Am I eating enough...

Options
13»

Replies

• reddi2roll
    reddi2roll Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    First of all, opening your diary to the public will help some..

However, MFP already calculates in a deficit for you to lose weight each day.

So you want to be eating as close to your goal as possible, including eating your exercise calories.

Having a net of 500-700 calories is not what you want.

This.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Well 500-700 net might have been a bit drastic, but on some days it's been in that range. For example today, I'll probably end up eating about 1200-1300 calories for the day, but after I go to the gym, I will be down to about 8-900 net. So it's a little bit better than 5-700, but not much

You definitely need to eat more. I generally eat between 1500-1800 calories, and I am a 200 pound woman. I'd be starving if I ate as little as you did! You are rarely breaking 1500.

You also mentioned monitoring your sodium intake.
    1. Packaged foods are thew worst offender for sodium. And the salt is in unexpected places: breads and cereals can have quite a bit of sodium
    2. Deli meat, even reduced sodium generally has a ton
    3. Packaged veggies also have quite a bit. Get the no salt whenever possible.
    4. Some protein powders have quite a lot of sodium as well

Read labels carefully. Personally, since high blood pressure runs in my family, I try to put any food than contains over 25% of the sodium allotment for the day back. (Of course I have soy sauce, but I try not to use it too often. If I am buying frozen dinners, I tread carefully). I almost exclusively get no salt canned and frozen foods.

You can worry less about table salt, the average person gets the bulk of their sodium from packaged and prepared foods.
  • Edward220
    Options
    Sept 2010 I weighed 405 LBS. I just joined MFP last week because I was fighting a major plateau !! My friend advised me to check out this site because he felt I was not eating enough calories !! After my first week of going by MFP calories I'm down 4 lbs !! When I started out back in Sept. all I did was cut the junk food out and started to eat clean healthier food !! It's hard to give you to much advice without knowing a little bit more about your fitness routine and what your nutrition is !! I am willing to take a closer look at them if you want !! Send me a friend request and we can chat some more. In short I would stay a few hundred under what MFP tells you and I would not eat the extra calories from your workouts !! Unless you are really feeling tired.....
  • jeanbedford
    Options
    Sept 2010 I weighed 405 LBS. I just joined MFP last week because I was fighting a major plateau !! My friend advised me to check out this site because he felt I was not eating enough calories !! After my first week of going by MFP calories I'm down 4 lbs !! When I started out back in Sept. all I did was cut the junk food out and started to eat clean healthier food !! It's hard to give you to much advice without knowing a little bit more about your fitness routine and what your nutrition is !! I am willing to take a closer look at them if you want !! Send me a friend request and we can chat some more. In short I would stay a few hundred under what MFP tells you and I would not eat the extra calories from your workouts !! Unless you are really feeling tired.....
  • jeanbedford
    Options
    you need to eat to lose!