What did you eat?

Options
Holy tilapia! We went to Ocharley's on a whim for lunch. I chose the teriyaki sesame talapia, thinking it was a pretty healthy choice. And I don't have internet on my phone. It had 870 calories:noway: All it was is fish, rice and some peppers. How in the world could it have that many calories? I didn't eat all of the rice and none of the peppers(they were mushy)

What have you eaten that had more calories than you thought?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Holy tilapia! We went to Ocharley's on a whim for lunch. I chose the teriyaki sesame talapia, thinking it was a pretty healthy choice. And I don't have internet on my phone. It had 870 calories:noway: All it was is fish, rice and some peppers. How in the world could it have that many calories? I didn't eat all of the rice and none of the peppers(they were mushy)

dont know but 870 sounds very high. I am having 12 oz of tilapia tonight (at home) and its only 400 cals. I doubt Ocharleys served up 12 oz. so there must be alot of cals in the sauce and rice. but still...that seems high
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    The rice & sauce they use probably has a ton of calories.
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I would say the sauce
  • pwillini84
    Options
    As someone who cooks for a living, I'll tell you most sauces are high in calories, fat and sodium. These are the things that make everything taste good. You'd have been better off if you'd asked them to grill or poach the fish, substitute the vegetable of the day for the rice and leave the sauce in the kitchen.

dont know but 870 sounds very high. I am having 12 oz of tilapia tonight (at home) and its only 400 cals. I doubt Ocharleys served up 12 oz. so there must be alot of cals in the sauce and rice. but still...that seems high
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I always thought salads were healthy... I used to order a chicken caesar wrap at d'angelos because i thought iwas one of the healthier options on the menu.. well i was completly wrong because it was just shy of 1,000 calories with over 50 g of fat... Boy did i learn my lesson.. Just cause things may sound healthy.. if your getting from a fast food place.. they are more than likely not.
  • ashquin
    ashquin Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i love the tilapia from applebees. and everything on their menu has the calorie count which is helpful
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    an avocado or a banana...totally not :explode: it. Candy is less.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    an avocado or a banana...totally not :explode: it. Candy is less.

true but avocado is such good fuel...worth the calories to me
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Last night I had steamed dumplings at a chinese place. O man no bueno. I entered it and saw the calories and was like OMG!! :noway:
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    most of the calories probably came from the rice, sauce, and maybe even how they cooked the fish (did they add butter or oil?)
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    . O man no bueno.

LOL
  • zoeengland2000
    Options
    Nuts, I know they are better cals than chocolate, but to me they are like Pringles, once u pop u can't stop!
  • crysmcd1
    Options
    a coworker knew it was my birthday and made me fully organic, gluten free carrot cupcakes. i entered her recipe into MFP and found out that ONE cupcake was 648 calories and 50grams of fat. mind you, it contained flax, grapeseed and coconut oils, which are good for you but still... sigh. thankfully i barely ate much at dinner... what we think is "healthy" sometimes deceives us.
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I got a burger once at The Fox And Hound (that was so huge I couldn't finish it anyway) and came home to look up the calories... 1760!! I was never so thankful for the portion I didn't eat!

Shannon
  • peacemongernc
    peacemongernc Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Nuts, I know they are better cals than chocolate, but to me they are like Pringles, once u pop u can't stop!

I've started counting out almonds and putting 28grams of almonds in a little container I keep in the car. It has 180 calories... nothing to sneeze at, but they are nutrition packed. When I eat those it has enough dense nutrition that I can drive by tempting drive thrus with ease and make home without junk food. I've discovered that I'm satisfied with that little bit of nuts. It surprised me. Normally I could eat the whole bag.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Safeway's version of Fig Newtons. 70 calories each.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I buy my parmesan herb crusted tilapia 2 frozen filets at Safeway and there is less than 300 cal per filet, so not sure why so high, love my tilapia!
  • nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    most of the calories probably came from the rice, sauce, and maybe even how they cooked the fish (did they add butter or oil?)

Not sure if they add oil or not. It had grill marks and was pretty dry.