My BMI

Options
This is a concern I have about my BMI .......because I have spent my life yo-yo dieting I now have loads of loose skin around my body that surely weighs something and is not going to shrink or go away....friends say" watch you do not lose to much weight this time " which is fine ....but my problem is last time I lost weight with weightwatchers they gave me a goal weight of 10 stone 10 pounds and friends said I had took it to far and looked excessively thin even though for my 5ft 5ins height my goal for BMI was at the top of the healthy range.......I have set the goal on MFP to 11 stone 7 pounds and this will still class me as overweight according to my BMI scale.
So do I lose enough to be in the healthy range or should I allow a little for the loose skin I have?..... which surely weighs something....Just wondering if anyone has a helpful opinion on this one......cant build muscle because of my arthritis problems so thats not an answer for me ....I am not wanting a gorgeous body just a healthy one for my old age as I am 59 in april and want to be as healthy as I can from now on

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    BMI is a rough estimate, not really accurate for individuals. You shouldn't go by an arbitrary number, but lose weight until you look and feel healthy.
  • jessdeweerdt
    Options
    I'm not a very big believer in the BMI.. I think you should maybe keep track of your body fat percentage, that seems more accurate to me. I agree that you should lose until you feel comfortable.. it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks anyway, this is about you and how you feel!
  • kayp1
    kayp1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know where you are coming from Glen. My weight according to the charts should be 9st.7 - 10st.7...not a hope! I look stick thin at anything under 11st and people tell me I look ill.
    I am aiming at 11st 7 - 12st eventually, although anything around 12st 7 will be a major accomplishment.
    I have already started with the "saggy bits", especially as I have a hysterectomy scar which everything seems to hang over!
    Like you, I just need to be healthy because of the arthritis in my feet and my dodgy knees! I also need to be able to keep up with the grandkids.