Bread

Options
Ok so I know carbs aren't all bad but I shouldn't be scarfing them down either, so what are some healthy alternatives, what else can you make a sandwich on?

I'm also still confused as to how much is too much. I've been trying to increase my protein and lower my carbs but I seem to be failing. Any advice is welcome.

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like Flat Out wraps. They are 90-100 calories each. My husband likes Arnold's sandwich thins, which are also 100 calories per bun (thin).

ETA - a good rule of thumb is to look for bread/wraps that have at least 5 g of fiber per serving.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problen, I dont get enough carbs.

Portabello mushrooms (I use this for chicken burgers)
    Lettuce (look up lettuce chicken wrap)
    Whole grain tortilla
    You can get whole grain calorie wise bread thats about half the size and cut really thin. I love my slices thin so I like it but usually make homemade
  • ShellBelle6
    ShellBelle6 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I love Village Hearth Light Italian Bread.
    Each slice is only 40 calories
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat pita bread! I use it in place of bread for a sandwich...it has about 130 calories in one pita. :)
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Honestly there are SO many different opinions on including bread and grains in your diet. I tried cutting them out completely and found myself craving them like nobody's business, so I added a few in and went from there. For me, I let myself have one serving of grains (whether it be bread, a wrap, brown rice pasta, rice, quinoa etc.) a day and then get the rest of my carbs from fruits and veggies. The only exception is if I have a long run the next day, then I'll sneak a few more carbs into my meals.

Some hints I've picked up on cutting back on bread:

Make half-sandwiches instead of using two slices of bread

Rice-Cake sandwiches: Whatever you were going to put on a sandwich, slap between a couple rice cakes. I do this for deli meat, egg salad, tuna, almond butter & peanut butter!

Small whole grain tortillas or pitas

Sandwich Thins

Lettuce wraps (Anything you would wrap in a tortilla could be wrapped in a lettuce leaf!)

"Salad Sandwiches" - My boyfriend laughs at me for this one, but sometimes when I really want a sandwich, I just mix all the ingredients I would put on a sandwich (minus the bread) in a bowl and toss it on top of some spinach of mixed greens.

Mountain Flatbread - I'm not sure if this is just a Canada-thing, but if find it at Costco. They're super thin low-cal, low-carb wraps and they honestly still taste delicious!

I hope some of these ideas help! It's important to remember that it's still completely okay to indulge sometimes and that everyone views the inclusion of bread and wheat/grain products in their diet differently. What works for one person might not work for someone else.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I swear everyone on MFP is so creative, I just got so many good suggestions I will be getting some of these items to my grocery list since I'm a sandwich lover. Thanks everyone!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    1g per lb of lean body mass in protein
    .35 time body weight for g of fat
    rest in carbs

I love bread :] I eat it nearly daily
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    1g per lb of lean body mass in protein
    .35 time body weight for g of fat
    rest in carbs

I love bread :] I eat it nearly daily

tada
  • capnwo85
    capnwo85 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Best Bread, IMO. Eat it twice daily, sometimes 3x a day.

http://www.foodforlife.com/product-catalog/ezekiel-49/breads
  • kp1439
    kp1439 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Arnold - Healthfull Hearty Wheat Bread, 2 slice 38g is good .. very low in calories also
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    i buy the weight watchers whole wheat. 80 calories for 2 slices
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten intolerant so I long for warm french bread. Sad.

But there is a GF bread called Ud's Whole Grain and it's only about 60 calories a slice (I think). It's really good too!
  • juliedee6
    juliedee6 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread has 80 calories per slice. It is made of sprouted grains and is organic. There is no flour used and there is a low sodium variety. Google it to find out what varieties are made and where in your town you can find it. Check the pull date on the tab to make sure it is not almost expired. It is a moist bread and will mold quickly. I split my loaf in half and freeze the rest.
  • HoLLyZ82
    HoLLyZ82 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    i eat lots of bread. i buy Healthy Life whole wheat bread. its 35 cals a slice and a total of 8 g of carbs a slice. Mmmm
  • wendymg321
    Options
    I also eat Healthy Life bread, everyday! It tastes great and I love the english muffins with sugar free jelly for a "sweet" snack!
  • vegancupcake13
    Options
    Learn to bake your own! I am a professional baker but grew up in a self sustainable home and home bread baking is super easy! This way you can control what goes in and pack in lots of grains and good stuff. It's alot healthier and cheaper to make your own.
    You can also easily make gluten free bread and raw bread from fresh sprouts. Fresh bread tastes amazing! I make whole wheat multigrain that has only 50 calories a slice and no nasty add ins.
  • j77r68
    j77r68 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    i love bread especially the bad WHITE stuff. what i use now is ryvita snackbread 6 slices is only 120 calories. unsure of the carb number but i can't see it being too terrible. it also fills you and you can put anything on it