Juice Detox

Options
Im doing a juice detox for the weekend, do you guys think its a good or bad idea? :S

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Depends why u r doing it.
  • michelle916
    Options
    I'm on day two of a three day juice cleanse. I'm doing it to cleanse myself of the stuff that hangs out in my body without passing through. I say go for it. It'll make you feel good after and much more conscious of what you eat.
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    not a bad idea at all as long as your making your own juice :-)
  • amyofftherecord
    amyofftherecord Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're hoping to boost your weight loss, it's a terrible idea. Detox "diets" are based on low calorie intake, and are basically starvation in the guise of natural health.

If you're doing it purely to detox, keep in mind there is a lot of anecdotal evidence on both sides of whether or not detoxes work at all, and little concrete proof of anything. If you feel like having just juice this weekend, by all means enjoy yourself, but the body is designed to flush toxins well enough on its own; juice (especially if you're buying it bottled and not juicing your own organic foods) isn't going to do anything your body can't already do.
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My experience and only advice for you is to make sure that your juices aren't just fruit. Greens such as spinach, swiss chard, kale, etc. are so important for juice fasts for their nutrition and protein building amino acids.

I also agree with the poster above - it does depend on why you are doing it. I've done them before with wonderful results. Just do your research and find knowledgeable support where ever you can.

I know of some informative supportive forums if you are interested - you can PM me.
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    few weeks ago I started with a Kidney detox then followed with a liver detox then a colon ...I read about it online and asked my dr and he said sounded fine :-)
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Bad idea. You have amazing organs that do that for you. You do not need to detox. A weekend full of juice with little protein? Pointless.
  • NellyGurl11
    Options
    Im going to be making my own juice, I have a juicer and love using it! And im having vegetable broth for dinner. And its only for 2-3 days. :) Then i'll slowly build back up to normal/healthy eating.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Bad idea and totally pointless in my opinion. Your body detoxes itself naturally.
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Im going to be making my own juice, I have a juicer and love using it! And im having vegetable broth for dinner. And its only for 2-3 days. :) Then i'll slowly build back up to normal/healthy eating.

So you understand this 'detox' is abnormal and unhealthy, yet still chose to do it?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Juice Detox = going cold turkey on the steroids?
  • wassalla
    wassalla Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I read Jason Vale the juice master and used it to kick start the weight loss. It works....its hard, but it works. I didnt really feel hungry and he even writes out a program to follow for jst a week, i jst missed chewing...lol, but as i said...its only for 7 days and he doesnt recommend any longer on just juice. I use it as a detox but only go back to it every 6 months. :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There is no point to it and no physical benefits. The whole concept of "detox" is one of the more elaborate hoaxes in the health/fitness industry.

It has an appealing "logic" the the idea seems to meet some deep-seated psychological need we have as humans--that's why the idea doesn't die.
  • NellyGurl11
    Options
    Would you guys say its okay if you're constipated or something?! Im using it as a flush for my body. geez. -.-
  • Sorova
    Sorova Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Nobody is trying to be mean to you, NellyGurl. They're just trying to explain that a juice fast, whether for weight loss or for "detox" reasons, is not likely to offer you the benefits you want. Your profile says you want to "get healthier." A juice detox will not help you do that, unfortunately. It is just a waste of your time unless you have specific medical or religious reasons for wanting to fast.

The human body has a complicated system of digestion and waste processing, and depends on a steady stream of sufficient water, calories, and nutrients for this process. The human body does not "flush" or "detox" with special powders or juices or fasting. It might sound good, but it's just not the way we work.

If you are experiencing constipation, try increasing natural fibre like fruits and vegetables, and drinking more water. Speak with a doctor or nurse if it doesn't improve within a couple of days.

A quick snippet from the Mayo Clinic:

Detox, or detoxification, diets are popular, but they're not scientifically proven.

Detox diets are touted as a way to remove toxins from the body. Specific detox diets vary — but typically a period of fasting is followed by a strict diet of raw vegetables, fruit and fruit juices, and water. In addition, some detox diets advocate using certain herbs and other supplements along with colon cleansing (enemas) to help empty the intestines. Most detox diets last seven to 10 days.

Some people report feeling more focused and energetic during and after detox diets. However, this may be due to a belief that they're doing something good for their bodies. There's little evidence that detox diets actually remove toxins from the body. Most ingested toxins are efficiently and effectively removed by the kidneys and liver and excreted in urine and stool.

It's also important to consider possible side effects. Among other problems, detox diets can lead to:

Dehydration
    Fatigue
    Dizziness
    Nausea
    If you're considering a detox diet, get the OK from your doctor first — and remember, the best diet is a healthy diet based on fruits and vegetables, whole grains and lean sources of protein.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Just eat better food. Ditch the processed crap, eat clean and your liver and kidney will take care of the rest.
  • NellyGurl11
    Options
    Im going to do this because apparently with hypothyroidism a natural detox is good for you. So yeah, thanks for your opinions guys.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Im going to do this because apparently with hypothyroidism a natural detox is good for you. So yeah, thanks for your opinions guys.

Not sure why you asked. Everyone said it's a bad idea, but you are doing it anyway. Why ask if you really don't want the answer?

The best way to "detox" is to eat clean. Get processed food and sugar out of your system - you will feel MUCH better.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

No, it's not. This simply isn't true. Where did you get that information?
  • jcredaj
    Options
    I'm in the process of rebooting. @Fat Sick and Nearly Dead style. After my fast, I plan on going raw.

It's worked for several people I know. The weight GOES and if you stick with it....it never comes back.