP food data base for calorie values but did not come up with anything. It may be the way I searched for it. Anyway, I am trying to determine if there is even such a thing as healthy chinese food and if so what the best option would be for me to choose. I am going to try and google calorie content of the food to also get an idea.

Replies

• hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Beef and brocoli is really low cal when I get it from Panda Express...Instead of rice or noodles get steamed veggies and drink loads of water...bc whether low cal or not its gonna be looooooooooaded with sodium

Also see if they have sushi (just don't get anything with tempura in front of it, or anything with a mayo based sauce), or spring rolls. forgo the soy sauce and use chili sauce for extra flavor :drinker:
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    yes there is such a thing as Healthy Chinese food............there vegetables steamed of course............chicken with broccoli and if all else fails they have a section on the menu that says Healthy Choice............as for finding it on MFP I think if you just type in Chinese it may pop up.......can't remember I did it...........good luckl
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    yes there is such a thing as Healthy Chinese food............there vegetables steamed of course............chicken with broccoli and if all else fails they have a section on the menu that says Healthy Choice............as for finding it on MFP I think if you just type in Chinese it may pop up.......can't remember I did it...........good luckl

Yep just tried it type in Chinese and that gives you a list of things.............hope this helps
  • alicia2601
    alicia2601 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    At our local chinese restaurants, they have a section on the menu labeled "diet dishes" where all the veggies are steamed and they serve the sauce on the side w/ white rice.
  • Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I too enjoy beef and broccoli .. we have a beef and snow peas dish (this does come up on the MFP database.. I've used it, as does chow mein, and guy ding) , tai dop voy, and chicken chow mein or chicken almond guy ding are excellent, not fried and loaded with vegetables. I would say stay away from anything fried (chicken balls, egg rolls, breaded shrimp etc).. stay away from the sweet and sour sauce, drain any sauces off of dishes that have a lot of soy sauce to limit the sodium, and keep your rice portion smaller and you should be fine. Another option: Use a bread and butter plate and load it up.. when it's gone, you're done. you can always bless someone with the leftovers or save for a second meal. Enjoy!
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, this does help. I think I am going with the chicken and steamed vegtables with rice and sauce on the side. I may even not get the rice or sauce. A co-worker says the local place is usually pretty good about "custom" orders.
  • Crystal0827
    Crystal0827 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    And yes when I just type chinese food, I get the calorie contents to come up. I think w/avoiding the sauce I can avoid the high level of sodium. Tomorrow is my weigh in for Biggest Loser at work and I dont want to be retaining a bunch of water for the weigh in.
  • alicia2601
    alicia2601 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    So what did you go with? :)