1200 calorie goal

Options
I was given a 1400 something calorie goal by MFP but I changed it to 1200. is anyone else trying to consume only 1200 calories?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You might want to rethink this ....

I WAS given 1200 calories and yes, I stick to 1200 calories NET (net means that I eat my exercise calories back). I'm 5'5" and weigh 140

If you are significantly larger ...... then maybe 1400 is where you SHOULD be. Healthy weight loss leaves room for your body to function properly and lose weight at the SAME time..... Lose weight too fast & you will lose muscle mass. Muscle mass helps your body's metabolism function properly and helps you look good. You don't want to be light weight .... yet all jiggly.
  • mrsepiphany
    mrsepiphany Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    yea i was starting to thing about that. I already got a jiggly stomach after losing weight really fast after my last baby this past November.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I was given a 1400 something calorie goal by MFP but I changed it to 1200. is anyone else trying to consume only 1200 calories?

The less weight you have to haul around, the fewer calories you need, so MFP will probably reduce your goal to 1200 something soon enough. You might want to get there with a high enough metabolic rate to continue losing at that calorie level. That means getting the exercise and fuel (calories) you need to conserve your muscle mass.
  • susanwair
    susanwair Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have been on the 1200 calorie a day goal since 12/30/11 and have lost 13 lbs. Not always easy- but it can be done. I can tell you the first few weeks will be rough..lots of hunger pains.
    Try to eat something about every 3 hours and that seems to help.
    Good Luck:smile:
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have been on 1200 since January 5th and I'm not going to say that I always stay under but when I go over it's usually less than 100 calories. I have lost 17 pounds.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I am on 1200 calories per day.

The trick is to watch what you eat, make sure you get lots of protein because it fills you up. If anybody insists on eating cakes etc, they will just have to bear in mind that they can be high in calories, which will take away from the meals.
  • miller0438
    miller0438 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Im confused because i weight over 200lb(221) and they put me on 1200 that seems low to me?
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    I was given 1300 + calories... I think they factor in what you weigh now with what your goal is so it's safe for you to lose it. If you try to restrict your calorie intake too much you body with go into starvation mode and keep every thing you eat and you won't lose the fat, but you will lose what muscle you have.

try the 1400 calorie thing and see what happens. work out with weights and do some cardio too. lifting will build muscle and muscle uses more calories, so you will lose easier. but if you are gaining muscle and not watching what you're eating and how much, you will have an increase on the scale.

I was told that losing some of the water weight first is important. then you don't get discouraged. :) as long as you give your body just enough, it will burn the fat too... hope this helps! The calorie counter thing helps alot!!!
  • ask4itall
    Options
    My goal is higher than 1200 calories; however, I average just shy above 1200c/day...and I get more than enough to eat. Check out my meals.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    yes, that's too low! maybe you should input your answers differently... your goal weight probably played a big part in you calorie allotment. try take baby steps, like maybe lose 20 pounds at a time instead of putting your goal as ... 50? remember its a computer doing these calculations! and it doesn't know everything, just what we put in it! :) God bless!
  • TriciaMaina
    Options
    I manually set my goal at 1200, I started in January around 291lbs and today, I'm 273lbs. I have spike days once a week and try to get in three or four gym trips a week (mostly cardio, but off days I do strength training). I generally eat vegan but supplement for protein and fiber if I need it that day. I don't mind the 1200 cal. thing, I used to eat back my calories....but at some point I read that it wasn't good to do that, so I just eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I eat LOTS of greens/nuts/etc to stay full. I usually don't feel tired either! It's been really great and I feel good :)
  • mrsepiphany
    Options
    Im confused because i weight over 200lb(221) and they put me on 1200 that seems low to me?

yea that is weird because i am 263 and they gave me 1460... maybe it's your height and goal weight....
  • mrsepiphany
    Options
    I manually set my goal at 1200, I started in January around 291lbs and today, I'm 273lbs. I have spike days once a week and try to get in three or four gym trips a week (mostly cardio, but off days I do strength training). I generally eat vegan but supplement for protein and fiber if I need it that day. I don't mind the 1200 cal. thing, I used to eat back my calories....but at some point I read that it wasn't good to do that, so I just eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full. I eat LOTS of greens/nuts/etc to stay full. I usually don't feel tired either! It's been really great and I feel good :)

Yea i manually set mine to 1200 too but i wasn't sure if it was ok to do that. My new calories are about maybe 900-1000
  • mrsepiphany
    Options
    I switched it back to the recommended calorie intake its only 260 more than 1200 so i guess that's not really going to do much. huh?
  • mrsepiphany
    Options
    My goal is higher than 1200 calories; however, I average just shy above 1200c/day...and I get more than enough to eat. Check out my meals.

wow you eat a lot of eggs... is there a reason for that other than the protein?
  • jessashcher
    Options
    I have been on 1200 calories since Sept.2011, I have lost 31lbs. so far, and I seem to be doing just fine on this amount. Some days I eat back all my exercise calories, but other days I don't. I think it all depends on the person.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    i started at 323 lbs and am down to 174 lbs in 15 months. I eat 1200 cals and don't eat any exercise calories back. I used to lose 10 lbs a month.but that has slowed to 6 or 7lbs. The exercise level has increased as the pounds came off. I now do an hour on the treadmill combo run/walk at incline and an hour in the pool 5 days a week.I eat eggwhite and fresh veg for breakfast, salad and 2 oz of lean meat for lunch, and for dinner I have 4oz lean meat and 2 cups of fresh veg. I have 2 snacks a day of the high protein type. I tried increasing to 1400 a few times and I just did not see a 2lb/week loss which was my goal.I guess everyone is different and it is a matter of trying different things. I eat high protein and absolutely no starches whatsoever. Once a month I have a large restaurant dinner with the dessert of my choice. This works for me
  • mrsepiphany
    Options
    i started at 323 lbs and am down to 174 lbs in 15 months. I eat 1200 cals and don't eat any exercise calories back. I used to lose 10 lbs a month.but that has slowed to 6 or 7lbs. The exercise level has increased as the pounds came off. I now do an hour on the treadmill combo run/walk at incline and an hour in the pool 5 days a week.I eat eggwhite and fresh veg for breakfast, salad and 2 oz of lean meat for lunch, and for dinner I have 4oz lean meat and 2 cups of fresh veg. I have 2 snacks a day of the high protein type. I tried increasing to 1400 a few times and I just did not see a 2lb/week loss which was my goal.I guess everyone is different and it is a matter of trying different things. I eat high protein and absolutely no starches whatsoever. Once a month I have a large restaurant dinner with the dessert of my choice. This works for me

Thanks so much for sharing that with me. I really need to stick with once calorie goal and make it work. I like that you gave examples of your meals too.. sooo appreciated it. I will surely use it. Thanks again