hi I'm Matt from Brighton and a newby

Options
hi I'm Matt from brighton uk, been using the app for nearly a month and love it, i have lost nearly 4KG already, but am not getting enough calcium and not drinking enough water, and i wonder how accurate the calorie burning calculations is on the site?

Replies

• pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Hi, hope you like MFP as much as I do! Feel free to add me as a friend :smile:
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Bold answer: it is accurate as you want to be.
    The food DB is created by users like me and you (at least 90% of it). For every single food there are many options. Check 1st the ones that are confirmed by other users and then check the nutritional info if the specific fields (e.g. calcium) are filled out or not. You always have the choice to create your own food gathering nutritional info from the specialized sites on the internet.
  • mfjutras
    mfjutras Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hey Matt :) The calories burned isn't that bad but you really need to know yourself. I'm a grad student so I'm at a computer most of the day so I ended up putting my settings at sedentary. I also recently bought a fitbit (It's like a super fancy pedometer which is quite accurate for calories because it monitors you all day). I've noticed that in general I'm burning like 400-500 more calories then the sedentary setting. So really it just comes down to picking the right settings and knowing your own body.
  • flipperflapper
    flipperflapper Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi Matt
    I spoke with an nhs dietician and she said that there is a tendency on this site to overestimate how many calories each exercise burns. She felt that it can be overly generous. Still you must be doing something right by losing 4k in a short time.
  • wassalla
    wassalla Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    hey matt :) welcome! and welll done so far!