anyone with underactive thyroid?

Options
i was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and have been taking medication for about 3 years now...was curious if anyone else has this issue and what others opinions are about an underactive thyroid and trying to lose weight...?

Replies

• wassalla
    wassalla Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I also have an underactive thyroid (hypothyrodism). I was diagnosed at 7 years old after a series of events that left me in hospital. I have been taking tablets since that time. I honestly dont think this will prevent weight loss as long as your doctors are happy about your dosage :)
  • kkjay
    kkjay Posts: 62
    Options
    I have this problem as well and before I was put on medication losing weight was nearly impossible. Now that I'm on medication and my levels are regulated (which took awhile) I'm finally losing weight. I'm pretty sure when you're on medication and your levels are fine, losing weight isn't that much harder than it is for someone who doesn't have hypothyroidism, but everyone is different.
  • wassalla
    wassalla Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    agreed, the most difficult part of weight loss for me isnt the food.....well, so much...although i miss bread, cakes, etc...lol. Changing my lifestyle to be more active has deff been the hardest as i have a sit down job and a young daughter and jst want to sit down at the end of the day. Since ive been making a concerted effort to be more active ive started to see the scales slowly looking happier! :D
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I have it from birth (Congenital Hypothyroidism). As a baby I was chubby until it was treated and I'd got to point I could walk everywhere and run about then I slimmed down as an active child.

I didn' t have any more issues until I was in early thirties and started having mobility problems, due to stress my thyroid started producing T3 (my dad had cancer at the time and was dying) with the crippling fatigue and struggling to walk I went up from the 9st range which I was most of my life to 16st!

Once they sorted my thyroid and I got some energy levels i lost weight mainly form having to push myself around in wheelchair as unfortunatly by the time they discovered I also had a neurological conditions which was irreversible. It tooka few years but got down to 11st 7, then put a stone on from meds and got stuck at 12 st 7 for a while.

Starting couting cals last june but was slow loss until I dropped wheat around end of August after reading that people with hypothyroidism often had problems with it. I dropped about 18lbs sept/oct after only losing 9lbs in the first 3 months.

I'm down 2 and half stone now to 10st, 7lb to go, I will stay mainly wheat free and low carb. I have more energy and have managed to increase my exercise time also. did nearly 2 hours on wii today (not together 1hr this morning and 50mins after dinner to burn just over 1,000 extra calories) and hoping to be 9st something by the end of this month for the first time in years!
  • sassy0507
    Options
    WOW shakeybabe...you are doing wonderful!!!

thanks for all your input guys!! :) i wasnt trying to use it as an excuse for not losing weight in the past, but curious if others had any other suggestions as opposed to what im doing now.... :)
  • dpayne70587
    dpayne70587 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm new to MFP and was going to ask the same question, I only manage to loose weight if I cut out the bad carbs (bread,potatoes,pasta and rice) and really count the calories, although my energy levels increase with my weight loss I find it takes forever to start to see a change in my weight by which time I've usually given up as all the pain with no gain (or loss) can get you down after a while, then I convince myself I like being fat (which obviously is a lie). Would be good to know what works for others.